Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,722 times

Advertisements

As an African-American family of six relocating to the PNW from Southern California, I am looking for honest feedback on how my family will be accepted moving to Bellingham, Lynden, Blaine, or Ferndale.

My husband has a job opportunity in Blaine, WA and we are looking to relocate in early 2012. We visited the Bellingham/Lynden area once with our children and everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly. We are in the process of narrowing down the search for a home and I was wondering if there are pockets of NW Washington that would be more or less accepting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 04:35 PM

21 posts, read 48,779 times
Why wouldn't you be accepted anywhere???

Old 09-30-2011, 04:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Lynden is very much a 'dutch' farm community. It's rumored if your not dutch, you nobody and it is a tight little community. Ferndale is a scandinavian farm community. Mostly Swedes and Norwegian. Bellingham is a college town so it's more mixed. Not sure about Blaine. Most people who work there are border patrol and that's about all there is.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
I had an AA friend in college from Ferndale. Ferndale is an accepting, tight knit community. The high school athletic program is pretty successful. One of the few schools not named Bellevue to win a AAA state football title in the last decade.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Ferndale is a scandinavian farm community. Mostly Swedes and Norwegian.
The oil refineries diversified Ferndale a bit.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 PM

304 posts, read 850,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused Relocator View Post
As an African-American family of six relocating to the PNW from Southern California, I am looking for honest feedback on how my family will be accepted moving to Bellingham, Lynden, Blaine, or Ferndale.

My husband has a job opportunity in Blaine, WA and we are looking to relocate in early 2012. We visited the Bellingham/Lynden area once with our children and everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly. We are in the process of narrowing down the search for a home and I was wondering if there are pockets of NW Washington that would be more or less accepting?
Take anything Vinylly says with a tablespoon of salt. He always tries to discourage any minority from moving to Washington state. In fact I don't think he even lives here anymore.

I'm black. You'll be fine just about anywhere you go, especially a midsize city like Bellingham. It is a college town with a reputation for being very liberal. To me another important question to ask is will your kids get bored? Some of the smaller towns up there don't have a lot of action. It can be dull to a teenager. You will have to make sure they are involved in plenty of positive activities.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
Take anything Vinylly says with a tablespoon of salt. He always tries to discourage any minority from moving to Washington state. In fact I don't think he even lives here anymore.
Well... to be fair, his assessment is spot on. Lynden is known to be a Dutch Reformer town and there's been people, even on this forum, who have complained about it (they too were outsiders).

Vinylly actually been a very positive and helpful poster recently... he was just espousing the Seattle positives, I was almost ajarred. And he also gave a very kind, interesting, inspiring and supportive post to that Chinese guy who was complaining about being lonely.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 48,779 times
Still asking the same question as before, why would a black family not be accepted anywhere??? Does a persons race, religion, ethnic origin make them get treated differently in the PNW???

Just asking.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:55 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Of the towns mention, I would suggest Bellingham. It's about a 20 minute commute to Blaine. Good schools, excellent soccer programs and a great soccer complex including an indoor soccer arena, ice rink, public pool, etc. More shopping, theaters, and stuff for kids to do.

And as aforementioned, it's a tolerant liberal college town with a good school system.

Not many African Americans live here so you should be aware of that. However, there are almost none in all the other cities mentioned combined.

Avoid Lynden like the plague. The overt Dutch reform vibe is toxic.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 PM

304 posts, read 850,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Blazer View Post
Still asking the same question as before, why would a black family not be accepted anywhere??? Does a persons race, religion, ethnic origin make them get treated differently in the PNW???

Just asking.
That is a naive question but I take it that you genuinely are not aware that there are places where discrimination still exists. The PNW by and large is a very tolerate region but not everybody knows that. It behooves a minority who has been exposed to racism somewhere to wonder if they might experience it here.

Anybody, whether a racial or religious minority or an immigrant, or a person with disabilities, or an American moving to a foreign country where the locals don't speak English might decide to do a little research before they leap.

Last edited by vandygirl; 10-01-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington