Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM

326 posts, read 949,396 times

Advertisements

We plan on coming out when we get a break in our work schedules for a scouting trip. We would like to visit Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Anacortes and perhaps some areas in between. Would there be a good spot to base ourselves out of or should we plan on moving accomodations? We'll be looking at locations with a lot of boats/boating or businesses having to do with boating. Also, any recommendations for low cost/clean accomodations? We don't need anything besides a bed, shower and hopefully coffee maker. The less we spend the more we'll have for our (hopeful) relocation. Plus, I'm a bit of a tightwad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM

576 posts, read 2,259,805 times
Port Townsend is more or less centrally located between the other two towns that you mentioned. From Port Townsend you could drive out to Port Angeles (about an hour's drive). Also from Port Townsend you could hop on WSF over to Coupeville (on Whidbey Island) and then drive up Whidbey to Anacortes. Once on Whidbey (at Ebey's Landing) the drive up to Anacortes is also about an hour.

The Port Townsend shipyard should be to your liking, which would be another reason to stay in PT.

Trip Advisor lists the dozen or so hotels and B&B's in Townsend. Pick the one that suits your budget.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Are you going to check out the busier metro areas like Gig Harbor, Ballard Locks, or Kirkland?

Ballard Locks - City Attractions - Virtual Tour - Visiting Seattle - Seattle.gov

Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Thanks Dendrite and Seacove. I appreciate the information. We're going to look at a few smaller communities where there are possibilities of finding work in our field which is boat/yacht repair and maintenance. My husband would also like to visit Westport Shipyards although Westport itself doesn't seem like a place I would like to live, but you never know since I've never been there and it's hard to get a feel for a place without visiting first. The three communities I listed are by no means the only ones that we're considering. Our problem is that so many places look exactly like what we are hoping for. Smallish communities with a lot of involvement and outdoor activities as well as reasonable housing costs. Before getting into boats, my background was primarily in hospitality. I've worked in many hotels/resorts/restaurants and grew up in my parents bar and grill so if I have a hard time finding work doing what I want to do it seems as if there could be a possibility of at least waiting tables or working seasonal jobs during the summer. I have absolutely no doubt that my husband will be able to further his career there even in this down economy. Where we are now, he works 6 or 7 days a week, usually about 10 to 12 hours a day because he's in high demand even though there are 100s of other people who do what he does.
Gig Harbor looks like a place I'd like to investigate a little more. I especially like that it's nickname is The Maritime City. I'm not sure about Kirkland. I think I was there once before, but I'm not sure. I think it may be a little bigger and more expensive than what we're looking for, but I'd not count it out if a job presented itself.
We went to the Ballard Locks the last time we were in Seattle which was almost 2 years ago. It was pretty cool. Locks are always fun.
If you all have any more ideas, I'm open!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Well the Seattle Boat Show just ended last week SeattleBoatShow.com - Your online resource for information, boat listings, services and accessories! but you could do some recon work, contact some of the exhibitors/sponsors to get their recommendations, perhaps talk to retail locations like West Marine as they might would want to recommend your services where there is high demand in some locations more than others. I tend to think in terms of the metro area because we have so many weekend boaters that would be more likely to hire someone to service their boat rather than the more remote locations where they might service their boat themselves.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
I always stay at the Port Townsend Fairgrounds (cheap camping + showers)
http://www.jeffcofairgrounds.com/Jef...mpground_.html

Fort Worden is another option.

I also travel and use public swimming pools for good showers, and 100 or so laps for good exercise after being stuck in a car for a few hours / days. Library is good spot for afternoon naps and weeknight resting. There are several private guest homes / couch surfing in the area. (~$10 - $20 / night). Eat at grocery stores $3/day and use free fryer grease for fuel... makes for cheap trips... CONSIDERABLY cheaper than my $33/day WA property tax bill... The most expensive thing on my budget is STAYING home... (WA Property taxes Used to be $3/day, on the SAME house...)

Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM

541 posts, read 1,729,558 times
Port Townsend can be a little spendy though, so be careful. They have a tourist industry, but they also have a nice little marina and a decent sized docking area with a handful of jobs.

Anacortes is another you might want to consider. While is it further away from Pt. Townsend and Pt. Angeles, it is a nice town with a lot of industry in sea craft. Marina's, docks, etc. There is a lot there, Also close to Deception Pass which should be visited for fun, and also near Oak Harbor and reasonably close to the Coupeville Ferry to Port Townsend.

Port Angeles is a little off the beaten path, and about an hour and 40 minutes from Port Townsend. They have shipping industry there, but I don't know much about their marina.

I'd also consider looking at marine jobs in Everett, Washington. It is the largest marina on the west coast, and would certainly have positions, or room for new businesses to start up. The area is building up their docks district and waterfront.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks for all the input. It's all been very helpful. But now I have to add Everett into my ever growing list of places to explore! That's not a bad thing. It's been great to discover how many opportunities there may be with a little hard work and ambition.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Also, any recommendations for low cost/clean accomodations? ...
If under age 40, Couchsurfing.org is great.

Over age 40 there are some public lists for private guest homes (~$10- $20/night) . Benefit of each, is staying with locals, and getting the 'inside track' and it's great fun... been doing it for 20+ yrs.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If under age 40, Couchsurfing.org is great.

Over age 40 there are some public lists for private guest homes (~$10- $20/night) . Benefit of each, is staying with locals, and getting the 'inside track' and it's great fun... been doing it for 20+ yrs.
Thanks SR-
Husband and I are hovering around 40 (one of us is over and one is under--can you guess which since I didn't say?).
I've used AirBnB before and stayed with some nice folks. It is great to have an insider to point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington