Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM

5,250 posts, read 4,639,824 times

Advertisements

I couldn't help but smile at the notion of Washington state being somewhat of a criminal stronghold, it seems that a lot of folks haven't figured out that the US is undergoing some strange gyrations with regard to the changing social paradigm. Most, yes most, of the US is now afflicted with the manifestations of a nation in decline. That can be substantiated by looking at all the data out there that can pretty well define the geographical area in question. I worked in Federal Way in the sixties, it was a rural portion of the county then, a real gap existed between Tacoma and Seattle back then, farms, a small airport and a sprinkling of homes on acreage were the totality of Federal Way's makeup. Now, jump ahead forty years, overbuilt, multi level demographic, too much growth in too short a time, poor infrastructure, (roads, schools, condos, shopping centers) all built on the quick and dirty, that has been our national legacy for some time, it aint about federal way, it's really about the slow degradation of the US burbs.

Check out the rest of this national forum and you'll quickly see the trend, yes there is a lot of nicer areas in this country when compared to Federal way but the truth is that you can't expect parenting to improve by moving. It's the new age of social and political polarity as is evidenced by the posts on here that reflect the notion that your troubles are somehow connected to the political climes of the state. When you drive across america you can see the homogenized architecture and the cookie cutter people that inhabit these monstrosities, to think that you can change the nature of a people by changing your geographical position suggests that you may be setting yourself up for a terrible awakening, by the way, I live in a small town that would put you to sleep in a heartbeat, there is a ton of these types of towns but there isn't any viable economy to attract young families, get it? That's why they're all clamoring for their place in the sun right there in good ol' Federal Way. I hope you find your ideal place, but it won't be easy trying to get away from the fact of suburbia being the choice of many young families that have those same in your face values that are so common today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,691,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I couldn't help but smile at the notion of Washington state being somewhat of a criminal stronghold, it seems that a lot of folks haven't figured out that the US is undergoing some strange gyrations with regard to the changing social paradigm. Most, yes most, of the US is now afflicted with the manifestations of a nation in decline. That can be substantiated by looking at all the data out there that can pretty well define the geographical area in question. I worked in Federal Way in the sixties, it was a rural portion of the county then, a real gap existed between Tacoma and Seattle back then, farms, a small airport and a sprinkling of homes on acreage were the totality of Federal Way's makeup. Now, jump ahead forty years, overbuilt, multi level demographic, too much growth in too short a time, poor infrastructure, (roads, schools, condos, shopping centers) all built on the quick and dirty, that has been our national legacy for some time, it aint about federal way, it's really about the slow degradation of the US burbs.

Check out the rest of this national forum and you'll quickly see the trend, yes there is a lot of nicer areas in this country when compared to Federal way but the truth is that you can't expect parenting to improve by moving. It's the new age of social and political polarity as is evidenced by the posts on here that reflect the notion that your troubles are somehow connected to the political climes of the state. When you drive across america you can see the homogenized architecture and the cookie cutter people that inhabit these monstrosities, to think that you can change the nature of a people by changing your geographical position suggests that you may be setting yourself up for a terrible awakening, by the way, I live in a small town that would put you to sleep in a heartbeat, there is a ton of these types of towns but there isn't any viable economy to attract young families, get it? That's why they're all clamoring for their place in the sun right there in good ol' Federal Way. I hope you find your ideal place, but it won't be easy trying to get away from the fact of suburbia being the choice of many young families that have those same in your face values that are so common today.
Well said. Simply put, the green grass is becoming less and less and many keep hopping around in hopes of finding paradise...
Right now if it's cheap living there isn't any jobs, and if there is jobs there isn't any cheap living....just fill in the location. I feel sorry for those who come here for some job opening they see here, only to find that they'll find themselves in a crappy apartment on the financial treadmill of which there is no escape...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:57 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,233,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

Darn that's a good post!

My paradise is Seattle. When I lived there I fell in love with that city and it never left me. Mostly, it's the climate and the atomosphere of the people that I love, but I'm tied to Tulsa for the time being. That's okay, too (cept for the stinking summers) because so much of ones' happiness in the place they live is attitude. Not all of it, but a lot. The house I bought in 06' for < 100,000 would have been about 4-500,000 (maybe more) in Seattle during that same period. It's not a perfect house and sure isn't a cookie cutter house, but it's a cool house close to downtown, the river trails, and awesome people.

I read a couple of earlier posts on this thread that mentioned the logging and the fisheries. He sounded much like the oil & gas guys sound down here.

Not every place is for everyone. When you can't be where you'd like to be then you're stuck with making yourself happy to be where you are.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,393,255 times
I have a pretty strong feeling the OP never lived outside the Puget Sound region. Ah, yes, the mentality that Seattle is Washington and Washington is Seattle.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 AM

65 posts, read 147,094 times
I think Olympia can be a very cool city if you like the vibe. No offense to people who live in federal way, but the only way I would live there, is if thats where I was born. In my eyes it is just urban sprawl with a mall.
Only cities I would ever live in, in Washington are: Bellingham, Seattle and Olympia. Just move you can accommodate to a city, but a city can't accommodate to you.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 PM

615 posts, read 1,070,603 times
Overpopulation is killing our country after destroying the third world.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
I had to chuckle at the posting that suggested overpopulation is killing our country as it already has killed the third world. Years ago I worked in a lumber yard/hardware store and out motto was "it'd be a great place to work if we could just keep the people out of there". While I won't deny there are a whole lot of folks living on the planet it may do our bumper-sticker- wisdom friend some good to look into the facts. There are very compelling reasons for people to bunch together in the cities of the world; social-economic, psychological, convenience and many more reasons. There are millions and millions of square miles left uninhabited throughout the world that could indeed be used, setting aside places like the poles, Greenland, etc.. Large metropolitan areas are a dream for political forces of the day. Witness the overwhelming support for Hillary from the population centers on both sides of the country vs. the enormous support for Trump in the more rural regions,,,,,, and don't try to tell me the rural folks are just a bunch of dumb hicks. Walk down any large city street and ask random city dwellers how many branches there are comprising our federal government, then try the same thing in small town USA. I promise you the folks out in ruralville are a heckofa lot smarter and better educated than your prejudices might allow you to think. The herd mentality in the metro areas is appalling and any attempt to have a reasonable political or philosophical discussion can easily result in being shouted at, insulted or even injured. All of this brings me back to the subject at hand,,,,, leaving Wa. State. My wife and I are leaving as soon as our house sells. We have friends who came here from the UK who being sick and disillusioned about so many things in our country are now resettling in Costa Rica. We may join them there,,,, who knows?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,070,603 times
When you double the population and triple the cost of living in 30 years what do you expect to happen?

Washington has been assaulted by big business and immigration and the result is some chaos.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,551 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
When you double the population and triple the cost of living in 30 years what do you expect to happen?

Washington has been assaulted by big business and immigration and the result is some chaos.
or... has totally embraced the theme that 3 counties can control the will of 39 counties. (this forces many 'job-creators' and those who drive economic growth to leave WA State.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington