U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM

401 posts, read 914,398 times
fade17:

If you now have the impression that the area around Moscow/Pullman is rolling farm country pretty much as far as you can see in any direction, you'd be right. These two towns are given much of their identity by their universities- WSU and U of I. The universities are about 7 miles apart across the state line and share resources. One of my sons attended WSU while doing a grad program in molecular plant science and took some of his classes at the U of I. He liked the Pullman area just fine (particularly the weather- fours seasons with more year round sunshine vs. the frequent gray drizzle weather he grew up with in western WA) but tended to prefer Moscow over Pullman- mainly because he thought the U of I campus was prettier (subjective of course).

The majority of the regional social happenings, sports events etc. etc. in this area are going to revolve around offerings from the universities. IMO, if you're looking for smaller town, somewhat more socially conservative, four seasons living that also offers the entertainment/social amenities provided by proximity to a couple of large universities, then Moscow/Pullman should be to your liking.

In your OP you mentioned a great job offer. That's nice in these economic times! Come on up, rent a place and try the area on for size for a few years. What have you got to loose? Life's an adventure, live it to the fullest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-03-2011, 03:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,874,075 times
Before you move to Pullman, please learn to drink like a Pullmanite.

Unread 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,908 times
What kind of IT work do you do? Both colleges and Schweitzer Engineering often have IT jobs open. Coming from the southwest, you may find the cold winters a little bit of a shock. It is a small community with a 90 minute drive to the nearest Target, Gap, Best Buy, etc... but great for kids. It is one of the reasons we stayed after college. Our kids are now teenagers.

Unread 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,908 times
Moscow tends to be more liberal (their downtown shops reflect it). North and east of Moscow are green, with great mountain biking, fishing, camping, hiking and even snowmobiling in the winter.

Unread 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM

327 posts, read 226,327 times
Well, I'm disappointed after reading this thread, to say the least.

My wife is applying for a position at WSU. While it is too early to draw any conclusions, we think she has a good chance of getting the job. Fortunately, I work at home, so I could go almost anywhere she finds a job. We were excited about the possibility of moving from Indianapolis to WA state. We have a friend (used to live in Indy but hated it in there and moved to CA last year) who did vet school in Pullman and always told us great things about it, so we were under the impression that it was a pretty nice place to live. We remember him saying that he missed the hilly landscape, the outdoor options for entertainment (especially winter activities) and the energized atmosphere. We did not get the impression from him that Pullman was not green either, as he kept saying how nice the landscape and weather was during spring and summer.

Now we are confused with all the posts here bashing Pullman. We are a mid-age family with 2 daughters, one just starting kindergarten this fall and the other a 3-year-old. Any thoughts/advice for us? Greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unread 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM

10,923 posts, read 11,450,750 times
It happens that due to the UW/WSU rivalry most posters in the Seattle area are going to bash Pullman.
Still, the truth is that it's a small college town in the middle of nowhere. Some people do like that. I have a friend in Oakesdale which is way smaller and more remote and loves it there.

Unread 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It happens that due to the UW/WSU rivalry most posters in the Seattle area are going to bash Pullman.
Still, the truth is that it's a small college town in the middle of nowhere. Some people do like that. I have a friend in Oakesdale which is way smaller and more remote and loves it there.
This is true.

But here are the facts. Pullman is small and isolated. Still, as the post I'm quoting mentioned, some like that. To each his/her own. The city does have some nice residential areas away from campus. Perhaps a little pricey for a small town, but true, the University is part of that reality.

Unread 04-01-2012, 08:59 AM

OK, I get it. I was not aware of this UW/WSU rivalry, so that explains all the bashing. I experienced something similar in the past when we lived in College Station - TX. My wife and I were studying at A&M and folks from UT at Austin were always bashing College Station because of the rivalry, not that Austin was actually that nice anyway. Well, we did not have kids back then, but we do now. Young families have different priorities. I have done some more investigation on the life in Pullman and I think it may indeed be a good fit for us. Good public schools with more community engagement from highly educated parents, nice affordable residential areas, 4-season weather (unlike the world famous all-year-long cold drizzle of Seattle), good options for outdoor activities, super safe. It is a fact though that Pullman's location seems a bit odd, too far from major metropolitan areas for more options of entertainment, but that is manageable since people with kids don't do that very often anyway. Another disadvantage I found regards to airport distance. We occasionally (once a year or so) have to travel to South America and I just realize that neither Seattle or Portland have direct flights to our destination. The nearest would be LA! It seems to me that while Seattle and Portland are definitively larger and have more cultural/entertainment options than Pullman, they are not what you can consider a world-class metropolitan area like Chicago, LA, NYC.

Unread 04-01-2012, 09:17 AM

3,790 posts, read 7,599,870 times
If you enjoy the landscape in Kansas or Oklahoma, you will probably like Eastern Washington.

Unread 04-01-2012, 09:30 AM

I have never been to Kansas or Oklahoma but from what I can tell they are actually different from Pullman. KS and OK are mostly very flat according to their terrain in the map.

We now live in Madison-WI, until my wife is done with her current program at UW, then in the Fall, we may either go back to our residence in Indianapolis, or go to where my wife finds a job, and Pullman is in consideration. We think Pullman is in the top of the list actually, because the job would fit well with my wife's background, but you never know. Hopefully she will be invited for an interview and visit soon.

The beauty of the landscape is just part of the whole package, and for family with young kids like us, I would say it would be nice to live a place with a neat landscape but definitively not a show stopper, not even close. Education, safety, good options for family and kids activities (sports and entertainment) are way up there in our list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington