Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 AM

850 posts, read 3,716,428 times

Advertisements

So I love storms, but we simply never get them--well maybe very rarely. Does anyone else wish we would get some really doozy storms once in a while? We don't even get no stinking thunderstorms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Hmmm. Thunderstorms - broken trees landing on houses and blocking roads, fried appliances, floods, power outages, people getting hit by lightning, tornado watches, wondering if my horses are safe, . . .

No. I guess not.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
I live in NY, but far enough away from the heavy hurricane action. Even still, we are under wind and flood advisories. We get a few tornado warnings/watches each year; nor-easters; ice storms, etc.

As I took the dogs out this morning, I watched the trees swaying like mad. I'm hoping that we have moved the tree line far enough back from the house, and I'm thinking how nice it will be to one day live somewhere that I don't have to worry about such things so often. And I won't miss the storms one bit!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
So I love storms, but we simply never get them--well maybe very rarely. Does anyone else wish we would get some really doozy storms once in a while? We don't even get no stinking thunderstorms!
I can relate to yearning for new things, especially if you rarely have experienced them. We have had a record "HOT!" summer. I now wish for cool. My lawn turned to straw and I wished for rain...eventually got one storm after another and my lawn is now on steroids, can't mow it fast enough. Had a rough winter last year...wished for warm I had never seen a Tornado in the 22 years I lived in Joplin, MO and BAM! I'm huddled by an interior wall while things are flying through the air. I just wish we could get what we want in moderation. This year has been a very unique time for weather. I'm to the point now that I don't ever want to hear another thunderstorm.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I can relate to yearning for new things, especially if you rarely have experienced them.
Good point - it is all relative!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I'm old enough to remember the Columbus Day Storm.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post

Thanks, but no thanks.
Hear, hear! My brothers and I got off the school bus at the top of the hill and ran down the gravel road the half a mile to home while fir trees were nearly bent over double and debris was flying through the air -- it was terrifying, especially with the roar of the wind and the cracking of all those tree branches snapping off. Our house survived with only minimal damage because we were relatively protected in a little hollow.

If you want storms, move to the Oregon Coast.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post

Thanks, but no thanks.
Me too, no thanks. Not only do I remember the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 but we also had some other "doozies" through the years.

The one where I sustained the most property damage was the Inaugural Day Storm of January 20, 1993. No thanks, don't want to go through that one again either.

There have been others of a bit lesser intensity which personally, I wouldn't want to go through again ...they seem to be spaced about a decade (or maybe a bit longer) or so apart and that's enough "fun" for most people, I'd think.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-28-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Count me in as one old enough to remember the Columbus Day Storm, The Big Blow Columbus Day 1962

Anybody living here in December, 2006 will never forget the Hanukkah Eve Wind Storm

Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Oh, and now that I'm thinking back on some other lesser "doozies," a neighbor came within inches of getting killed when a tree came down in his yard in the February 1979 windstorm.

And who can forget the Thanksgiving 1983 wind storm where many couldn't finish cooking their turkeys because of the widespread power outages.

eta: and I almost forgot about the double-punch of the November 1981 wind storm. I remember it now because a huge tree branch knocked my TV antenna off and also caused half my chimney to crumble.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-28-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington