U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2011, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 10,164 times

Advertisements

City in Washington/Oregon that doesn't snow much/cheap to live:
Me and my husband want to move closer to the beach, don't wan't too far maybe not over 2hours from beach, doesn't snow much, I know it may be cold, we have 3 little ones 4, 1 1/2, and 7months, and are looking for a place that is pretty cheap we can only afford $650-$700 maximum rent 2-3bedroom, Ihave a job that I can work from home but would like ther to be good job market for husband, please any suggestions would be deeply appreciated originally from california perfect weather, then moved to texas,now in vegas but can't stand heat, thanks, Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,427,171 times
Suburban Portland.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks so much I'm gonna look the rentals up out there,

Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,314,846 times
Even the Suburbs of Portland is going to be hard at that price range. You're going to end up in higher crime areas (domestic calls, car prowlings, drug busts, nothing like murders though.) Decent job market doesn't describe anywhere in Washington or Oregon in my opinion, although they're saying Portland is getting a bit better, and the timber industry saw a 30% growth in the first four months of this year.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM

3,612 posts, read 6,990,086 times
Decent job market + cheap housing is a combination that is hard to find in the Northwest.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks for tips

Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,137,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casperslilsister View Post
City in Washington/Oregon that doesn't snow much/cheap to live:
Me and my husband want to move closer to the beach, don't wan't too far maybe not over 2hours from beach, doesn't snow much, I know it may be cold, we have 3 little ones 4, 1 1/2, and 7months, and are looking for a place that is pretty cheap we can only afford $650-$700 maximum rent 2-3bedroom, Ihave a job that I can work from home but would like ther to be good job market for husband, please any suggestions would be deeply appreciated originally from california perfect weather, then moved to texas,now in vegas but can't stand heat, thanks, Andrea
Let me phrase this another way so you can perhaps see a blind spot here. You want to live close to the water, in one of the most expensive regions in the country, for very little money, yet which has a great job market in the midst of a monster nationwide recession. I'm all for shooting for the moon, but you won't find this. The people who said Portland are completely ignoring the "job market" part of your request.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 AM

938 posts, read 1,269,807 times
You can find a few older apartments in that price range in Olympia and its outskirts.

Vancouver WA and the towns just east of there are probably cheaper than most Oregon suburbs of Portland. Portland is not in a good place on employment compared to its recent past but at least it is a huge market. Two sides to that of course, more jobs and more competition.

Kent and Auburn are pretty good locations for looking for work, in those towns or in the larger Seattle or Tacoma markets. At least some moderate priced housing options, probably some cheaps one too, though with lower prices you often get less desirable on one or more criteria. With a lot of hunting you might find a good enough place and a good enough price.

"The beach" in this part of the country of course will be pretty different than So-Cal if that is your background. Not that many days with highs in the 70s and very few in the 80s. Only about 6 months where the highs peak over 60 degrees in mid to late afternoon after climbing up from the 40s to at most the low 50s in the morning, and only about 4-5 months with a good amount of dry days. Cooler water here all the time, especially outside the heart of summer. The beaches are quite nice, just different than So-Cal in terms of weather, general vibe, crowd levels and amount of nearby amenities (outside of a few developed spots).

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-20-2011 at 01:22 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,348,650 times
Tri-Cities, (Kennewick, Richland, Pasco), in the South central part of the state. Not much snow, low cost of living. Also one of the fastest growing areas of WA state.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,348,650 times
Oh, you want a beach. Well, Tri-Cities does offer "some" beach...along the Columbia. Not the same as the ocean, but it is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington