U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM

609 posts, read 690,010 times

Advertisements

i did a search here and didnt come up with much. im considering lacey but would like to know a bit more about it...and maybe if im lucky see a pic or two? lol. im just trying to get a handle on what kind of place it is. what kind of shopping is there, is there much to do, is there a lot of crime...just kinda what its like in general. any info would be awesome and appreciated. thanks guys
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM

14,205 posts, read 26,395,221 times
City leaders have been pro development... the good is that shopping is plentiful.. the bad is some of the cookie-cutter developments.

Lacey is not an outpost... Olympia and next door. In the span of a few miles you will find 3 Home Depots and 1 Lowes...

Lacey's big development is stalled or very slowly moving forward... the destination store Cabela's is in and open for business...

Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,669,698 times
As you've may have noticed, I recommend Lacey often on this forum. I'm very impressed with the area. It is a sprawling suburb that has a sampling of different types of neighborhoods. It has older lower to middle-class neighborhoods and will have huge newer planned communities like the ones on the east side of town. It has relatively low crime and good schools. As Ultrarunner has said it abuts Olympia and in places, intertwines with Olympia in that there are many places where one side of a street is in Olympia and the other in Lacey ...or as you drive along many streets, you'll go in and out of both Olympia and Lacey. Lacey really doesn't have a quaint centralized downtown area and is really a sprawling suburban city with lots of separate commercial and residential areas mingled throughout the city.

It is popular amongst military families in that it is very convenient to JBLM.

And as Ultraurnner has mentioned, there shouldn't be any big-box store that if not located within Lacey, will not be too far away as Lacey is convenient to not only Olympia but to Lakewood and Tacom as well. And, yes, the only Cabellas in the state.

Photos on the City-Data reference page for Lacey aren't completely representative of the area but will give you a start and perhaps others will post their own photos which they have taken in this thread.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM

thank you guys so much for the info scirocco22 - those happened to be the only pics i could really find. so lacey has stores like walmart, costco? what kind of grocery stores. when i originally started looking i was checking out olympia but lacey seemed more my speed lol. i hope some people would post some pics.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM

oh...and property taxes? what are those like there?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM

5,611 posts, read 6,600,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
thank you guys so much for the info scirocco22 - those happened to be the only pics i could really find. so lacey has stores like walmart, costco? what kind of grocery stores.
Of course Lacey has stores like Walmart, Target, Costco. I wouldn't worry about the stores because it has all the basic shoppings you'll need. Plus it's close to Olympia that you can use their Farmer's Market.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
oh...and property taxes? what are those like there?
WA Property tax is a sore spot with me... I've posted extensively on this.

I bought a home that was on and off the market for 2 years back around 2005... at that time the voters of WA passed measure I-747 that limited property tax increases.

Seems about a year or two later it was thrown out and my assessment immediately increased 80% from what I had paid 18 months prior... it has come down a little, but is still about 45% more than my purchase price.

It wasn't just me... my elderly neighbors that built their cottage home back in the mid 1950's saw a big increase... the Assessor said someone from California paid a big price for land in the area and that affected all of us... didn't seem to matter zoning would not permit the anticipated development and now the property is bank owned...

So be careful with property taxes... I found they are anything but predictable.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-08-2011 at 11:47 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:07 PM

14,819 posts, read 18,164,376 times
Property taxes in all of western WA are high, and Lacey is no exception, though the home prices are way less than the Seattle area so the tax is less.

I really like Lacey and stop there whenever in the area, to hit Cabella's, and my wife has to go to Shipwreck Beads. They are building a very good retail tax base and that should help keep property taxes from going up too fast. The big box stores, including Wal-Mart are fairly new, and pretty nice. It's not that far from either Seattle or Portland if you want a day trip.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The big box stores, including Wal-Mart are fairly new, and pretty nice.
Just have to comment on the excellent service I always receive at the local stores... big and small.

I've done a lot of shopping over the years at places like Home Depot and Lowes for example.

I pulled up to the Lowes because I needed to repair a broken pipe... didn't realize it was after closing... as I walked back to the truck, an employee going home asked me if I needed anything... told him what I was after and said I will just have to come back in the morning... he then asked me to follow him, brought me to the store manager and I was told to get whatever I needed and the manager would wait for me... this was like 20 minutes after closing...

I'm here to tell you I have never experienced this type of above and beyond at any chain store in the SF Bay Area in California.

Another time I had a list of a couple of things and went to the Home Depot... I asked where the lumber department was and the cashier noticed my list... one pressure treated 4x4 post, two bags of fence post concrete and some lag bolts... she told me to wait right here and she would have all the items brought up front... I said if was not necessary because in part I didn't want to wait... within minutes, 3 different clerks converged with my items and I was on my way...

I have many more examples... like the Mexican restaurant in Lacey adding a table for us so my Mom wouldn't have to stand and wait or the little family owned German restaurant that makes you feel like family... had never been to either previously...

The Safeways are also spotless and modern...

Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,556,361 times
There are large malls in West Olympia and Tacoma, both not too far of drive from Lacey. Lacey proper has two decent sized commercial areas. The newer Hawks Prairie area at exit 111 which has the Cabelas, Wal-Mart, Costco, Best Buy, and multiple grocery stores. The older commercial core of Lacey at exit 108 has Target, Kohls, Sears, Fred Meyer, and many other businesses from chains to locals. The older commercial core of Lacey is directly adjacent to Olympia, so there are many other commercial opportunities just down the street or across the overpass in Olympia like K-Mart, Loews, Home Depot, Ross, and multiple grocery stores. Olympia, Lacey, and Tumwater all blend together.

As for pictures of Lacey, doesn't expect much. There isn't a downtown and the city has a woodsy feel with lots of tall douglas-firs. If you find a picture of Lacey, it is probably of one of the lakes in the area. There used to be a Lacey, WA postcard available locally. It was of the strip malls along Sleater-Kinney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Lacey is not an outpost... Olympia and next door. In the span of a few miles you will find 3 Home Depots and 2 Lowes...
Fixed. Olympia (Martin Way) and Lacey (Yelm Hwy) have Lowes and all three cities each have a Home Depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington