Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,622 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating within the next few months and Fort Lewis is, as of now, one of our top 2 choices. We just have once concern. Ironically both of us have developed anxiety in high traffic areas. Is the Fort Lewis area a big metropolitan area (since next to the 5 freeway and nestled between Olympia and Seattle), or is it more like a smaller city with moderate conjestion? The area sounds ideal minus the thought of driving around white-knuckled with blood pressure up due to the anxiety. Is there an area we should look into for housing that may offer a more rural feel?

Also we are relocating from Germany, and it will take approximately 3 months for our household goods to arrive. Does anyone know if the base offers loaner furniture (for off base housing)? It was offered when we arrived in Germany which is why I ask. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Some of the nearby areas such as Spanaway, Lakewood, Parkland and Dupont
are far more liveable yet close enough that the traffic, while always heavy makes for a short commute. I'd suggest Lacey as the best though the commute is a little longer, and depending on the time of day may not be too bad. That area of I5 is actually worst on the weekends with people going
south from Seattle Saturday and back Sunday.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
the I5 traffic is HORRIBLE around JBLM!! I have freeway terror & have to disagree with Hemlock140 - I will actually drive thru that area on weekends but NEVER midweek.

I do know of one "back road" way in (the east gate?) where if you were coming from Roy, Yelm, Graham area could be used; there may be others.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
Teletesl,

There is no temporary furniture. ACS has a loan closet where you can get dishes, iron, ironing board, etc. Did you ship all your goods in one household goods shipment, or did you also have a hold baggage shipment?
There are some fully furnished temporary lodging places in the Fort Lewis area that may work for you. There are also furniture rental businesses.

If you want to avoid traffic, there is always on-post living. The next best alternative would be Dupont, as it's right across from post and you don't even need to get on the interstate. Another option would be Roy, Yelm or McKenna, which are all close to the East gate. You would avoid interstate traffic, but the commute would be a bit longer. For a 10 minute commute with just a short stint on I-5 (2 exits), I would recomend Lacey's Hawks Prairie area.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM

27 posts, read 64,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
the I5 traffic is HORRIBLE around JBLM!! I have freeway terror & have to disagree with Hemlock140 - I will actually drive thru that area on weekends but NEVER midweek.

I do know of one "back road" way in (the east gate?) where if you were coming from Roy, Yelm, Graham area could be used; there may be others.
Looking to move to the Yelm area and was wondering if the east gate is how I'd access Lewis (if so how long of a commte is it), looking to shorten my commute and stay clear of I5. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington