U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM

23 posts, read 63,935 times

Advertisements

Hello, thinking of moving to the Spokane area/Coeur d'Alene area or the Lewis/Clark Valley area. I have read much about the Washington State tax rates but still unclear about what vehicle taxes might be there. Presently, I have older vehicles, a '95 truck and a '98 car. They are still excellent vehicles with super low mileage. What would be the yearly licensing for each of these years? Does Washington or Idaho have mandatory emissions testing? Other car taxes involved? Also, what would be the licensing tax for new or newer vehicles? Thanks for all your good info here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 PM

291 posts, read 500,706 times
I was looking it up for myself and found this info. Maybe it will lead you in the direction you are looking for.

Washington Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Changing States, New Vehicle Purchases, Non Operational at DMV.org: The Unofficial DMV Guide

Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM

332 posts, read 560,601 times
Thanks to Melissa since I will move to the State of Washington in two weeks.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM

37 posts, read 55,494 times
Smile wa state license tab renewal

around the $50.00 dollar pre year pre vechicle range and not much more for the 2 vechicle you have pre year.
yet your truck will be more than your car but not buy much..
reason being is in wa state we have to pay an exise tax on the vechicles gross weight.
reason being we the wa state tax payers replied the licensing fees and tonage fees we used to have to pay on pickups/trucks and voted in instead that we would only have to pay flate fee of $33.00 dollars a year to license are vechicles.
this was great because they use to charge you based on the value/year of your vechicle and if you had a truck/pickup it would be higher as you had to pay a tonage fee over and above the licenseing fee.
with the old program it would cost hunders of dollars to license vechicles.
yet the state has found a way to make us pay more than the flat $33.00 dollar rate.
deal is they say we did not replie the gross vechicle weight fee and state fileing. fee
so instead of a flat $33.00 dollars we have to pay state filing fee which if i remember is like $3.00 dollars and an exise tax based on the vechicles over all gross weight.
so this is why your truck will cost slity more than your car as your truck weighs more.
you will have to buy new plate when you move to wa state and it has bin years since i bought new wa plate so i am not sure what they cost.
but you can check wa state dol and it should tell you how much they are.
than they make us replace are plates every 7 years no matter what because they found another loop hole were they say we did not replie a replacement license plate fee.
yes you can keep you old plate number but they will give you new plate with the orgional numbers and charge you an outragous amout to due it.
so for this reason every one i know that has had to buy new plates just gets new plates instead hassling with keeping there old plate number.
next i just licensed my 1996 ranger pickup that i bought here in wa about 6 mounths ago for the first tme since i bought as the tags were due and it cost me like $43.00 as i paied on line and had them mail me my tabs in the mail.
yet you can also pay on line and have your tags sent to the lisencing agent of you choice are pay in person at the licenseing agent of your choie but it cost like another $7.00 dollars are so.
lastly hope this helps you and others.
restless in woodland wa.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Thanks Melissa. That is helpful!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM

Thank you too Woodland, Wa. That was helpful information too! I lived there more than 35 years ago and everyone drove older cars and trucks because it costs a couple $1,000 to license and tag a new vehicle. I didn't remember seeing a newer car all the time growing up in Eastern Washington. So glad it has changed now!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 PM

By the way, I see licenses plates must be changed out every 7 years. But one must renew the vehicle tags every year, correct?

Also, the way I read the link, any vehicle newer than 2009 must have the emissions testing. I would think it would be older vehicles should be tested. May be I am not understanding?

I just want to say that any vehicles within the last 10 years(more!) are so well made now, there is no chance of emitting carbons into the air. These emission testings are rip-off to the general public.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM

599 posts, read 650,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raemarti View Post
Also, the way I read the link, any vehicle newer than 2009 must have the emissions testing. I would think it would be older vehicles should be tested. May be I am not understanding?.
2009 and newer do not require the emissions testing.

Also, I used that site a while back to find out how much it would cost to register my car and everything (registration, taxes, plates, etc.) comes out to about $190 for the first year. I have a 2011 MINI Cooper.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM

That's wonderful to know new cars are affordable to license and tag in Washington State! Eventually, we all need a better car and newer ones are always nice and dependable! Thanks everyone for the great and timely information here!

mrman78, you are talking about Washington State car licensing, right? I see you are in Houston, TX. Thanks.

Last edited by raemarti; 02-19-2012 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: adding more details

Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM

291 posts, read 500,706 times
BTW, WA just passed this. $100 extra a year for electric cars because the state loses gas tax... lame.

Washington State Legislators Pass $100 Electric Vehicle Tax | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington