Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,497 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from Austin to Washington. My husbands job will be based in Bonney Lake. From what I've read on recent posts, I really like the looks of Gig Harbor and there is a job possibility for me in north Gig Harbor and Bremerton which doesn't look to be too bad of a commute. There is also a job possibility for me in Auburn but I really have my heart set on a more "coastal" community feel. We have a 2 year old so location with good preschools is important as well as decent shopping. We usually go to the farmer market weekly and purchase organic/whole foods mostly. We love the put doors and a location with close proximity to parks and family friendly is a must. I am totally unfamiliar with the area ( my husband somewhat familiar as he lived in Everett for 2 hrs). Any insight you have into commute times for Gig Harbor and /or good places to live in Bonneylake/Auburn area are much appreciated! Thanks for reading my lengthy post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
In a word.. no.. unless you work out of your car.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
In a word.. no.. unless you work out of your car.
I agree for the most part but will expand on this answer a bit. Feasible? Maybe. Practical? Likely not.

Travel time between Gig Harbor and Bonney Lake on a low traffic (non-work day) is going to take roughly 40 or 45 minutes. Travel time between the two towns during peak commute-to-work times (work days) is going to be more like an hour, perhaps upwards of an hour and a half if the traffic is snarled due to an accident, construction, weather conditions and other typical happenings around here. That's just one way. He'd still have the return trip traffic to deal with that day. So the answer to your question will depend upon how your husband feels about spending 2 or 3 hours in his car every day commuting back and forth to work. Back and forth, week after week, month after month...

Old 07-15-2011, 02:54 PM

98 posts, read 442,960 times
Since schools are a priority you may want to look at the puyallup or sumner area. Schooldigger has their districts rates the highest for near bonney lake locations. You might have your better job opportunities in the puyallup area. They are not coastal towns but you do get the benefit at close views of mount rainier.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,497 times
Default Gig Harbor it is!

Thank you everyone for your replies. We have decided on Gig Harbor and I will be working in Bremerton. My husband's work in Bonney Lake will most likely be for only up to 18 months as he is in retail and they move him around a lot. Gig Harbor affords him the possibility to move to the Tacoma stores or the 3 stores that are in the peninsula area. Thanks for all the input though.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:09 PM

230 posts, read 623,360 times
Gig Harbor is a nice place to live, especially if you have kids. The commute to Bonney Lake would be not advisable at all. I can't speak about the places near Bonney Lake, but your life would be much more enjoyable if everyone lived closer to where they worked, in the family. I found that our quality of life went down when my husband was commuting from GH to Auburn, and the joy of living in Gig Harbor was diminished because he was never home to enjoy it.

I'm sorry to report that the farmers market/organic life is pretty dead here. Gig Harbor's farmer's market is sad. It's mostly wooden toys, kettle corn, and some plants. I''ve had to readjust my thinking after living in California and being spoilt by the amazing produce and markets. You will need to find a good local market or produce store to get what you like. It's just not like Austin or California at all in that regard.

I would avoid Auburn, there really isn't anything of note there. Sumner seems like a lovely place, with a cute downtown, and a great community feel. Perhaps someone here from Sumner can speak about that. It would be my first choice if someone in my family had to commute to Bonney Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicksslp View Post
My family is relocating from Austin to Washington. My husbands job will be based in Bonney Lake. From what I've read on recent posts, I really like the looks of Gig Harbor and there is a job possibility for me in north Gig Harbor and Bremerton which doesn't look to be too bad of a commute. There is also a job possibility for me in Auburn but I really have my heart set on a more "coastal" community feel. We have a 2 year old so location with good preschools is important as well as decent shopping. We usually go to the farmer market weekly and purchase organic/whole foods mostly. We love the put doors and a location with close proximity to parks and family friendly is a must. I am totally unfamiliar with the area ( my husband somewhat familiar as he lived in Everett for 2 hrs). Any insight you have into commute times for Gig Harbor and /or good places to live in Bonneylake/Auburn area are much appreciated! Thanks for reading my lengthy post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington