Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:50 PM

7 posts, read 46,469 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for posting this. Not that we hadn't thought that it could happen, but after reading about your experience I am definitely making sure that my husband fly down to Washington a week before our move to scout out housing. We are moving from Anchorage to Bellingham and are looking to rent as well. I hope things turned out better for you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,915,673 times
I am very sorry you had that experience. I was able to find quality rentals using Craigslist but I am sorry I have not retained info on the agents.

My experience taking possession of the house I bought here in Vancouver was also a disappointing experience but that is a story for another post.

Good luck, moving is hard enough even without the low-life interactions.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,151,656 times
Dang, that sucks. I hope it doesn't sour your view of Vancouver. It's a real nice city where the majority of people are nice and respectful.
Document everything. Pictures, copies of paperwork, anything and everything concerning this slumlord. They are supposed to make sure the house is livable. Mold and missing appliances are two huge no-noes. Your contract should be null and void at that point.
There are legal options you can pursue and if those don't work, contact KPTV (kptv.com - FOX 12 Investigators) and they will embarrass this guy on their news show.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 AM

33 posts, read 110,368 times
Thank you, we I just got on the fox 12 investigators web site and told my story we will se what happens.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 AM

404 posts, read 708,995 times
That's what I was going to suggest. You should give the news tip a call too.

That's a disgusting story. I hope it will work out in your favor.

And good advice too. Don't buy or rent a house or apt off the internet without seeing the place 1st.

Before the motels become too expensive, you should try to find one that has WEEKLY/MONTHLY RATES. Camping is another option. At least for me it would be.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,132,570 times
I'm sorry you you had such an unfortunate experience. My advice to you would be to contact the Tenants Union of Washington. They are a tenants' advocacy group who should be able to help you.
Good luck to you and your family.

Sandy

Old 08-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Thank you for the info. We went down to the courthouse today and picked up the paperwork to file a small claims suit. We are still having trouble finding a place to rent. I'm getting really scared. We are going to run out of funds soon.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:14 PM

I have another question. We went down the other day to get the papers so we can file a small claim suit against this guy.. We haven't found a place yet! What I'm wondering is should I file now for the max of 4000.00, then adjust in court if necessary or should I wait until we find a place and have a final amount? And, if I do wait how long do I have to file?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 PM

77 posts, read 339,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestpixey View Post
I have another question. We went down the other day to get the papers so we can file a small claim suit against this guy.. We haven't found a place yet! What I'm wondering is should I file now for the max of 4000.00, then adjust in court if necessary or should I wait until we find a place and have a final amount? And, if I do wait how long do I have to file?
Maybe the local post office would be able to point you in the right direction as to where to file the claim.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 AM

Well, we found a place. Moving in tomarrow. It's in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Not far from friends and my husbands work .. We really like the area.. Lots of trees. great schools for the kids.. So now we just have to move our things in. I'll be able to get the lawsuit paperwork in soon now that we will have all our totals.. I just hope it doesn't take too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington