U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 PM

68 posts, read 551,348 times

Advertisements

I am looking for liberal/hippieish towns in Western Washington. I am not interested in Seattle or anywhere in the Seattle metro. I'd prefer to be in a town that is totally disconnected from it.

I know that Olympia is known to be very liberal, but I think it might be a little bigger than what i'm looking for, and it seems like it's a little too close to Seattle for me.

When I research smaller towns in WA it sounds as though they are more conservative leaning. Centralia, Chehalis, Port Angeles, Bremerton, Longview. Most of them sound as though they are more socially conservative.

So, does the place i'm looking for exist? Or, is all the liberalism of Washington only to be found in the Seattle metro?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM

9,627 posts, read 23,815,567 times
Port Townsend.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 AM

7,383 posts, read 13,221,969 times
Western WA is mostly liberal... I'd say more Blue Dog Democrat. Have you looked into the islands like Whidbey Island (away from the base), Orca Islands, et. c?

I would also point out Vashon Island which is a lot more hippie-ish than our state capital. But if Olympia is "too close" (distance wise?) to Seattle, V.I. might not work... I think it does warrant a look though.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Western WA is mostly liberal... I'd say more Blue Dog Democrat. Have you looked into the islands like Whidbey Island (away from the base), Orca Islands, et. c?

I would also point out Vashon Island which is a lot more hippie-ish than our state capital. But if Olympia is "too close" (distance wise?) to Seattle, V.I. might not work... I think it does warrant a look though.
Actually those islands do do look great. But also I have heard that they are expensive, I read that rent and food prices are high, so I wrote them off my list because of that. I guess I should have mentioned that I want to live in a place with a low cost of living. I'll be moving with a modest savings and i'll need to find a job soon upon arrival. But I will have enough money to live for a pretty long time if things get rough.

I havn't looked into the islands much but i'll give them another look. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Port Townsend.
Thanks for that tip. I havn't looked into that town yet.

Would you say that the northern Olympic penninsula is fairly liberal? How about Port Angeles and the other towns around there?

A long time ago I camped in Olympic National Park and saw lots of the towns on the Olympic penninsula, I also saw Seattle and everything on the I-5 route. I remember that the towns I saw on the Olympic penninsula didn't strike me as having that liberal feel that Oregon towns have. They felt a lot more conservative, but I didn't make it up to the northern part of the penninsula so maybe it's a bit different there?

What i'm really looking for is a hippie town. Sort of like Eugene OR, or Arcata CA. But in Washington.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,749 posts, read 54,373,866 times
There are really no hippie towns that I know of. The closest to meeting your needs is Bellingham, a college town, Western WA University which is known as a liberal school known for cranking out teachers. Outside of King County most small towns are really more conservative. In every election the population of King County keeps the Democrats in power, while everywhere else goes Republican but with not enough population. My parents and a few friends live on the Olympic Peninsula, where people take target practice & shoot varmints in their yards, and home school a lot.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,674,470 times
You may find Port Townsend a good fit for you.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,035,979 times
Wink In beginning

You might consider Langley, WA.

I cannot vouch for it personally, but it has the reputation of being a small and mellow place. Probably well worth a look in person. It is located on the east side of Whidbey Island, near its southern tip. That would offer several advantages. For one, Whidbey Island should generally prove more affordable than the San Juan islands, some of which in culture would possibly prove pleasing. It offers better access to the Seattle metro area as well, although remaining distinctly separate. It is possible to drive in and off from the northern end of the island, via Deception Pass bridge. But particularly from Langley the far more practical ferry to the mainland from Clinton to Mukilteo.

Port Townsend might be the only town on the Olympic peninsula which would suite you. The peninsula is a beautiful place, all the more as within it the jewel of Olympic NP, but generally one likely dealing in wilderness, the beauty of the forest, and more debatable aspects of 'civilization.'

Without considerations of society there are a lot of beautiful options in western Washington. If a town per se, then perhaps beginning to look in a town such as Langley, and see what transpires from there.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,687,379 times
I live in Port Townsend and I'd say it's pretty close to what you're looking for. There was an influx of hippie types here in the 60s and 70s, so there's a lot of artists and musicians in town (many quite accomplished), and the politics are decidedly progressive - which causes some issues between those who don't want growth and those who do. There are no big box stores here, and very few chain stores. While that gives the town a certain charm, it's also an inconvenience when you need to buy socks or underwear.

I personally love it here, but like anyplace, it has it's good and bad points. Come check it out for yourself.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 PM

Port Townsend looks amazing and I think I would really like it.

The problem with it is, what would I do for work there? That's a tricky thing about moviing to small towns, finding a job that pays decently. It looks like maybe there's a fishing industry there, maybe shipping and boating related industry? How difficult do you think employment would be to find there? What do most people do for a living? Does it have a good economy for a small town? I'm college educated and a good worker.

I am a bit of an artist and I would try to make some money with art. But i'm no Van Gogh so I need something else to pay the bills.

Also, do you know about the property taxes in that area? Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate your help and information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington