U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 13,219 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Bellingham, but I work in Bellevue. I've driven between the two cities, but never in rush hour. Any idea of the time it would take? I live in Central Washington now, over Snoqualmie Pass, and my commute is about 75 minutes, each way. So, I'm not afraid of the commute - just wondering about the time involved. It would actually be better--no blizzards to drive through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 AM

202 posts, read 977,426 times
Default WOW, that seems like a long commute!

That is 90 minutes each way, with no traffic, so I can't imagine what it would be like ... I used to live in the Central District (downtown) and take the bus to work, about 1 mile, so I'm kind of a pansy when it comes to traffic, but I will say that when I used to drive up to see my sister (in Mt Vernon) after work, the traffic through Lynnwood/Everett was always really bad. Without traffic, it was about a 50 minute drive, with traffic it could take up to 3 hours. So I think coming up 405 to I-5, you could probably add 1/2 an hour, and coming through Everett, you could add another hour or hour and a half, if you have anything close to regular hours. Rush hour seems to go from 3:30 to 6:00 in the afternoon. I don't have any feeling for mornings.

Good luck!

Last edited by bmsea; 08-01-2007 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-01-2007, 11:43 AM

5,601 posts, read 12,690,639 times
Yup, I agree with bmsea. It's not bad when there's no traffic. Theoretically, yes, it should take about an hour and a half but if you're commuting during business hours, plan on it taking at least double that time.

As bmsea has said, you'll hit heavy traffic in the morning in the Marysville/Everett area and then again coming south on I-405. Same places in reverse in the PM only worse. If you are working a swing shift it will be better and if a graveyard shift even better ...graveyard hours will probably be close to the 90 minutes because of no traffic.

Also, I-5 is heavily patrolled so speeding is out too.

Yes, good luck!

edit: how can you make it from central Washington to Bellevue in 75 minutes??!! I used to make the Ellensburg to Bellevue drive during business hours and it would be at least 2 hours ...a lot of time consumed was from Issaquah in but that was years ago. Have they done enough improvements to the roadway on I-90 over the pass to go close to 100 mph?

2nd edit: Ok, I read your other post. I can see it taking 75 minutes from Roslyn if the road conditions on the pass are good and you don't hit rush-hour traffic in Issaquah.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-01-2007 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 PM

27 posts, read 127,624 times
I lived in Arlington and commuted to South Everett, and spent about 45 minutes in the car, that's 17 miles. So, good luck with your commute.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 PM

255 posts, read 842,039 times
Well, I'm quite impressed that someone would choose to commute such a distance! So many times I sell houses to folks who want to be closer to work. I guess if you find a community that you like and you're willing to do the time, well, your downtime would be truly sweet.

And, yes, I agree with the general assessment that it could take anywhere up to 3 hours. Since I live in Mount Vernon I have a feel for how far that is. I take real estate classes in Bellevue and it's not for the fainthearted - the drive, that is, not real estate per se.

All the best.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:17 PM

9 posts, read 32,601 times
One of my husband's co-workers commutes from Camano Island to Seattle every day. Most of my co-workers (here in Bellevue) commute from at least 30 min. away.

If you don't mind sitting in traffic or can get in and out early - I don't imagine it would be that bad. Not as pretty or scenic as your current commute of course. It always feels like rush hour traffic moves slow - but it usually isn't that bad. I've never stayed on any stretch of the crowded freeway for more than 20 minutes. It is packed but it is moving.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:45 AM

30 posts, read 111,028 times
Are ya nuts? Who would want to put themself thru that torture just to live in Bellingham? I start pulling my hair out anytime I have to drive down thru Bellevue. Theres traffic in Everett, than it clears up for a few miles, than it's a traffic jam all the way to Bellevue. There also could be traffic in Mount Vernon on a bad day.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 11,864 times
I live in Darrington, which is about 75 miles away from Bellingham and commute every day and have for the last 4 years. It takes me about a hour and 40 minutes each way. Traffic north of the Stanwood exit is almost always a piece of cake, but any further south and it is bad morning or afternoon. Oh I-5 from Bow hill all the way almost to B-ham, don't count out you blizzards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington