Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 PM

51 posts, read 144,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
For me, the Pacific NW includes the "State of Jefferson" (top NW corner of CA and the lower SW corner of Oregon) along with OR & WA. And my favorite part is the forests. Not sure why Idaho does not seem PNW to me.

Thank you so much for those unbelievable pictures. Are they yours? Are you a tree lover? Did you read the Richard Preston book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,425,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I have a hankering to see what the PNW is about having never been there. Not a city person. 54, single, traveling alone, like to bird watch, mammal watch, nature in general. I take a long time to plan so this isn't an immediate thing. (Living in Oh) Let's say a week/7 days

Not sure when to go - recommendations for time of year?
Suggestions for travel? Fly in, then....rent a car? An RV? I wouldn't mind camping some but I'm not into camping with minimum gear and not willing to fly with tons of gear, also love a good hotel shower so car camping interspesed with hotels or just hotels.
I'll consider a couple of city can't misses but generally am not interested in cities or museums or touristy stuff. The underground old city remnants are about the only thing I've ever heard about that sound really intriguing.
Route planning to get the most seeing for the driving?
Got to help out a fellow Survivor buff. This is thanks for all the rep points and laughs at my Russhole impressions.

Well, first of all some dimensions. It's about six hours from Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC, so that's the vertical distance. About five from Seattle to Spokane. Three from Seattle to Tri-Cities (Richland/Kennewick/Pasco, where I live). Three and a half from here to Vancouver, WA, taking the Oregon side (freeway side). Those are your primary freeway routes. From Seattle to Neah Bay (the very extreme tip of the Olympic Peninsula), I think was about four hours, partly non-freeway. Seattle to Ilwaco (SW corner), I think, was about six. It will help to have a sense of those distances.

Mt. St. Helens Volcanic Park is certainly worth a trip, east of I-5 between Tacoma and Vancouver (WA).

The Hoh Rainforest (Olympic Peninsula) probably has all the nature feel anyone could ever ask for.

The North Cascades Highway crosses the state's northern tier. To give you an idea, it's closed in winter. It would probably take 7-8 hours, but that's a pretty immersive trip into a remote area of the Evergreen State's beauty.

A greatly underrated trip is the Washington side of the Columbia between Tri-Cities and Vancouver (WA). Sign: "NO GAS 88 MILES." Good place to take in vistas. Hike to the top of Beacon Rock if you aren't afraid of heights; bring plenty of water. Nearby, you could soak off the soreness and get some massage type stuff at Bonneville Hot Springs.

Come watch the kestrels fish in Palouse Falls, a couple hours east and north of me.

Time it so that the Goldendale Observatory is open (midway down the Columbia, about 12 miles into Washington). What other state has an observatory that is a state park open to the public? Too bad Goldendale doesn't amount to much, but it probably has some sort of motel.

Do you like wine? Well, then come where I live. Fifty wineries, maybe more, within fifty miles of my hovel. A number are quite acclaimed.

How about something totally goofy? Leavenworth (north central) plays Kraut. Being half Kraut, I can say that. They woke up one day and decided they were a Bavarian village, despite all ethnic evidence to the contrary. The whole place, even the big commercial banks, is done up in Bavarian drag. Anyway, if you can contain your laughter, it might be fun.

There's US 101 up the coast (ducks inland in places). Our coast is rainy, often desolate, but always primal and lovely. If you decide to go to the Willapa Bay area, PM me; I'll hook you up with some great cottages there.

The Dutch country up around and north of Bellingham (hour or more north of Seattle) is kind of cool, with lots of tulips.

Anacortes (west of I-5 north of Seattle) is pleasant, and very convenient to Deception Pass. I know a good motel in Anacortes, very well run. Just don't do it the weekend of the motorcycle thingamajig, like we did. D'oh!

You should eat a lot of good food. Many states are renowned for one or two crops; we are known for a dozen or more. And if you are near the coast, and you fail to eat good seafood, you're doing it wrong.

It's pretty hard to find anyplace really ugly in Washington. A lot of people think my area qualifies (mostly sagebrush and sand), but others of us find that the desert has its own beauty. I'll also add an endorsement to StealthRabbit's ideas. He knows the state well--real well.

I'd fly into Sea-Tac, rent a car and book on out of there. The Underground Tour is okay, but you can tell the guides tell the same jokes every day, and getting into and out of downtown is a flaming pain unless you know it well, which you don't. In the Seattle area, you must at any time be prepared for horrendous traffic jams stretching for miles. Prudently visit the ladies' before getting on the freeway, and don't do it with a real low fuel gauge.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post

How about something totally goofy? Leavenworth (north central) plays Kraut. Being half Kraut, I can say that. They woke up one day and decided they were a Bavarian village, despite all ethnic evidence to the contrary. The whole place, even the big commercial banks, is done up in Bavarian drag. Anyway, if you can contain your laughter, it might be fun.
Aw, come on now. How can you call Leavenworth goofy??

YouTube - ‪Best Tourism Ad Ever‬‏

Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,018,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit11 View Post
Excellent advice. And by the way, don't be sad about missing Portland and Vancouver. They're great when you have the time, but we've got it all in Seattle!
Does Seattle have a Powell's City of Books like Portland's?

What's the most iconic aspect of Seattle? Maybe the Space Needle?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 PM

850 posts, read 3,708,498 times
Quote:

My favorite bookstore in Seattle is Elliot Bay Book Company. Unfortunately they moved out of the historic building they used to be in, so I'm not sure what their new address is like. No bookstore in my opinion is comparable to Powell's.

The Needle is of course iconic for Seattle, but I wouldn't waste my money going to the top of it, unless you plan on eating at the very expensive restaurant there. If you want a better look at Seattle, I would visit Pike Market, Alki Beach, and also the downtown waterfront. You also might like the ferry ride to Bainbridge Island.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM

353 posts, read 932,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I'd fly into Sea-Tac, rent a car and book on out of there. The Underground Tour is okay, but you can tell the guides tell the same jokes every day, and getting into and out of downtown is a flaming pain unless you know it well, which you don't. In the Seattle area, you must at any time be prepared for horrendous traffic jams stretching for miles. Prudently visit the ladies' before getting on the freeway, and don't do it with a real low fuel gauge.
You can save a lot of money if you get the car in downtown Seattle instead of the Airport. You can still return it at the airport.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,409,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post

The Needle is of course iconic for Seattle, but I wouldn't waste my money going to the top of it, unless you plan on eating at the very expensive restaurant there. If you want a better look at Seattle, I would visit Pike Market, Alki Beach, and also the downtown waterfront. You also might like the ferry ride to Bainbridge Island.
If you get the Seattle City Pass it's worth doing as part of the package. I always recommend going this route for first time visitors to Seattle who want to experience "Seattle." Especially if they have children.

But going up separately isn't worth the $18/adult.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM

Default Some Great Advice Above!

I would like to add a few things. On the travel times. Unless you are going in the middle of the night, the times really will vary wildly. My partner goes to Portland for work once a month and often leaves at 4AM to miss traffic. It is miserable. It can easily take four hours or more to get there if you hit rush hour anywhere! Same with Vancouver - going through Everett can be stop and go with emphasis on stop. If you don't mind getting up early or driving late, then follow the time charts. But traffic is almost always bad in Seattle, Everett, Portland.
There is nothing like Powells anywhere. It is worth the ride from Seattle if you live here, but if you are a nature lover with only seven days, probably not. You can go to Powells online too.

Space Needle. I myself love it. I love the views and to be up high. It can give you a good perspective on what is where and on a clear day it is very impressive but expensive. Downtown Seattle is great for any kind of ethnic food and of course Pikes Market is fab. You can get some unusual things there, lots of quirky peeps, street performers, etc. Don't wander from the market for walking in the evening. The neighborhood turns ugly quickly after dark.

If you love beaches, come out to the peninsula and you won't be disappointed, there will be little traffic and much wildlife. You can be on Crescent Beach west of Port Angeles (magnificent) and get in your car and in less than an hour be in Olympic National Park and climbing river banks and waterfalls. The Elwha is glorious, the color blue/green that most peeps think is only in the Caribbean. The rain forests are not as impressive in the summer, they need the constant rain to 'glisten' and in the summer all that hanging moss turns brown. Still a wonderful trip, but not like the winter.

If you camp alone know this. There will be wildlife. Be very careful about your food and checking in with the park offices.

By the way - there are no vampires here. Oops bad for business in Forks!

When is your trip?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Okay, are you the Mayor of Portlandia?

I love Powells and I will drive there, but I live here so I can enjoy the wonders of the PNW everyday. This woman is a nature lover, doesn't like cities, coming for only seven days.

Give Kyle a big kiss for me, we love him!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,018,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit11 View Post
Okay, are you the Mayor of Portlandia?

I love Powells and I will drive there, but I live here so I can enjoy the wonders of the PNW everyday. This woman is a nature lover, doesn't like cities, coming for only seven days.

Give Kyle a big kiss for me, we love him!
No Mayor of Portland here - LOL

Used to work for the city for 1 year around 1984 though, in a different kind of entry level position.

Love shopping in the big city, but sure cringe about working for it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington