U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Pit of filth
410 posts, read 1,322,567 times
Reputation: 249

Advertisements

So...long story short my Mother asked to move with us to Washington. Forget the 101 reasons why she would be "useful" and all that jazz...this really changes plans for where I would choose to live.

She hates large cities. So can I get some recommendations on smaller towns that have apartments/homes for rent that are near transportation of some sort, hiking, water, trees, etc. AND that have jobs?

I admit I was getting excited about Seattle but she doesn't like it. She saw pictures of Anacortes and liked it. I think she wants a small town that she can walk around and feel safe.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 12,646,436 times
Reputation: 8509
Honesty (and this is just me)... if your mother is that aversed to big cities, then she needs to look into what options that suits her. Your priority is to find a job, find a place, support yourself and a child. Anacortes is not going to provide you the opportunities that Seattle... and even Olympia will provide. And it's going to be much harder on you if you were to do what your mother wants and find a small town.

Its quite easy to walk around in Seattle and feel safe.

But anyways... still the Seattle area is the #1 place that would offer the most jobs. You could try to get a job in Seattle and work far away: Poulsbo, Bainbridge Island (very expensive), Vashon Island, Orting, Steilacoom (public transit, IDK anything about). Edmonds and Normandy Park feels like small towns and has that remoteness to it. However, there isn't really a small town in the Greater Seattle Area that would suit your mom if she likes Anacortes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,922,877 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Honesty (and this is just me)... if your mother is that aversed to big cities, then she needs to look into what options that suits her. Your priority is to find a job, find a place, support yourself and a child. Anacortes is not going to provide you the opportunities that Seattle... and even Olympia will provide. And it's going to be much harder on you if you were to do what your mother wants and find a small town.

Its quite easy to walk around in Seattle and feel safe.

But anyways... still the Seattle area is the #1 place that would offer the most jobs. You could try to get a job in Seattle and work far away: Poulsbo, Bainbridge Island (very expensive), Vashon Island, Orting, Steilacoom (public transit, IDK anything about). Edmonds and Normandy Park feels like small towns and has that remoteness to it. However, there isn't really a small town in the Greater Seattle Area that would suit your mom if she likes Anacortes.
I'm curious...would Kirkland fit the bill? It seems it might fit both needs?

Last edited by Count David; 02-08-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 12,646,436 times
Reputation: 8509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

I'm curious...would Kirkland fit the bill? It seems it might fit both needs?
Kirkland is nothing like Anacortes.

Anacortes has a population of 16,993. Kirkland is 48,556 (and that doesn't even include all of its suburbs, Kingsgate, Finn Hill, Juanita, et. c) Kirkland does have a small waterfront DT area, however... there's just no mistaking... you just know that Kirkland is not a "small" town. Especially come summer, when everyone comes to play in Kirkland DT area. Living close to the Kirkland DT area is quite pricey. The affordable parts of Kirkland are the suburbs... but that doesn't qualify as "small towns". Of course it wouldn't hurt the OP and her mother to check it out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,038,981 times
Reputation: 1564
Anacortes is beautiful, but expensive and a tough job market. I'd still check out Olympia. It is safe and there is water/hikes/trees right in downtown. Percival Landing along the bay and Capitol Lake are very popular walking areas. Watershed Park and Priest Point Park, both near downtown, have nature trails. Tumwater Falls is a nice walk too, and just south of Capitol Lake. If you are dependent on the bus, The Evergreen State College is at the end of the line on the outskirts of town and has miles of forested trails and salt water beaches.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Pit of filth
410 posts, read 1,322,567 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Honesty (and this is just me)... if your mother is that aversed to big cities, then she needs to look into what options that suits her.

You and me both....but I just don't work that way. She listened to me talk to my son about the move (hard to miss in our apartment) and she wants to go. It's not the healthiest of relationships but it is what it is and I can get out as often as I need. My son loves going out or disappears into his legos. Hard to overlook the fact that she will provide daycare for free since I am letting her come.

I don't mind small towns, was looking for something more but have to think about everyone now. At least for a while. To be honest I don't think it will work out for her but she'll stay and make everyone miserable in the process. She has S.A.D and Salt Lake even gets to her sometimes. She thinks she can leave her problems here and move on...you would think that after the last 4 moves she would learn that is not the case. Oh well.....

Kirkland looks nice in pictures but seems a little pricey and "upper class" and if that makes sense. I really don't like having to keep up with the Jones'. Too much of that here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,687 posts, read 3,922,877 times
Reputation: 6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Kirkland is nothing like Anacortes.

Anacortes has a population of 16,993. Kirkland is 48,556 (and that doesn't even include all of its suburbs, Kingsgate, Finn Hill, Juanita, et. c) Kirkland does have a small waterfront DT area, however... there's just no mistaking... you just know that Kirkland is not a "small" town. Especially come summer, when everyone comes to play in Kirkland DT area. Living close to the Kirkland DT area is quite pricey. The affordable parts of Kirkland are the suburbs... but that doesn't qualify as "small towns". Of course it wouldn't hurt the OP and her mother to check it out.
That's why I asked...I was thinking of the downtown area (not factoring in the outlying areas). I know it can get busy...and I believe it in summer. Guess I was just mainly thinking about the boats. I've only been to Anacortes once and didn't stay for long as we were headed for our whale watching tour at Friday Harbor.

Glorious boats, water and whales...I was overjoyed by everything I saw but like I said, I spent no considerable time there. I would actually like to change that so reading everyone's posts here has been very informative. And I like the differing views as well...it's always nice to have all sides considered! Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
 
367 posts, read 781,290 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
So...long story short my Mother asked to move with us to Washington. Forget the 101 reasons why she would be "useful" and all that jazz...this really changes plans for where I would choose to live.

Is mom paying for the move?

Is she paying your expenses?

Is she going to pay for the difference in commuting costs for you to get to your job from where she wants to live vs where you would choose to live?

IMO, you need to move where is best for you, mom might not stay once you're here, and then you're stuck somewhere you didn't really want to be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Pit of filth
410 posts, read 1,322,567 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Is mom paying for the move? Yes and No...she is paying for a moving truck. She offered to do that before she wanted to move with.

Is she paying your expenses? Heck no! She will pay the difference between a 2 bedroom and a 3 bedroom apartment. So, probably about $300 a month. I am covering everything as if she wasn't there. Minus daycare costs now because she will watch him for free.

Is she going to pay for the difference in commuting costs for you to get to your job from where she wants to live vs where you would choose to live? I have to cover all that. I am buying a car as soon as I can but in reality, I would be covering my commuting costs anyways. Just would prefer to use public transit/bike if possible.

IMO, you need to move where is best for you, mom might not stay once you're here, and then you're stuck somewhere you didn't really want to be.
I picked Washington about a year ago. I love what I see and know of it. She asked me today if she could come with us. I just can't say what I would really like to. Like it or not, she is family.
Ugh!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Pit of filth
410 posts, read 1,322,567 times
Reputation: 249
In the end though my mother is 70 this year and won't be around much longer (hopefully...not to offend anyone) and it is a small inconvenience to me. I just need to modify my plans and put up with things for a little longer than I wanted to is all.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top