U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,839,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It is rainy and overcast as much as nine months of the year.
Patently false.

If you are going to suggest to someone you understand the weather in Western WA, at least be accurate.

You leave the impression that it rains every day for 9 months. And that's just not even close to being true. And, the manner in which overcast weather is measured is seriously flawed. I can think of many days during the year in which clouds give way to sun that are considered overcast. How ironic that the weather for the better part of the next week is slated for sun?

As to the OP, go east...you will find like minded folks there, Plenty of outdoor opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,744 posts, read 37,369,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
... Mountain life suits us fine. We do want to be near the metro areas though.

... We are not ranchers nor farmers so that is not a career need. We just like and fit in with the country life and mindset. We are most certainly mountian folk though. We currently live in Colorado ... We can't tolerate severe snow/cold winters. Its bad enough here in Fort Collins, and it really isn't that bad compared to the time I spent in the Midwest.
You will be hard pressed to find a better climate and more accessible mtn / country music scene, and conservative values + be near metro than Ft Collins region. (Having grown up in Masonville...~10 miles west: population: 5).

Your best bet on the west side will be area around Chehalis to Randle, but these are LOGGERS, far different culture than farm / ranch.

There are a few small areas on west side that are farm centric, and close to Mtns and significant metro area would be Lynden. (far NW).

Otherwise you will have to be eastside. Probably Wenachee, or Spokane / Newport.

Idaho will have more of what you are looking for. We_tside, WA does not FEEL warmer than Ft Collins. You won't be getting any of those 60- 70F days in January accompanied by a chinook wind in WA. (I rode my bike to work all but 3 days the last yr I lived in Colorado. I have ridden my bike to work about 3 days since moving to PNW (28 yrs ago). VERY cold and wet, dark and narrow country roads (I have never lived in town in PNW, a few of my friends ride bikes. 3 have been killed, 2 severely injured (all hit by cars who could not see them... or NOT used to seeing bikes ). Due to humidity and cold... I wear thermals ~ 6 months of the yr, INDOORS and out. BTW, it has been a very mild winter. with a few exceptions...

Fair warning...
Our company transferred several hundred people from Colorado to PNW, most came back within a yr, others divorced and family+custodial spouse came back to Colorado. Some stayed (the few that were really into sailing, diving, and inland water kayaking... tough to find in Colorado).

BEST ADVICE >>>>> DO NOT buy (or rent) a house back in the trees<<<<< Light, you need to think LIGHT when selecting a place to habitate on the we_tside.

Reconsider ID, WY, MT.

As far as conservative... you can't be subject to being upset about your vote / campaign / issues not being welcomed or even heard in WA or OR. 2 - 3 counties have the vote to run the entire state. Rural / jobs / farming / ranching / land rights... will NEVER be addressed to benefit those who work the land. Most of WA dairy farmers have had to relocate to ID, commercial businesses (especially those with taxable assets.. i.e. manufacturing) are following. Just the progress of democracy (as california moves north).

If you are planning to have a business in WA, carefully digest the WA DOR, DOe (Ecology), and L&I regs. One of Highest minimum wages in USA, of which voters and employees are very proud of

Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM

17,659 posts, read 10,167,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Patently false.
I said very specifically, as much as, and we've had years where newcomers have complained that it is more than that. I posted a link to the weather so if you want to disagree with the way the National Weather Service determines the weather, take it up with them. Our summer can start as late as July 5th (and has the last two or three years) and be on it's way out as early as mid-September. We have nice days distributed throughout the year and this has been a uniquely mild winter other than the week of snow. The OP said they were already concerned about the weather and have never even been to WA or OR. They are coming from Colorado where it is sunny nearly every day. Big difference.

Last edited by Seacove; 02-01-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,033,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
I appreciate all the answers thus far. We prefer, however to stay on the west side of the Cascade Mountain Range, at least initially. We don't absolutely have to have an agricultural area, just a country area with more of a country attitude/lifestyle as opposed to an urban/contemporary lifestyle. Mountain life suits us fine. We do want to be near the metro areas though.

We are looking at the Olympia area currently. Can anyone speak to how that area and surrounding area is?
Closer to Seattle I'd check out Duval, Carnation, and some of the places along U.S. 2 east of Everett.

Olympia may fit your needs. I'd check out areas south of town, like outside of Tumwater. Delphi, Littlerock, East Olympia (which is SE Olympia where the old Amtrak station was), Eaton Prairie (south of Lake St. Clair), Tenino would all work.

The reason I initially suggested Eastern Washington is your initial hesitation towards cloudy weather. I don't mind it, because the rain is rarely hard so if you dress right, it is still easy to enjoy the outdoors.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:

While Olympia is smaller than Seattle, and it has a country feel, Washington state is a blue state. It is blue because of Western Washington. Eastern Washington leans red, like Idaho.
That's too broad of generalization. Take away the city of Seattle and Western Washington would probably be red too. Thurston County is roughly 60-40, but the a heavy % of that 60 are clustered in certain Olympia neighborhoods while areas south of town are dark red. Same thing applies in King County too as you get closer to the foothills.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

I have to agree with everybody else, Eastern Wa sounds a better fit. I actually do know some folks that like country music, but its not really huge in Western Wa.
Then why do country music stations get such huge rating here?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM

17,659 posts, read 10,167,542 times
Here are the presidential election results for 2008 and 2004. Obama beat McCain by 17 points and Kerry beat Bush by 7 points. 2008 US Presidential Election Results - Washington - USATODAY.com

Here is 2000 - Al Gore beat Bush by 6 points http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/s...&off=0&elect=0
Here is 1996 - Clinton beat Dole by 13 points http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/n....php?year=1996
Here is 1992 - Clinton beat Bush by 11 points http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/n....php?year=1992
Here is 1988 - Dukakis beat Bush by 2 points http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/n....php?year=1988

Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 12,620,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Then why do country music stations get such huge rating here?
... Because... there's 2 only stations? There's plenty other formats, lots of emphasize on rock, followed by Contemporary, followed by Jazz. I know The Wolf's been spending a lot of money trying to advertise itself... I guess you can say its working? But having only 2 stations itself is indication that... it's not that popular in Seattle MSA/Western Wa.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Here are the presidential election results for 2008 and 2004. Obama beat McCain by 17 points and Kerry beat Bush by 7 points. 2008 US Presidential Election Results - Washington - USATODAY.com

Here is 2000 - Al Gore beat Bush by 6 points 2000 Presidential General Election Results - Washington
Here is 1996 - Clinton beat Dole by 13 points 1996 Presidential General Election Results
Here is 1992 - Clinton beat Bush by 11 points 1992 Presidential General Election Results
Here is 1988 - Dukakis beat Bush by 2 points 1988 Presidential General Election Results
You take away the city of Seattle, Olympia, Tacoma, and Bellingham, and the state of Washington is a red state. Seattle is very un-diverse politically, which is why it carries so much weight politically for one party. Just take away the everything in the city limits and at the very least we would be a swing state.

The areas outside of urban areas are red areas, which is what the OP is looking for. The further you get away from urban areas, the more red it gets unless you are in the San Juans or certain parts of Jefferson County.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... Because... there's 2 only stations? There's plenty other formats, lots of emphasize on rock, followed by Contemporary, followed by Jazz.
Way more than 2 stations. I bet country is a solid #2 behind rock/pop. Jazz is a tiny, tiny niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or