U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 AM
 
1,732 posts, read 2,179,421 times
Reputation: 979

Advertisements

Generally speaking, your biggest risk in Bham relating to crime is property related. (I.e. Car theft or burglary) It's a safe town. Very much a family oriented place with good schools. It's a liberal college town. Western WA Univ is here. It's a terrific University which just happens to be the 3rd largest in the state.

It is not cheap however. If you're willing to live nearby, you can save some money. (Ferndale, nice conservative town, cheaper with good schools and just 5 minutes north)

No VA Hospital here. Closest is in Seattle. The closest military facilities (PX, Exch) are both Navy, one in Smokey Point (about 45 minutes south) and Oak Harbor (45 minutes).

As to the cost of living. It's an expensive place to live in comparison to other cities in the area. I would highly recommend looking at rental rates.

The most desirable areas (with the best schools as well) are in the south end (in my opinion) are Fairhaven, South Hill, Samish, Edgemoor, Chuckanut,Padden even Lake Samish, 10 minutes to the south)

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
8,906 posts, read 7,152,393 times
Reputation: 12430
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Lamplight, thanks for the fast reply. I looked up Fairhaven on the map, looks good and from what you say.... sounds good.
Guess I should have sent a bit more info. We, 4 adults, will be living on approx $5k a month (after tax) if that helps. We will have three (3) cars. Looking for a house/condo/apt to rent for the first year; 4br/2.5 or more ba, would like the M/br on the ground floor due to my disabilities. Right now we are paying the equivalent of $4.07 per gal for unleaded gas. Like you assessment of how "safe" Bellingham and especially Fairhaven is.

Thank you!

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines
Well at them moment gas is definitely cheaper than that here. The station closest to me is showing $3.49 per gallon on the sign. Four bedroom rentals seem to be all over the place as far as price is concerned. After only a quick glance, I'm seeing prices as low as $1000 all the way up to $3000+. Looks like most decent ones are $1600 or more per month, but finding that many bathrooms may put you toward the higher price range. I just looked at Craigslist for apartments, so you may have more luck on other sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
299 posts, read 716,028 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Generally speaking, your biggest risk in Bham relating to crime is property related. (I.e. Car theft or burglary) It's a safe town. Very much a family oriented place with good schools. It's a liberal college town. Western WA Univ is here. It's a terrific University which just happens to be the 3rd largest in the state.

It is not cheap however. If you're willing to live nearby, you can save some money. (Ferndale, nice conservative town, cheaper with good schools and just 5 minutes north)

No VA Hospital here. Closest is in Seattle. The closest military facilities (PX, Exch) are both Navy, one in Smokey Point (about 45 minutes south) and Oak Harbor (45 minutes).

As to the cost of living. It's an expensive place to live in comparison to other cities in the area. I would highly recommend looking at rental rates.

The most desirable areas (with the best schools as well) are in the south end (in my opinion) are Fairhaven, South Hill, Samish, Edgemoor, Chuckanut,Padden even Lake Samish, 10 minutes to the south) Good luck.
Bill,

Thanks for the fast reply, sounds as if Bellingham (Bham) is pretty safe. Our son and daughter will be wanting to pursue the WWA to expand their degrees, I believe in towards business. Ferndale, sounds good as well and being just a bit north also sounds good as we will be visiting the wife's sisters in Canada quite often and they will us as well. However, will not be leaving out Fairhaven, South Hill, Samish, Edgemoor, Chuckanut, Padden and Lake Samish.

About how long of a drive, time wise, would you say it is to the VA Hospital in Seattle? The military facilities sound close enough, don't need to used them every day.

I have looked at craigslist for rentals and were impressed with what we could get for the price and also those for sale.

Again, thank you and your info is greatly appreciated.

jOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
299 posts, read 716,028 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Well at them moment gas is definitely cheaper than that here. The station closest to me is showing $3.49 per gallon on the sign. Four bedroom rentals seem to be all over the place as far as price is concerned. After only a quick glance, I'm seeing prices as low as $1000 all the way up to $3000+. Looks like most decent ones are $1600 or more per month, but finding that many bathrooms may put you toward the higher price range. I just looked at Craigslist for apartments, so you may have more luck on other sites.
Lamplight,

Price of gas sounds good as does the rentals, naturally we would like to keep it around $2000 or less... doesn't less sound better, sure does to me and two baths would work for us, was just "wishing".

Also want to thank you for your FAST reply and good info it was.

jOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
 
1,732 posts, read 2,179,421 times
Reputation: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post

About how long of a drive, time wise, would you say it is to the VA Hospital in Seattle? The military facilities sound close enough, don't need to used them every day.
The problem with the location is that it is south of downtown Seattle. Essentially that means if it's rush hour, you're screwed. ha ha

Rush hour (7 to 10am) Leave yourself 2 & 1/2 hours

Otherwise about 90 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
299 posts, read 716,028 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
The problem with the location is that it is south of downtown Seattle. Essentially that means if it's rush hour, you're screwed. ha ha

Rush hour (7 to 10am) Leave yourself 2 & 1/2 hours

Otherwise about 90 minutes.
Bill,

Well the 2 1/2 drive, not counting stops, to the VA is just about what I'm used to here in the Philippines as it is in Manila. However, do admit sure was looking for a much shorter drive as I have a bad back which adds to the driving time due to stops for stretches.

Hey, I'm used to being screwed, remember I posted I'm USN Retired. lol

jOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
 
1,732 posts, read 2,179,421 times
Reputation: 979
Joe,

Not sure if this will help, but there is a Veteran's Clinic in Mt. Vernon. That's only 20 or 25 minutes from Bham.

Mount Vernon - VA Puget Sound Health Care System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top