U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 PM

385 posts, read 450,002 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about different places that I might want to move once I finish with graduate school. I think Port Townsend sounds really interesting but I wanted to hear what people had to say about it. I think especially the arts seem well represented there... I am partially attracted to it because of the community printmaking shop at the state park there... And also because of the Olympic Mountains.

I am guessing like most towns that size it is driven by retirees and jobs are difficult to come by except maybe in the health care segment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 05:55 PM

14,760 posts, read 18,084,357 times
You guessed right, the only jobs are pretty much low pay such as restaurant and hotel, or retail. Not much in health care either, they have to go to bigger cities for specialized service with only one little hospital there.

It's not that close to the Olympics, either. I'd suggest Sequim or Port Angeles for a little better job picture and much better access to the mountains.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,469,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
I am thinking about different places that I might want to move once I finish with graduate school. I think Port Townsend sounds really interesting but I wanted to hear what people had to say about it. I think especially the arts seem well represented there... I am partially attracted to it because of the community printmaking shop at the state park there... And also because of the Olympic Mountains.

I am guessing like most towns that size it is driven by retirees and jobs are difficult to come by except maybe in the health care segment?
Well, Pt. Townsend has a smelly paper mill to begin with, but I don't know if it is still in busness. It didn't used to be a tourist town, they had the mill, logging and fishing. The main street used to be all lined up with taverns. It had the reputation of having the most drinkers and alcoholics in the state. Now these taverns are mostly touristy gift shops and resturants. The once sleezy tavern fronts have been painted up into antiquey chic. I've been told by friends that live there that Pt. Townsend society is very closed. If you think Seattle has a social chill, you haven't witnessed Pt. Townsend. There is a lot of social hiarchy, and in-fighting that you can find in many small towns because they all know each other. If you're not in the social inner-circle, your nobody.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,909 times
Port Townsend is basically a wonderful place on earth. Your have

Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,911,602 times
I know someone that lives there (retired) and she absolutely loves it. It is one of my favorite day trips to make from Seattle. But yeah, I don't know what kind of job you do there. What about Poulsbo?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 13,429 times
I'm fairly new to PT. Moved here from down south & absolutely love it. It's not nearly as "dreary" up here (the Pacific Northwest) as it's billed and the summers are GLORIOUS. But I don't work so I can't comment on the job market but I will say that I can't believe any of the surrounding areas (anywhere in the country?) are flush with jobs either.

I'm a bit shocked at the comments about it being a closed society. I'm definitely new here and have been nothing but welcomed by every level here. I know more people here after a year or two than I ever did in 35+ years in the south which has such a reputation of friendliness.

There's always something going on - too many times multiple events on the same day so you can't get to them all. There are festivals - Rhododendron, Wooden Boat, PT Film Festival, Blues, Jazz, Writing, Kinetic SkulPTure. And we have the best small movie theater in The Rose. The Uptown theater is wonderful as well and we even have a summer drive-in movie theater still. Monthly art walk is extremely popular too. Our Farmers' Market was deemed the state's best last year. We also lead in hybrid cars & solar panels, per capita, in the state (as I remember...) We are a Victorian town on the National Historic Register surrounded by the Cascades & the Olympics. There's nothing like walking around looking at water (Puget Sound), bald eagles and snow-capped mountains - on clear days Mts Baker & Rainier are right there. Whale-watching tours leave from the marina and the state ferry system serves PT via Whidbey Island. The trail system is amazing - you can easily walk from town to Fort Worden, the state park where so many arts-related events are held as well as hosting camping & a marine science center.

The mill? I've "smelled" it where I live about 3-4 times in the past two years. But it depends where you live. It's been here since 1928 and people depend on it for their living.

Perfect? No - no place is, but this is a truly wonderful little town.

Come visit and see for yourself. Took me one day to fall in love with it. Haven't changed my mind yet.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,208,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLiving View Post
I'm fairly new to PT. Moved here from down south & absolutely love it. It's not nearly as "dreary" up here (the Pacific Northwest) as it's billed and the summers are GLORIOUS. But I don't work so I can't comment on the job market but I will say that I can't believe any of the surrounding areas (anywhere in the country?) are flush with jobs either.

I'm a bit shocked at the comments about it being a closed society. I'm definitely new here and have been nothing but welcomed by every level here. I know more people here after a year or two than I ever did in 35+ years in the south which has such a reputation of friendliness.

There's always something going on - too many times multiple events on the same day so you can't get to them all. There are festivals - Rhododendron, Wooden Boat, PT Film Festival, Blues, Jazz, Writing, Kinetic SkulPTure. And we have the best small movie theater in The Rose. The Uptown theater is wonderful as well and we even have a summer drive-in movie theater still. Monthly art walk is extremely popular too. Our Farmers' Market was deemed the state's best last year. We also lead in hybrid cars & solar panels, per capita, in the state (as I remember...) We are a Victorian town on the National Historic Register surrounded by the Cascades & the Olympics. There's nothing like walking around looking at water (Puget Sound), bald eagles and snow-capped mountains - on clear days Mts Baker & Rainier are right there. Whale-watching tours leave from the marina and the state ferry system serves PT via Whidbey Island. The trail system is amazing - you can easily walk from town to Fort Worden, the state park where so many arts-related events are held as well as hosting camping & a marine science center.

The mill? I've "smelled" it where I live about 3-4 times in the past two years. But it depends where you live. It's been here since 1928 and people depend on it for their living.

Come visit and see for yourself. Took me one day to fall in love with it. Haven't changed my mind yet.
Word.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM

324 posts, read 404,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLiving View Post

What a great post. Makes me want to hop a plane asap. Have you thought of working for the Chamber of Commerce?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 13,429 times
thanks! this was my first post so i'm very new to city-data, other than reading it for years while searching for "the" place.

i just told my truth about p.t. there are many of us who realize how very fortunate we are to live here.

hop that plane!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,312 times
I am a long timer here in Port Townsend. Yes there are things to do on the weekends as mentioned...but they cost money and not just a few bucks. The Wooden Boat Festival cost about $25.00 to get into, just as an example. Not trying to be negative, but it is what it is. Some days the smell of the mill can drift all the way to Cape George (15 mins out of town) to Port Hadlock about 20 mins from town. If one is thinking of moving here, do your research and think twice. Jobs are not plentiful here. They consist of mostly seasonal, part time or on call and pay min wage. Which the one good thing WA state has is the highest amount of all the states $9.19, plus here if you work in a restaurant, you get paid the min wage plus tips. It is a beautiful city but rents are expensive $700 + and most are from people who are renting out their own homes. The apts are mostly low income and/or senior/disabled. There is a big gap between the well to do and the poor. There are some friendly people and some snobs. The customer service in some of the businesses really sucks. Too many times I have gone into a local business and all I hear is the latest gossip about other people. Speaking of which, since this is a Mayberry town, everyone knows everyone's business. There are no other people like the people in Port Townsend. Some of the older people are hopelessly stuck in the 60's and refuse to budge. With their long hair, attire and Birkenstock sandals with wool socks in summer and winter...well it is just something else. If you want to use the ferry system to go to Whidbey Island, there is only one ferry in the winter. During other times of the year, some ferry times are changed due to low tides. You can drive around to Seattle-via Tacoma Narrows bridge or drive to Bainbridge and drive on the ferry or walk on. The summer rates are higher than the fall rates and it is not cheap to drive on the ferry. Parking downtown Bainbridge is about $8.00 a day? may be more,,,Many of us drive to Kitsap County 45 minutes from town. That is where the mall is. Big box stores, fast food places, more shops et al: Dollar Tree. Verizon, Ross, Tuesday Morning, Red Robin and so on. Sequim does have some big box stores but they are limited and we usually drive to Kitsap. Hope is helps. Best bet is too read local newspapers here: The Leader, Peninsula Daily News. Check out the job search Washington State information. Do your research if you are serious about moving to Mayberry. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington