Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,229 times

Advertisements

I'm torn between Spokane or Vancouver, I like Vancouver because its closer to Portland and their is probally more fun things to do but I have a potential job in Spokane. Concerns of Spokane are the climate, The city itself might not be as "up-to-date" as Vancouver/Portland area. But vancouver I dont have a job lined up, is it really that hard to find a job if your really looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphik View Post
I'm torn between Spokane or Vancouver, I like Vancouver because its closer to Portland and their is probally more fun things to do but I have a potential job in Spokane. Concerns of Spokane are the climate, The city itself might not be as "up-to-date" as Vancouver/Portland area. But vancouver I dont have a job lined up, is it really that hard to find a job if your really looking?
It depends on the job you're looking for. What field of work are you in?

Personally I love Spokane and I love the weather there. You're right, though. It's not as up to date as Vancouver/Portland and the downtown can sometimes look dirty. Nonetheless, the climate is wonderful in my opinion, and there is so much to do there especially if you like outdoor activities. The cost of living in Spokane is much lower than in Vancouver.

What are your interests?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM

291 posts, read 688,995 times
Spokane is better than Vancouver but Vancouver is very close to Portland and Portland is way better than Spokane. So I would pick Vancouver because you could be close to Portland.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,229 times
Thanks guys, the Job I have potentially lined up in Spokane is as a Call Center supervisor. But Vancouver I'm winging it. As far as climate I much rather prefer the PNW Rain and clouds to potential snow/scorching hot humid days. Interested in outdoors, With modern luxuries =). Bars, clubs etc.. the usual things. I'm sure Spokane is nice in its own way but is it worth 2,500 Miles to end in a place your not 100% crazy about. Coming from PA btw

Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Quote:
Thanks guys, the Job I have potentially lined up in Spokane is as a Call Center supervisor. But Vancouver I'm winging it. As far as climate I much rather prefer the PNW Rain and clouds to potential snow/scorching hot humid days. Interested in outdoors, With modern luxuries =). Bars, clubs etc.. the usual things. I'm sure Spokane is nice in its own way but is it worth 2,500 Miles to end in a place your not 100% crazy about. Coming from PA btw
Will you have the opportunity to take a trip out here? You need to because the areas are very very different. To be honest, I've heard what you said about the PNW weather so many times and I would say a low percentage end up liking it. And coming from Pennsylvania, you're not used to the constant cloud cover that you will get here. That being said, some people love it. Vancouver and Portland have a lot to offer. There's great hiking even right in the city. The Columbia River Gorge is just an hour away (Google it. It's beautiful!). Portland has its own culture that I find comparable to Europe. (If I were you, I would just scratch Vancouver and go Portland).

Spokane on the other hand is high desert. It is hot in the summer, but I wouldn't say scorching. The average temperatures in the summer are probably around 90 degrees. Remember too that it's a dry heat (not the humid stuff like you have there in Pennsylvania), so it's very tolerable. The winters, however, can get very cold and they do get a lot of snow. I personally love the snow and cold so I don't have a problem with it.

Why not take the job in Spokane so that you at least get into the general area you want. From there take a trip to Vancouver/Portland and see if you like it better. Then you can look around, apply for jobs, and just see if you like the area more. In this job market, the last thing I would do is just randomly move somewhere without a job.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
But Vancouver I'm winging it. As far as climate I much rather prefer the PNW Rain and clouds to potential snow/scorching hot humid days. Interested in outdoors, With modern luxuries =). Bars, clubs etc.. the usual things.
PDX/Vancouver's been very hard-hit by the bad economy. You'd really have to be winging it. People always say they'd "prefer" the PNW rain and clouds and like Sobefobik says, in the long run only a small percentage ultimately do, the rest either move out or make do (while complaining bitterly).

Quote:
I'm sure Spokane is nice in its own way but is it worth 2,500 Miles to end in a place your not 100% crazy about. Coming from PA btw
Same could be said about PDX/Vancouver... Moving anywhere is a risk. Apart from PDX, Vancouver doesn't have the ambience of Spokane. Vancouver is pure and relatively new suburbia, with a lame "downtown" area. If you want PDX and what it has to offer, move to PDX.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
The major call centers are in Beaverton (West of Portland) and are all constantly hiring due to high turnover. They're Stream, ACS, Comcast, and Yahoo.

ACS has sort of the worst reputation and pays the lowest, but has multiple call centers that support all sorts of products, across the entire Portland area, and the world. They shift work from call center to call center constantly, so you can find yourself without a job pretty quickly. If you're in a supervisor position there is a good chance of traveling internationally to train your replacements though.

Stream is supposed to be the best/highest paid to work for, but can loose a contract pretty quickly. So lay-offs do happen. They do tend to try to absorb as many people as possible onto other teams though.

Comcast pays over minimum, but not as high as Stream. On the other hand it's steady work and you rarely fear getting laid off.

There are no major call centers in Vancouver, although there are smaller ones. The commute from Vancouver to Beaverton is doable, but highly recommended against. Doubly so since construction on the Columbia River Crossing is supposed to start any time soon, and the new bridge is going to be tolled. Just getting across the bridge can be easily an hour, and two hours is not unheard of.

The other thing to worry about is that Oregon will still tax you if you work in Oregon but live in Washington. Working a low paying job, along with the commute would make it hard to make ends meet for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington