Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:14 PM

166 posts, read 482,715 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from Boulder, Colorado (sick of the heat and constant sunshine - not good for writing). I loved Ireland when I visited there and have heard that the Seattle area is similar (only with real mountains).

I love alternative music, lush green views, boating (grew up on the Chain O' Lakes in Chicago), seafood and art/theater scenes. So by all intensive purposes this area seems perfect.

I am 35, single and have no children - however, I have a dog and she is my whole world so I need a really dog-friendly town. I am over the big city thing and like the idea of solitude to work on my writing without being in the middle of nowhere. Want to hang in Seattle periodically - but not live in it.

Here are the areas that I am considering - any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

Port Townsend
Bainbridge Island (don't know specific communities)
Coupeville
or
Anacortes

Any other suggestions?? I am planning a trip up there in September to scope out the towns that interest me.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,548 times
All of the towns/areas you mentioned are good choices for checking out what you're looking for. We spent five years narrowing down our "perfect place" near Seattle, and found this forum during our search. It's been an invaluable source of information--along with some entertainment as well!

My husband and I visited all of the towns on your list, as well as several others. All are dog-friendly. I think the whole state is! Be sure and also check out Langley when you're on Whidbey Island. It's a lovely little waterfront town with lots of artists & writers. It was our second favorite town as we finalized our choices. Another possibility you might look at is the San Juan Islands. Very artsy area.

Port Townsend, Coupeville and Anacortes were high on our list too. I think any of these towns would potentially give you what you want, but after you visit, you'll know which one "feels" the most right. Since you're going to be in Anacortes, another possibility is La Conner. Cute town!

We ended up choosing Poulsbo, a quaint little waterfront town on Kitsap Peninsula 10 miles north of Bainbridge Island and 35 miles south of Port Townsend. We love it here! We're sure glad we did our homework--it paid off well. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:19 PM

26 posts, read 84,707 times
Default Definately good choices!

You've narrowed your search down to REALLY GOOD options...so congratulations on that!

Bainbridge Island is definately worth a visit and is quite enchanting. LMB is correct in that Poulsbo is another area you should look at. It has a charming waterfront area and is only 15-20 minutes from the Bainbridge Ferry (that goes directly into the downtown Seattle,) it is also close to the Kingston ferry. Port Townsend is a very cute town and another great option if you don't mind being a little further from Seattle. Anacortes and the San Juans are also good considerations.

Be sure to stop in at the visitor centers/chamber of commerce for each. They have lots of helpful information and can give you great advice on things to see and do that will give you a good feel for what the area is like. Best wishes!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Talking Thanks!!

I so appreciate the feedback....I think it makes a big difference that you not only do your homework, but also talk to the locals! Thanks for being my first interaction with people who live in that area - very positive and I feel comfortable already!!

Warmest regards,

TecWmn

Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 PM

199 posts, read 1,513,323 times
If you really want solitude, you might consider Grays Harbor County. The North County, the Pacific Beach area, doesn't get much more rural. Beautiful terrain, only a short drive to the Quinault Rain Forest, I would think its great inspiration for writing.

South Beach, the area from Westport to Tokeland, has a lot of intriguing areas. You can buy seafood off the docks for most of the year (right now Albacore Tuna is plentiful at $2 a pound). Crabbing, clamming and fishing are huge. There is a growing art community out here (this past weekend was the Westport Art Festival, which was a juried show with over 70 exhibitors). Throughout the year there are lots of smaller art events. Glass blowers, metal arts, painters, you name it. Of course, being in Timber country, chainsaw carving and the wood arts are also huge. There are 18 miles of sandy beaches between Westport and Tokeland, which range from boring to beautiful.

Boating ... depending on what you mean by that, we have some of the most fantastic working marinas in Washington. The Westport Marina is mostly charter boats and commercial fishing boats, but there is plenty of berthing space if you have a vessel, and its dirt cheap compared to anywhere else. The Tokeland Marina is smaller, but equally good value and totally underutilized.

What's missing is the farmers market (Hoquiam does one, which is the metro area for the beaches, but I've never been, so I can't vouch for it), and there is a limited theater community in Hoquiam/Aberdeen. But you're only an hour from Olympia, which has a GREAT farmers market, and of course, 2 hours from Seattle.

Aberdeen/Hoquiam (the two cities that make up the metro area of Grays Harbor County) is the hometown of Curt Cobain, and some other surprising notable people, so it must have some inspiration hidden away here It's also now home to the largest biodeisel plant in the US.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Thank you so much! I hadn't even considered that area. After reading your post and doing some research I think I will add a couple of days to my trip and scope out that area as well.....much appreciated.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,124 times
I lived in Boulder for a while. I have nothing bad to say about the place! All I have are great memories of Boulder. I miss the Walrus, and Chataquae park (spelling) and the Flat Irons!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:00 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,764,790 times
No one ever seems to mention Camano Island I lived there at one time and loved it.

It is not quite so touristy and developed as the other islands mentioned, but it is lovely there. IMNO it has much more of a rural feel than does Whidbey; certainly Camano is smaller. One drives over a bridge to arrive on the island, so one doesn't have to depend on the ferry system.

As you are coming up this way, it might be worth it to check it out. In a Flash, I'd go back if it were possible.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 PM

24 posts, read 79,398 times
Hi,
I was born and raised in Boulder, folks still there! I'm 39 and my husband and I have lived in San Diego for the past 18 years and we are also looking to re-locate to the PNW. I miss mountains and we are really ready for some change of weather, southern cal is too hot and TOO CROWDED!! Love Boulder, but not to go back and live. We are looking at the same areas you mentioned in the PNW, I've been chatting on other sites (threads??) and a lot of people have mentioned Westport to us as well. We are going in September and have decided to head straight to the coast first to check out Westport etc...
Best of luck to you!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:06 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
Check out OAK Harbor. Its very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington