Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
If you prefer 85-100+ degree weather then I can see how WA would not be your cup of tea. Where I live in SoCal it is 90-100+ all Summer and I can't stand it. I find the heat oppressive and I opt to stay inside in the air conditioning....so I guess it just depends of your personal preferences. Fall and Winter here we are lucky enough that temps drop to 50-65 degrees, so I can actually go outside and be comfortable.
where is that "here"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 PM

355 posts, read 990,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFaninOrlando View Post
Well, I can tell you that we almost never get any kind of breeze here. Too inland. After so many years of living where I have to, I'm looking forward to living where I want to. So far, WA is extremely high on my list. As long as I can get a decent condo/townhouse for under $350K. Thanks to all who have responded.
Yes, central inland FL does get hot. I was only a couple miles inland down by West Palm...makes a difference. We've been relocated to WA this time. Really looking forward to it...hope I like it as much as I liked FL.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
where is that "here"
sorry for the confusing writing. I live in San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena area) of Los Angeles county. I meant that in Winter here (near Pasadena) it finally gets down to 50-65...but that its hot alllll summer, which lasts from May through October.

I love WA weather b/c it is not so hot.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Hey Ness - I was born in Santa Monica and grew up in Marina Del Rey/Westchester area of LA

I moved up to Sacramento Valley for college

We were looking at moving back down to either Pasedena area or Ventura

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Actually, I don't mind the winters half as much as the summers that either fail to materialize - or end up pretty enemic (like this year has been). As least the winters are relatively warm (not compared to Florida mind you, but to much of the rest of the country - especially those places at a similar latitude). Those occasional summers where the sun refuses to come out far too much of the time - and the temps stubbornly remain on the cooler side (of an already not-particularly-warm average) reeally start to get to me.

So very glad we're eventually retiring to our land in Arizona.

Love the Seattle area when the weather is sunny and warm - problem is, that's just not often enough for us (especially in some years).

Ken

Old 08-22-2007, 11:03 AM

307 posts, read 1,421,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Hey Ness - I was born in Santa Monica and grew up in Marina Del Rey/Westchester area of LA

I moved up to Sacramento Valley for college

We were looking at moving back down to either Pasedena area or Ventura
I think Pasadena area is very nice......I think I am just tired of the high cost of living, congestion, heat, smog, traffic, etc.

DH and are thinking about starting a family and clean air, a bigger house, and great schools kinda sound really good to us. We still haven't made the decision whether or not we're leaving. We're kinda on the fence. Just spent the weekend up in WA though and love it more and more. If we stay here we both have to work our butts off to make ends meet. In WA we can manage for me to stay home with the kiddies if I choose and DH can retire sooner. Sounds pretty good to have those options.

Ventura definitely has nicer weather than Pasadena area.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
With you coming from Florida western Washington will probably feel cold to you. Me coming from the east coast I found western Washington to be a relief.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:17 PM

424 posts, read 2,697,231 times
It's a small world. I grew up in Temple City, CA and like CityGirl moved to Sacramento.

My husband and I get depressed from too much heat. Seems like it just gets cool and wet enough and then it's gone for 9 or 10 months. Maybe we are just in a bad mood since it's been 100+ the last couple of days and is supposed to be close to or over 100 for at least the next two weeks.

Someone on the Forum said that the midwest has two seasons, cold and bugs. Guess both CA and WA are better than the bug season

Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,762 times
I think it's funny that people don't like the cloudiness! I've been here my entire life and I never gave the clouds a 2nd thought. The clouds are there sometimes and not others. It never seemed like a big deal to me.

I think Western Washington gets a bad rap. We aren't even on the top 10 list for rainy days.

If they gray starts to bother you, open your windows to let any light in you can. Maybe even turn on the lights. I guess I just don't understand this issue.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 AM

559 posts, read 2,116,073 times
As I have stated in multiple posts, this is a very personal issue but one that needs to be thought about BEFORE you move.

I am a native of Washington but for most of my life was raised in the South. The only "experience" I had with Western Washington was in the summers, which I had found were cool and lovely, with occasional rain but mostly sunshine. I moved prior to the advent of personal computers and never thought to look up the weather in the library; it didn't even occur to me to ask someone. I mean, how could I have even guessed that a state could have gray skies so much of the year???

I moved back to WA in 1993, and for several years, the gray skies didn't bother me. However, the last 5 years have been sheer H-LL. I have had my fill of gray skies and am desperate for some sunshine. I miss my Southern home more than I can say, but I am stuck here as I am married to a lovely man, whom I love very much, but he will not move to the South.

This is a very personal decision for each person. My very strong advice to anyone thinking of moving here, who has never lived here before, is to come here to visit in November. You'll have a perfect idea of what living here is like about 9 months out of the year. If you like it, then you're good. If you don't, well, then at least you know. Far better than moving here and hating it, I think.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington