Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington State Residents (honor system, please): Gay Marriage?
I Strongly Support 23 51.11%
I Support 6 13.33%
I’m Neutral 6 13.33%
I Oppose 5 11.11%
I Strongly Oppose 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:34 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times

Advertisements

My comments in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
It already is.

Eh... I'll believe that when I see gays having children.

Did you wake up one day and know you were attracted to women? Seriously. Ask an intelligent question please.

Ok... name one other mammal that has homosexual relationships, then I might believe that being gay is "normal."

Who said I was gay? Funny that it matters to you. That's the difference between tolerant people and bigots. I could care less who you are sleeping with. It's none of my business. Although based upon what I have read, I'm guessing it's Palmela Handerson.

I never said you were gay... I was just asking a question but it wasn't directed at you specifically.

I can tolerate gay marriage just fine, because it doesn't affect me. What does affect me though is when I see gays in public who go out of their way with PDA to show the entire world that they are gay... even worse is when they try to talk to you explaining how great it is to be gay. I've had it happen and get the same feeling I get when I get people knocking on my door with unsolicited church offers. I don't care about your church, if I was interested I would show up and tell you I am interested.

Regarding Palmela Handerson... all I can say is... LOL. Not quite. Poor attempt at an insult IMHO.

Now I am officially done with this thread. I didn't vote for gay marriage and I am not going to win any arguments about it in this thread.

Good luck.. I hope you find happiness!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
I'm imaging there will be alot of gay marriages between couples that aren't deeply committed "just because it can be done". There will be a rush of gay divorces in a few months.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
TRCk11 You earlier said you had a gay roommate that never bothered you. Now it's people are bragging to you about their gayness so much they may as well be door to door solicitors. You have threatened to leave this thread more than anyone has ever told me how great it was to be gay, which is never. It sounds like you are trying too hard to claim an offense.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Nah Seacove... I'm totally fine. Yes I never had a problem with my gay roommate and yes I've had strange public encounters with gays who were quite proud of the fact. A lot? No. Only twice. Not a big deal but it's happened.

As said I'm not going to win any arguments in threads like this. One can look at the poll result and see that... and yes I'm done. Nothing else I need to say although I reserve the right to make rebuttal replies.... LMAO.

Cheers!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Nah Seacove... I'm totally fine. Yes I never had a problem with my gay roommate and yes I've had strange public encounters with gays who were quite proud of the fact. A lot? No. Only twice. Not a big deal but it's happened.

As said I'm not going to win any arguments in threads like this. One can look at the poll result and see that... and yes I'm done. Nothing else I need to say although I reserve the right to make rebuttal replies.... LMAO.

Cheers!
I think the big issue, here, is that your definition of morality and your sense of what is acceptable in public is different. I don't like egregious displays of PDA, gay or straight, period. When I see a couple lovey dovey kissing and making out in public I always say "get a room."

You had asked if being gay was normal naturally. It is. Other mammals have displayed it too. Dogs have. Dolphins have. So have orangutans and chimpanzees, our closest genetic relatives.

What you have to understand is the vast majority of gay people and bi people are born that way. Their brains are wired differently. It is alien to straight folks and thus is strange and some people react with revulsion and disgust, which apparently you do.

I choose to put myself in their shoes. I see that they are a tiny portion of the population, and historically have been treated very poorly. Further, it's not like they can "convert" to heterosexuality (any church group or other group who claims they have is lying and/or forcing the gay folks to act straight).

Me, personally, I would rather have the state out of the marriage business altogether and treats gays and straights the same and call everyone a civil union, with equal rights legally with respect to adoption, divorce, visitation rights, etc. I just think people who are very religious or have strong opinions about this would be much more accepting of these legal definitions rather than established traditional definitions of "marriage" ... let the churches decide who they want to "marry" and keep it personal.

But it is what it is. I'm glad that gay people now have equal legal rights to straight folks and I just look beyond the word "marriage." That's my impression of your argument against gay marriage, it's the semantics. Silly I think but some people get hung up on it, and that's fine, hence why I think it's smarter to call everyone a civil union.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM

You make some good points eskercurve. ^^

I see no argument and agree. Very well said.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
My comments in bold.
It got cut off but you said "Ok... name one other mammal that has homosexual relationships, then I might believe that being gay is "normal.""

Here you go: List of animals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bison[16]
Brown Bear[17]
Brown Rat[18]
Caribou[19]
Cat (domestic)[20]
Cattle (domestic)[21]
Cheetah[22]
Chimpanzee[23][24][25][26]
Common Dolphin[27]
Common Marmoset[28]
Dog[29]
Elephant[30]
Fox[31]
Giraffe[32][3][33]
Goat[16]
Horse (domestic)[34]
Human
Koala[35]
Lion[22]
Orca[27]
Raccoon[36]

1,500 animal species practice homosexuality

Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate

And just to prime your counter-argument:
Can Animals Be Gay? - NYTimes.com

Homosexuality in animals myth - Conservapedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington