U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM

307 posts, read 803,864 times

Advertisements

Greetings. My family an I are considering a move to Washington. We are looking for a rural, agricultural, old-fashioned, and conservative area. We are relatively small-town type people but fit well into places of most size, but probably not the most populous Seattle area. But we are open to suggestions, of course. We have traditional and conservative viewpoints with old-fashioned values and standards and are looking for a down-home area that would suit us. I have been looking at West of the Cascades due to the Mountainous/forested region with beauty and more populous areas. I am an advid outdoorsman so being near and/or in the Mountains/forests would be preferable. We are also, not as used to severley rainy or nearly constant cloud cover, and that does concern us as well, but may not deter us if that place/culture is right. Any advice on that subject would be appreciated.

We would like to be in a farming/ranching area within proximity to the mountains for summer camping as well as near metro areas. I am also a musical person (Traditional Country Music/Blues), and wanted to know if there were venues and places to get involved with others to play live music and which area those are most likely found.

We surely appreciate any help you can give us, and feel free to ask any questions if you need more specifics. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM

348 posts, read 893,983 times
I have not been in the State of Washington, but I will have a job interview via a videophone tomorrow. Because of this, I read so many threads in this forum.

Your description may be leading toward surroundings of the town of Ellensburg, Washington.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,034,738 times
It sounds like you want to be east of the mountains. There are forested/mountainous areas there too, but they don't get all that rain and cloudy weather. Just snow and cold in winter.

I'd look north of Spokane.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM

983 posts, read 4,220,422 times
I was going to suggest eastern WA, too. Plenty of mountains, forests and farm land, too. Stevens or Pend Oreille counties or even northern Spokane county would be appealing to you. Do you need to find employment? You'll find lots of camping areas around here. Four season climate, although this winter has been abnormally mild (not complaining!)

Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,753 posts, read 37,388,497 times
For westside locations, consider Lynden and Ferndale (Very close to BC, which has great recreation and culture offerings). Centralia / Chehalis, lean more conservative. Vancouver / Camas (Quite urban & Next to Portland) are conservative compared to Portland. (and very near Columbia Gorge.. It is pretty nice and accessible for recreation) White Salmon is pretty nice and has a good mix of people and activities (benefits from being across Bridge from Hood River). A short hr to Portland (which if you want a nice EZ airport, that is the place to depart.). No sales tax shopping in Oregon.

Ellensburg & Walla Walla are worth looking into as well. I'm glad you didn't mention needing bluegrass music, There is a serious drought of that in the PNW. Country is not very popular on the west side.

BTW: I'm from Masonville, CO. 30 + yrs in PNW

Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 PM

17,659 posts, read 10,175,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It sounds like you want to be east of the mountains. There are forested/mountainous areas there too, but they don't get all that rain and cloudy weather. Just snow and cold in winter.

I'd look north of Spokane.
I agree, sounds like Eastern Washington would be a better fit.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM

307 posts, read 803,864 times
I appreciate all the answers thus far. We prefer, however to stay on the west side of the Cascade Mountain Range, at least initially. We don't absolutely have to have an agricultural area, just a country area with more of a country attitude/lifestyle as opposed to an urban/contemporary lifestyle. Mountain life suits us fine. We do want to be near the metro areas though.

We are looking at the Olympia area currently. Can anyone speak to how that area and surrounding area is?

I have looked into the eastern side, but the western side appeals to us in more specific ways. We are not ranchers nor farmers so that is not a career need. We just like and fit in with the country life and mindset. We are most certainly mountian folk though. We currently live in Colorado and have lived in other mountainous regions in the West, myself being from the West.

Does anyone have any specific info as to whether there is a live Country Music scene? I know someone said that its not very popular on the west side, is this a unanimous thought amongst you? If so, where and how much of a Country Music scene is there on the east side? If there is one on the west side that would be preferable. Thanks for any advice you have.

Concerning the weather. The data I find on the web for rain and cloud cover seems ambiguous depending who you ask. Can anyone comment on the Olympia area, or on the variable regions on the western side. It seems too that it gets very, very cold and snowy on the East side. We can't tolerate severe snow/cold winters. Its bad enough here in Fort Collins, and it really isn't that bad compared to the time I spent in the Midwest.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 PM

You described a criteria that seemed much more suited to the Eastern side of the state and I've read your other posts where you have been searching the country for some time with a similar criteria. You can come to Olympia or Seattle, no one will stop you, but remember, we told you.

We are looking for a rural, agricultural, old-fashioned, and conservative area.

While Olympia is smaller than Seattle, and it has a country feel, Washington state is a blue state. It is blue because of Western Washington. Eastern Washington leans red, like Idaho.

We have traditional and conservative viewpoints with old-fashioned values and standards and are looking for a down-home area that would suit us.

Do you realize that Washington is ready to become the 7th state to legalize gay marriage? Religion is personal and Washington is one of the least religious states. Western Washington is socially liberal. Just remember, you were warned. Some may pipe in and say, "Hey, I'm conservative!" That's great, now take a look at election results.

We are also, not as used to severley rainy or nearly constant cloud cover, and that does concern us as well, but may not deter us if that place/culture is right.

It is rainy and overcast as much as nine months of the year. Olympia is very rainy - so is Seattle. Here is a link to show you the rain and cloud cover for Seattle and the previous months/years Seattle Climate Data - Monthly Summary Olympia is only about 60 miles away so the weather will not be that different, though I've heard Olympia has more rain. You say you would not be deterred if the place/culture is right. You mean how conservative it is?

We would like to be in a farming/ranching area within proximity to the mountains for summer camping as well as near metro areas. I am also a musical person (Traditional Country Music/Blues), and wanted to know if there were venues and places to get involved with others to play live music and which area those are most likely found

There's farming around Yakima and Eastern Washington. Western Washington has some rural areas but the farming leans toward the boutique. Tulips, grapes, specialty flowers, lavender, etc. This is because of the overcast skies and rain. Eastern Washington has potatoes, cherries, apples, grapes, farming. As for country music, no idea. I don't know anyone who listens to it.

We have mountains and beauty like no other and that's no lie. We have trees and water that will bring tears to your eye but this is not a conservative farming area and this area is deep green because of all the rain, mist and overcast skies. So move here if you like but just remember, this is the unvarnished truth from someone who has lived here a long time. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 12,625,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

We are also, not as used to severley rainy or nearly constant cloud cover, and that does concern us as well, but may not deter us if that place/culture is right.

It is rainy and overcast as much as nine months of the year. Olympia is very rainy - so is Seattle. Here is a link to show you the rain and cloud cover for Seattle and the previous months/years Seattle Climate Data - Monthly Summary Olympia is only about 60 miles away so the weather will not be that different, though I've heard Olympia has more rain.
Actually Olympia is very wet compared to Seattle (52" vs. 37" -- annual rainfall). Olympia is also more likely to snow than Seattle. According to one MSNBC study, Olympia had more rainy days per year on average over the past 30 years than any city in the lower 48 states. Seattle actually more favorable weather, all due to Seattle's position in the Puget Sound Convergence zone and the mountain shields.

I have to agree with everybody else, Eastern Wa sounds a better fit. I actually do know some folks that like country music, but its not really huge in Western Wa.

OP could try looking in Centralia/Chehalis area. It is more conservative and country-like there. I would also presume the smaller towns in SW WA could work as well.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanks Inkpoe, I thought Olympia had more rain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or