U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM

38 posts, read 88,129 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone:

Part 1

What are the pro's and con's of purchasing a mobile home in Sequim or Port Angeles? (I visited some years ago and liked the area. I've been working overseas and I'm considering living in the area part-year).

Since prices of mobile homes are so low it would allow me to have "a place of my own" and still maintain my savings.

Part 2

Would it be possible to purchase a cottage on the outskirts of Sequim or Port Angeles for under $50,000?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,828 posts, read 44,565,197 times
You might find a tiny mobile in a mobile home park for that. From $75-100k you can find an older 3br/2ba mobile on a small lot. Stick built homes are still running $200,000+ in both areas unless a real fixer. Even a 1970s mobile on a few acres (home value 0) is going to run $200,000. You can buy a lot for $50-75,000 and the new mobile dealers on 101 are closing out some for $50-70,000 but you still have the cost of utilities and foundation.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM

Just looked at trulia.com today and saw listings for mobile homes in Sequim for under $25,000. Monthly rental fee is $340 month (Sequim Real Estate & Sequim Homes For Sale Trulia.com).

Any information on pro's and con's of renting at a local trailer park?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,828 posts, read 44,565,197 times
A recent trend is for mobile home parks to be sold to developers and be replaced by shopping centers or new homes. That seemed to stop about 2008 but when the economy improves could happen again. Stick to parks that are well established with newer tenant mobiles in residential areas
to help your chances of staying a while. They are expensive to move, and
most parks have few or no empty spaces. I would be more positive about Sequim, as it's a popular retirement area and parks do well as they are so affordable.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the information.

I might be able to visit the area this year.

I've been working overseas and contemplating a home purchase stateside, but when I look at home costs it just seems easier to stay overseas.

I was looking at the Sequim and Port Angeles area for the geography.

Just outside of Sequim, is it possible to purchase a small cottage (not too expensive) or are those days also long gone?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 AM

549 posts, read 1,726,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypost View Post
Just outside of Sequim, is it possible to purchase a small cottage (not too expensive) or are those days also long gone?
As Hemlock said above, the entry level price point for a stick built home (cottage or otherwise) in this area is going to be roughly 100K. At least for a home that is habitable anyway... Anything priced less than this is likely going to be manufactured housing. As the price drops from there, so will the caliber/condition of the mobile home and/or the size of the lot.

FWIW, the real estate market here remains mostly flat and prices have dropped significantly from the peak market highs of several years ago (as is the case for most locales around the country), but that doesn't necessarily mean that PA/Sequim homes are now inexpensive. It's just that homes don't cost as much as they did three or four years ago. So whether we're expensive or not in Sequim/PA will depend upon whether you're used to San Francisco home prices or Las Vegas home prices.

Perhaps jump on a real estate site search engine to find out what you can get for your dollar here. For example, the main sites serving this area would be Windermere, John L. Scott or Coldwell Banker (in no particular order). Select WA state and then Clallam County. Add Port Angeles/Sequim, set your price points and see what pops up. This will give a feel for the property market and allow you to "see" what your budget will buy.

Hopes this helps a little more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington