U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM

108 posts, read 94,410 times
Default The Palouse

I would like to know all about the Palouse. I would like to know where is the nearest VA facility/medical center, where is the nearest city and how far away it is, and what are the size of the towns..also, are there any medical mairjuana clinics/facilities in that region.

How much snowfall does the palouse see too? Anything else about the palouse I should know about? The more I see of this beautiful area, the more I like, and am seriously considering moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 AM

8,768 posts, read 11,482,670 times
Disclaimer: I'm not a veteran and I don't smoke weed.

Pullman is the anchor of the Palouse. The nearest semi-major city is Spokane obv.

Pullman is 8 miles from Moscow, ID (also in the Palouse technically), together they have about 50,000 people. Colfax is a notable cutesy little town. All of the others aren't much more than specks on the map between farms.

Pullman gets about 28 inches of snow/yr, Moscow about 48, ironically.

IMO the Palouse is one of the ugliest places on earth. I appreciate that you like it.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I just love how green everything looks, and if there is a VA within an hours drive, would be worth checking out for sure.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Spokane (1.5 hours) and Walla Walla (2 hours).

Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessme2 View Post
I just love how green everything looks
Brown in summer.

There is a noticeable lack of trees for the most part.....

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Well if the nearest VA is in Spokane, maybe I will look in that neck of the woods..didn't plan on staying in a city..prefer a town, but will have to check out Spokane and see what they offer.

And I can understand brown in the summer..that's the way it mostly is in SoCal where I was raised.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Well if the nearest VA is in Spokane, maybe I will look in that neck of the woods..didn't plan on staying in a city..prefer a town, but will have to check out Spokane and see what they offer.

And I can understand brown in the summer..that's the way it mostly is in SoCal where I was raised.
Rosalia and Spangle are on the Palouse and are commutable (< 40 minutes) to Spokane.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM

10,801 posts, read 17,583,040 times
Yes, stick with the north end of the Palouse (Closer to Spokane). I like Fairfield and Rockford, WA They are pretty close to Spokane Valley (eastern suburb of Spokane).

The palouse is my choice for natural beauty (even tho I grew up in Estes Park, Colo). I was in Denver and Colorado Springs yesterday, brown cloud...

YMMV

If you are a destitute veteran, get yourself into a WA VA home. They are great!!! (I personally prefer Retsil)
State Veterans Homes

Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 PM

13,695 posts, read 15,704,631 times
Quote:
I just love how green everything looks, and if there is a VA within an hours drive, would be worth checking out for sure.
Are you sure you are talking about the Palouse in Eastern Washington?
Perhaps you only saw a picture taken in late spring when all the grasses are green? I hope you do love it there, but do yourself a favor and see it other times of the year too.

This was taken in August.
Attached Thumbnails
The Palouse-pullman.jpg  

Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 AM

10,801 posts, read 17,583,040 times
Awe, love the smell of fresh cut amber waves, and the dry heat of the wind blown straw and dust !! Perfect

(Spoken as I head outside to fight the moss and mold of the We_tSide. May19 ~ 5th clear day of spring, MAYBE we will see 65F today !! I can spray weeds once it gets to 70F !! Oh-Boy... btw; the forecast shows rain 6 of next 7 days). WARNING: the We_tSide of WA can create extreme anxiety in kids who were raised on a dry-land grain farm. Gives meaning to 'Going 'Postal'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington