U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 PM

17,659 posts, read 10,163,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Then why do country music stations get such huge rating here?
Do they? Markets:Seattle Tacoma | Radio-Info.com

The Seattle metro has a population of roughly 3.4 million. It looks like there's only four country stations here and really only two of any size. There's more talk stations than country. It's tied with Christian stations. I'm not saying no one listens to country, but as a percentage, it looks pretty small compared to all the others combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
You take away the city of Seattle, Olympia, Tacoma, and Bellingham, and the state of Washington is a red state. Seattle is very un-diverse politically, which is why it carries so much weight politically for one party. Just take away the everything in the city limits and at the very least we would be a swing state.

The areas outside of urban areas are red areas, which is what the OP is looking for. The further you get away from urban areas, the more red it gets unless you are in the San Juans or certain parts of Jefferson County.
You need to click on those maps. What you're saying is simply not true. We're talking over twenty years. We're talking Dukakis even won. And the most recent map has everything in Western Washington as blue - 14 counties. That's hardly just inside the city limits.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,032,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You need to click on those maps. What you're saying is simply not true. We're talking over twenty years. We're talking Dukakis even won.
Take away King County and the Republicans win two out of the last three Presidential contests here. Again, the only reason the state leans blue is due to a few heavily populated, extremely deep blue areas. Spatially more territory in this state is in areas that lean red, Western Washington included.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 PM

7,228 posts, read 12,617,041 times
Quote:
Way more than 2 stations. I bet country is a solid #2 behind rock/pop. Jazz is a tiny, tiny niche.
List of radio stations in Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll notice in this link that there's more Country music stations in Eastern Wa. The few smatterings that are in Western Wa is very much localized (Hoquiam/Ilwaco area, Centralia/Chehalis, Longview et. c-- the areas already recommended to OP). The 2 main Country stations in the Western Wa is 94.1 KMPS and The Wolf 100.7

Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Do they? Markets:Seattle Tacoma | Radio-Info.com

The Seattle metro has a population of roughly 3.4 million. It looks like there's only four country stations here and really only two of any size.
Don't forget overlapping stations in the periphery. I'd figure country gets more popular the further you get away from the city, and radio stations in places like Centralia reach into the Seattle metro area. In Olympia we can get Longview stations and in the Black Hills you can pick-up Portland FM stations.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
List of radio stations in Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll notice in this link that there's more Country music stations in Eastern Wa. The few smatterings that are in Western Wa is very much localized (Hoquiam/Ilwaco area, Centralia/Chehalis, Longview et. c-- the areas already recommended to OP). The 2 main Country stations in the Western Wa is 94.1 KMPS and The Wolf 100.7
KMPS has been the #1 radio station in Seattle many times. How many Jazz stations, hip hop stations (2?), classical stations are around here?

As I said before, Country is probably a solid #2 behind rock/pop in this market. Go to a country concert at the Puyallup Fair and you will see that is a significant market here. There are also bars that cater to the cowboy and cowboy wannabe crowd, most are found on the periphery and in rural areas. The OP could call up KPMS and ask where they could find live country music to listen to.

I listen to KJR and KIRO, so I have no horse in this fight. Just a lifelong native to the area who is somewhat familiar with local trends and demographics.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 12,617,041 times
Quote:
KMPS has been the #1 radio station in Seattle many times. How many Jazz stations, hip hop stations (2?), classical stations are around here?

As I said before, Country is probably a solid #2 behind rock/pop in this market. Go to a country concert at the Puyallup Fair and you will see that is a significant market here. There are also bars that cater to the cowboy and cowboy wannabe crowd, most are found on the periphery and in rural areas. The OP could call up KPMS and ask where they could find live country music to listen to.

I listen to KJR and KIRO, so I have no horse in this fight. Just a lifelong native to the area who is somewhat familiar with local trends and demographics.
No. Its been the #1 Country music station in Seattle many times. The more popular stations are KUBE, KISS, and 101.5.

Puyallup Fair is not much of an indication... as they are more likely to round up the Country music stars because it is part of that type of circuit (and quite frankly, how often do you see rappers and pop stars performing at a Fair? Not often). When they *do* have a pop star come in, the tickets cost even more because the demand is more.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
No. Its been the #1 Country music station in Seattle many times. The more popular stations are KUBE, KISS, and 101.5.
KMPS has been #1 many, many times*. I haven't followed the ratings in years, but when I did, KMPS was king.

I went to High School in Thurston County 20 years ago, and country was popular among a significant chunk of the population. At Tumwater High School, it was huge.

Again, country music is probably a solid #2 behind pop/rock. What's more popular? Not Jazz.

* - (here is an example)

Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM

So I post the ratings for all Seattle radio stations over the past three months which clearly show that country as a percentage of all local radio stations is waaaayy down the list. And you say it's probably a solid #2 behind pop/rock? Because...you say so? I hope no one is paying the professionals when they can just ask Andy for free.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
So I post the ratings for all Seattle radio stations over the past three months which clearly show that country as a percentage of all local radio stations is waaaayy down the list. And you say it's probably a solid #2 behind pop/rock?
What's #2 then? Classical? Hip Hop? Jazz? Pan Flute?

So if it is not #2, what is? Heck, if you break down the different genres in rock (classic, hard, alternative, etc), country might beat them too.

All I know is that a country station has been the ratings giant in the Seattle market over the last two decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or