U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 PM

8 posts, read 33,170 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm looking at moving to Seattle area from Louisiana. I was looking at working in Seattle but my options are completely open. I've been looking at Bainbridge Island, Edmonds,Mercer Island, Snoqualmie, & Mukilteo for where I would move.(All seem to have low crime & look just beautiful- I would not mind a ferry ride to work i want something completely different! I've worked in a hospital in an ER full time & hotel part time for a long time & LOVE what I do at both & Louisiana is a great state but I'm ready for mountains, water, to be close to enough to see Orca whales from time to time. I've been near San Fracisco many times & love the Pacific Northwest. I enjoy fishing,biking,running on a beautiful day, camping, I think I could handle a little snow ( we dont see much here ) A raining day is relaxing to me but I like a beautiful sunny day too.. the weather there seems nice as far as temperatures, but is it really as gray & depressing as people make it out to be? are there areas that are close to Seattle that get more sun? I'm going for a visit soon & am VERY excited (I usually take a day off both every 5-6 months or so & go have a "get away") just wanted some advise from people who live there. Looking forward to whatever insight yall can give. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 AM

847 posts, read 3,009,475 times
We literally have hundreds of threads on weather, so I suggest you look on those. Yes, it's true that our weather is very gray and gloomy and depressing for many people, including myself. You do get sort of used to it, but it can be very difficult for people to get used to. You won't really have to worry about snow because we get very little every winter. Our winters are mild compared to other northern areas, but expect to see clouds/drizzly/misty rain for 7 to 9 months a year. And I'm not exaggerating...this is a Washington marine area and that's what you should expect.

Seattle is a great place to get a healthcare job, so you shouldn't have any trouble there. What kind of work do you do at the hospital? If you plan to live on Mercer or Bainbridge Island, I hope you make a lot of money because these areas are very very expensive. You'll find very large homes and rich people living there. They are great communities, though, if you can afford it.

Are there areas close to Seattle where you can get sun? No. If you want sun, you'll need to live on the east side of the mountains, which is a much drier and sunnier climate. But if you like San Francisco, Seattle and marine weather this is probably not where you want to live.

I'm sure somebody will tell you about our "sun belt" that goes out towards Sequim, Port Angeles, etc., but it's just not true. Yes, it doesn't rain as much, but it's every bit as gray and dreary as Seattle. If you can take a trip out here in winter, that is best because you'll get a real picture for what it's like for most of the year. Our summers are beautiful, though! You will fall in love with the area in the summer, but realize that it's not like this all year round!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 AM

where would you reccomend when you say East Side? Thanks so much for your help!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,646,436 times
When Sobefobik was referring to the "East side of the mountains"... he was referring to Eastern WA... like Spokane. It does have the sun... but weather-wise, personality-wise, topography-wise, ambience... Spokane and et al are nothing like Seattle. It also more likely to snow in Eastern WA. Thats why he was saying, if you like SF, Seattle and the marine weather, then Eastern WA isn't necessarily going to cut it for you.

ETA: The areas you are looking at are very nice. But... what more are you looking for? Do you have kids (schools)? Would you rather be closer to the city, or more out in the nature? Budget? Buy/Rent? How much time are you willing to deal in traffic (if commuting during rush) et. c.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 01-12-2012 at 01:01 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 AM

Hey I LOVED the bay area! I have no kids it's just me. I looked at apartments online in all those places &the areas are beautiful! I wanted to be a Marine Biologist growing up. i taught sign language & drama 6 years to gifted students & now I've worked in a hospital for 6 & concierge department for 3. I was going to go by Harborview & maybe look at some hotels when I go visit soon. I love the outdoors & the idea of waking up to mountains & being near the water. I'm just not sure how would do with no sun that long.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,582,032 times
I have to disagree with the comments about sun and Sequim. I spend a lot of time just outside of Sequim in unincorporated Port Angeles (parents) and they see the sun nearly every day. It may only be for 2-3 hours in the afternoon but it is definitely more than here in the Seattle Area. The same applies to
Whidbey Island. Unfortunately neither of those areas has much in the way of jobs.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,646,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-I-am View Post
Hey I LOVED the bay area! I have no kids it's just me. I looked at apartments online in all those places &the areas are beautiful! I wanted to be a Marine Biologist growing up. i taught sign language & drama 6 years to gifted students & now I've worked in a hospital for 6 & concierge department for 3. I was going to go by Harborview & maybe look at some hotels when I go visit soon. I love the outdoors & the idea of waking up to mountains & being near the water. I'm just not sure how would do with no sun that long.
You might like all those areas now, but come and visit. You might be surprised that you don't like it enough to live there. You might like instead West Seattle, Columbia City or Ballard instead.

As for the concern about the "no sun"... seriously, look over to the Seattle Forum, look under the many many many pages of the Seattle Weather thread. Your concern is not at all unique and many posters have had asked about it. Some people like it, some don't mind... and there are those that abhor it (and you'll know which one they are). But there are also those that are affected by it and they talk about what they do alleviate it.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,435,730 times
If you need daily sun, Western WA is probably not for you. If this isn't a priority, then W. WA is filled with great cities and towns that offer friendly, growth-oriented cities and towns that are reasonably priced. And they can be beautiful year-round. And, in most cases, you won't need a shovel.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 AM

what about the Olympic rain shadow are there many mountains there?
are there areas that have more sunshine near the water & still see mountains?
I dont think i would mind rain as much as long i could see a few sunny days or just sun for a little while a few days during the week. my main thing is being in the mountains/water without having to shovel snow all time but i wouldnt mind everynow & then. if I can find a place to visit that has a decent amount of sun i wouldnt complain. also can you see the mountains on a cloundy day? ( i drive about 30 min everyday to work& there's nothing like a beautiful drive itt's just missing mountains & water! I'm in complete awe of it everytime i drive in it part of me wonders if i would even be affected by the clouds as much as i love just waking up to it!) but everytime i go to san francisco/sacramento i have a hard time leaving & have always looked at & wondered about seattle,san juan islands, areas like that. Do any of you know of anyone whose moved from South Louisiana to that area & how they've done? i thought about san diego (mountains,water, sea world is there..i have a thing about aquariums & water! ) washington looks much more beautiful thanm san diego! I've love that it's the home of the southern resident orca population! do yall have any advise on a low crime area i could visit i'm going to plan a whale watching trip &will b there 4 days in april. Thanks for any advise yall can give!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM

847 posts, read 3,009,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-I-am View Post
what about the Olympic rain shadow are there many mountains there?
are there areas that have more sunshine near the water & still see mountains?
I dont think i would mind rain as much as long i could see a few sunny days or just sun for a little while a few days during the week. my main thing is being in the mountains/water without having to shovel snow all time but i wouldnt mind everynow & then. if I can find a place to visit that has a decent amount of sun i wouldnt complain. also can you see the mountains on a cloundy day? ( i drive about 30 min everyday to work& there's nothing like a beautiful drive itt's just missing mountains & water! I'm in complete awe of it everytime i drive in it part of me wonders if i would even be affected by the clouds as much as i love just waking up to it!) but everytime i go to san francisco/sacramento i have a hard time leaving & have always looked at & wondered about seattle,san juan islands, areas like that. Do any of you know of anyone whose moved from South Louisiana to that area & how they've done? i thought about san diego (mountains,water, sea world is there..i have a thing about aquariums & water! ) washington looks much more beautiful thanm san diego! I've love that it's the home of the southern resident orca population! do yall have any advise on a low crime area i could visit i'm going to plan a whale watching trip &will b there 4 days in april. Thanks for any advise yall can give!
Listen, only you can decide how well you'll do in an area like this, and our experiences may not be yours. Also, reading about weather and experiencing it are two totally different things. Some people cannot deal with this weather...others do very well and love it.

My grandma always says that she loves it when it gets dark around 4:00 because it makes her feel safe and it comforts her. She also likes the cloudiness/gray. I, on the other hand, have a very difficult time dealing with the clouds and plan on moving to a new area.

As far as I'm concerned, the rain shadow is a myth. The areas may get less rain, but it's still very cloudy. Even if the sun does come out, it's not a truly "sunny" day and it's totally different from what you're used to or what a summer day is like. When it is cloudy, you often do not see the mountains. Sometimes if it's a high haze, with is also common, you can see the mountains. It really depends, and there's no definite calculation for when you can see them.

If you're really drawn to San Francisco, the bay, mountains, etc., you may very well love it here and the rain may not be a problem for you. (Snow is not an issue here, so that's a plus if you don't like snow.) Why not just give it a try and see what you think? You'll never know if you don't try it. The worst thing that can happen is that you hate it and move back to Louisiana.
As far as natural beauty, this area is wonderful. But it really takes some getting used to. Like I always say, it's really important to stay active in the winter months, especially if the grayness starts getting to you.

Are you whale watching in the San Juans? Don't worry about crime there because it's basically non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington