U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:31 PM

37 posts, read 139,605 times
Default Moving to Tacoma area - nice suburbs?

My husband is getting a job in Tacoma. We are looking for a nice neighborhood less than 30 min drive from Tacoma. This is my first time moving near an active volcano and I don't want to move to any neighborhoods in the lahar areas. I really want to find a nice neighborhood with sidewalks and pretty views and or trees that is at a nice elevation. We have two young kids so a kid friendly place would be wonderful.

Never been to this part of Washington before and we are needing to buy a house before we move out there...never done that before either. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by pinkrattie; 01-05-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM

5,516 posts, read 6,202,524 times
Honestly, you're going to find a lot people going to poo'poo your volcanic fears. Ultimately, we don't know when it's going to happen... it may never happen in our lifetimes, or its got about 200 more years.

With all that said... in that general area with good schools under 30 mins to Tacoma-- assuming some traffic-- (also not in the theoretic path of the lahars): University Place, Gig Harbor (though a lot of people will be quick to point out a 1-way toll over the bridge coming to Tacoma, it evens out in the long run), Steilacoom.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM

593 posts, read 389,745 times
Olympia, Dupont, Gig Harbor or Steilacoom.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM

953 posts, read 2,496,871 times
I'd recommend Steilacoom, Dupont and Gig Harbor. Buying before you move out is a bit risky. I'd recommend researching which school district you want your children to be in and coming out for a visit to check out the neighborhoods and communities in that district.
Best of luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM

431 posts, read 266,898 times
can't you please rent before buying? you have alot of area/options to explore...selling a house isn't easy right now.
Gig Harbor is a messy commute & requires a toll bridge. do you have an idea of part of Tacoma he will be communing to?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
can't you please rent before buying? you have alot of area/options to explore...selling a house isn't easy right now.
Gig Harbor is a messy commute & requires a toll bridge. do you have an idea of part of Tacoma he will be communing?
We have thought about renting, but don't want to pack and repack with a 1 and 3 year old.

My husband will be working in down town Tacoma.

Last edited by David Aguilar; 01-07-2012 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: fixed quoting

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM

14,067 posts, read 16,413,594 times
If you are concerned about Rainier stay out of Puyallup/Orting and other areas south of Tacoma. I'd consider Auburn or even Covington, though despite the commute if it were me I'd seriously consider Gig Harbor.

If the toll on the bridge bothers you there is a 102 express bus weekdays for $2, while the toll is $2.75-$5.50 depending how you pay, and with the bus there is no gas expense. The bus ride is about 45 minutes.

Route 102 Gig Harbor - Tacoma Express

Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 PM

815 posts, read 1,553,802 times
Gig Harbor to Tacoma is not a bad commute. It used to be before they built the new bridge, but it's now a breeze. It takes very little time unless you live way way out on the peninsula.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 PM

65 posts, read 55,582 times
When you say neighborhood, I think you must mean suburb? Because very little of Tacoma proper is exposed to lahar, even in the most violent possible eruption. If you do a google image search you'll find maps pretty easily, for starters you can cross Orting off your list. Maybe Puyallup too, which is Seattle metro's unofficial redneck central. Depending on what you are used to, that could be a good thing or a bad thing. Also look at google maps and turn on terrain, and that will give you an idea which areas are at lower versus higher elevations.

I'd be more concerned with what kind of commute, neighbors, and architecture you want. Tacoma has some beautiful older areas north of Division St, and some crime ridden ones south of it. 6th St has a walkable area with vintage stores and coffee houses. There are some really pretty suburban areas, most of which are at upper elevation and often have good views of Mt Rainier. Some ugly ones too, like Fife.

Since you are not from the area, Tacoma to Seattle commute is a nightmare, I used to do the opposite commute and even that was awful. For two cities of the same metro, the distance seems great and the vibe is quite different.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 PM

Sounds like gig harbor is a great place...would I have to go over the toll bridge for grocery shopping and other shopping? Is there much on the island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington