U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,598,281 times

Advertisements

May be getting transferred, what is good and bad about the Longview/Kelso area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,314,846 times
Longview is considered somewhat the armpit of the Portland area without any of the advantages of being part of the Portland area since it's so far out. Seriously, there are jokes.

I don't think it's a bad area per say, but it attracts a lot of lower income people due to the low cost of living. Longview and Kelso are hardworking shipping towns. Most people are going to be working at one of the mills, plants or docks. Walmart is no doubt another big employer too. One of those going through a round of lay offs can drastically change things pretty quickly.

But, there has been a lot of new development in the past five years which I think has actually helped out a lot. The other part of the problem is that there just isn't a lot of entertainment options, so being a somewhat economically poor area there are more drug problems then average. Consumer prices are a bit higher then Portland, not even accounting for sales tax. Although dining out options tend to be significantly cheaper.

If you're a single young male, dating options are going to be VERY limited, unless you're OK with pregnant-out-of-highschool single mother crowd.

Not trying to scare you off, but it's not Mayberry. I think it's one of those areas that you have to go in with knowing that it's not ideal. There is some small town charm, but there is a lot of suburbs feel going on too.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM

11,277 posts, read 18,932,579 times
do you have kids? (need schools?)

There are definately some bad areas you will want to avoid. Especially near town.

It gets a bad rap, but is not picnic either (drug, meth) . I Would NOT buy a house till I knew I was staying. Do be advised there are some unstable slopes and new houses were falling off the hill a few yrs ago.

I prefer SE Kelso and Carrolls area; or NW Longview BUT I have never lived there.

For public schools.... that will be a hassle once out of elementary, when in High School use Running Start (college for free)

Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 AM

824 posts, read 1,639,961 times
There are several threads I have answered on concerning Longview/Kelso. Look them up in the search box for more info.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM

27 posts, read 43,351 times
Kelso by Butler Acres would probably be best. My son and I lived there for a few years. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anywhere in Longview. It's not ideal at all. When we lived in Kelso/Longview there were a lot of problems with break-ins, drugs, car vandalism, and enough nonstop Jerry Springer style drama for years of shows. There are some awesome folks that live there. However, they are seriously out numbered by those who aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington