Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 97,043 times

Advertisements

HELP!!

Okay, I am planning a road trip, scenic route. I will only have a day to complete this so I wanted to get the best of everything.

Depart Portland, Oregon around 1pm.

1) 26 West to 101 North

2) 101 North
1) Del Ray
2) Fort Stevens
3) Astoria Bridge
4) Lewis and Clark
5) Cape Disapoint
6) Leadbetter & Willapa
3) Hotel - probably Seaquest, in South Bend for the Night.

I am pretty sure I cannot accomplish all of these things in one day... LoL
Aside from driving time, and lets say I have about 5 hours to explore, which of those should I visit? Lighthouse & scenery for photography is the main deal! Unless one has a chance of finding more shells versus another one.

If I do leave out a big chunk, would it save time going I-5 North to 30 then starting around Astoria Bridge, rather than 26 to 101?

Any good restaurants along the way to recommend?

Thanks everybody!
Christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,350 posts, read 80,717,869 times
That's a hard one to do on a short schedule. Last time we did it, we spent 5 hours near Astoria due to a wreck, one lane each way and no detour routes
so a blocking wreck takes forever.

You can also expect to get stuck for miles behind a slow travel trailer or motorhome.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM

yes I am well aware of that happening unfortunately. I was curious to see where people would prefer to go out of those places.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,356,898 times
You could skip Fort Stevens. Cape Disappointment will give you your view of the mouth of the Columbia and the view from the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center there is great. Fort Clatsop on the Oregon side is interesting if you are interested in the history, but the L & C interpretive center has great views and good information about the expedition.

I'd go across on 30 rather than 26.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM

850 posts, read 3,709,618 times
I haven't been to all of these places, but I'll try to help.

Highways 26 and 30 are ok, but they're not real scenic in my opinion. If you're willing to take more time, take highway 2 from Longview (basically you're following the Columbia River on the Washington side). You get more viewpoints, especially once you get closer to the river mouth. There are signs to get to Astoria from here (check the map to make sure you take the way so you can go over the bridge).

The Astoria bridge is pretty cool, so go over that. May I make a suggestion? Head to the top of the hill in Astoria and climb up the Spire, or tower. You get amazing views from the top! I agree that you can skip Fort Stevens. Unless you plan to camp there and spend time hiking around, I would save it for another trip. Definitely do Cape Disappointment and the L&C Interpretive Center. Great views!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,664 posts, read 57,809,212 times
EZ trip for one SUMMER / LONG day.

From Portland: 26 west to 101 (1.2hr)
101 SOUTH to Ecola ecola park - Google Search

and then Hug Point ST Parks (these are MUST SEE (for vistas and pics) and only about 8 miles out of your way)
hug point oregon - Google Search Be sure to see the caves and Stagecoach road here (walk north 300yrds from beach access point)

North to Seaside for a Picture of Promenade.
North to Ft Clatsop (Lewis and Clark base camp)
(Ft Stevens is really optional), just across the street from Ft Clatsop (which I would NOT say is optional.... it is nice)
Astoria, Drive up to "Column" and look at old houses in town. (look at display & bookstore at Maritime Museum) Maybe time to tour museum if a rainy day.
Bridge North
Cape Disappointment
Long Beach, WA
Cranberry Bogs

Towns sights North (not too spectacular)

Leave early (before traffic) / stay late... (I often drive in from the coast after dark)

Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 PM

850 posts, read 3,709,618 times
Stealthrabbit is right. It's called the column, not spire.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 AM

WOW, Great ideas!! Thank you so much! Hubby is off of work early on that Friday, so we will be heading out early and returning after dark. He goes out to Portland many times a year for buisness and this time I am tagging along. Hence the reason for trying to see it all! I assume I can easily catch a sunset from one of those many places as well Thank you so much for ALL your help everyone!!!! (Especially the pre-linked photos of google maps... saves me an extra step! lol)

Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,664 posts, read 57,809,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetladyx View Post
... we will be heading out early and returning after dark. ...
Returning to Portland? (hopefully) or Returning to Seattle?

If Portland, then I would do the trip in reverse and return south bound on coast, as Hug Point has very colorful soils / rocks / trees for sunset pics (+ nice rocks out in the Ocean) & you would get to see Mt St Helens northbound in the AM (or at least the Silver Lake visitors center).

If in Portland during the week, I often make the trip out to Hug Point / Cannon Beach after work and for sunset. I can drive back to Portland in the dark (After a good 'Halibut and Chips' at the 'Sea Breeze' (1/4 mile north of intersection of 101 and 26). Not fancy, no view, but good chowder and halibut.

Check the tide tables, best to go to Hug Point on low tide (you can walk to Cannon Beach if you are capable, and have lots of time)

If you are returning to Seattle, I would either do Cape Disappointment for Sunset, or find another viewpoint north (choices are few).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington