Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times

Advertisements

I don't think I can take another day of being propositioned, yelled at, or asked if "I'm looking" when dropping off/picking up my son from school.

I want to move now. Having no luck looking for work out of state though. What companies have really high turnover rates in Washington? I would rather have a nice job/career for a change, but I can't take this anymore. Never make it past the cutoff date for Amazon or Boeing and never heard anything from Starbucks. I will do any kind of work (as long as its legal) that will pay the rent. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Gee, operaphantom, I feel really badly for you! Wish I could be of help. Where is this "pit of filth" you live in??? Hope you find something soon!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
I know you've said you're moving here and have 6 months of rent saved or something, but I will tell you that moving here without a job would be a gutsy move. I moved GA to WA last May but it is something I wouldn't have even considered had I not had a formal job offer in writing.

Good luck with the search... did you say you've applied with Amazon and Boeing?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Phantom, I've read your other threads, but I don't recall what jobs you're looking for. I would think it very difficult to find a job long distance with no one-on-one contact with the company.

If you have 6 months of income saved up, why not just take a chance? Do you have someone you can stay with in case it all goes bad. You'll have a heck of a lot better chance getting a job here if you're here. How much money are you allocating per month from your money saved? How much rent are you looking to pay? If it's low enough, you might be able to get by for a few months with a minimally paying job until you find a better one.

Maybe your expectations are too high. Just get your foot in the door with low pay for now, and once you're here you can find something better. Amazon, Boeing, and Starbucks are very highly sought after jobs. If you don't have a lot of experience, you're not going to get a job there. And since you're out of state, you're even less likely to get one unless you're an A++ candidate.

Say what industry you're looking to work in and maybe I can come up with some companies.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times
I know those companies are highly competitive...I only mentioned those because most recommend applying there. I have been applying for everything I can do (retail, food, entry-level, etc). My background is in retail, hospitality, food and my education is in business. I applied for entry level positions everywhere from Aberdeen to Seattle. Heard back from a few with the standard thanks but no thanks email.

As far as moving without a job, if it was just me I would in a heartbeat. But I have a 7 year old to think about. He doesn't handle not knowing where he is going to sleep that night very well (which is understandable). Right now we have downsized because my mother moved into a 1-bedroom apt and we are staying with her while I was in school. Anything larger than a 10X10 room for 2 people would be great. His bed is now in storage along with everything of mine except the computer and my futon mattress (which we both share). I love my kid and could live with anything but this is driving me nuts. I could go as high as $1000 a month rent and have 6 months expenses covered. I know rents are higher than that, but I am hoping to get a job.

The thing is that I am happy doing whatever. I just like working and feeling like I contribute to something. Need a hole dug--I'm there. Need a budget forecast--count me in. I work to live, not the other way around. I love data and would really love to work with numbers, but if not that's fine too. I am too easy going I guess. I have been told more than once that I can't be happy helping others get ahead, but I just don't listen to that. I am who I am and am proud of that.

I would be perfectly happy in the middle of nowhere just going about life. Now don't get me wrong, I put 110% into whatever I do and have never been fired or laid off. I simply move on to new experiences and where people need me. For the first 12 years of my "career" they were all lateral moves. Then I decided I wanted to go experience new things and spent 2 years working seasonal jobs in national parks and resorts. I loved that. Life happened and because I want my son to go to college, I went back to school and for the past 7 years have been in school. I found a ton of volunteer jobs that have kept me busy during this time as well. I may not have worked but my son is happy and healthy and well on his way to being a great little guy. Its time to move on to another experience.

When I look for work locally, I get looked down on because I worked seasonal jobs and because I opted to volunteer and focus on school and family. I also get strange looks when I say that I am really happy helping others get to where they want to be going. I really liked that about being a manager as well--helping my employees progress.

I guess in the end I am feeling pretty worthless right now. A few people on these boards have made that worse, but that is life. I refuse to give up trying to find a better life for my family. I just have more to worry about than I ever did when I moved before. He is opposite of me--not very adventurous. He likes the comfort that routine gives him but he is coming around to seeing the fun in taking the road less traveled.

Sorry for the long rambling...

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
If you have hospitality experience, the Seattle area gears up for summer cruise and tourism season very soon, some of the hotels and conference centers may be hiring at least seasonal help. Restaurants also hire more people for the spring-fall. You'd be competing with all of the college students, though.

Also, check this website regularly for possible public agency jobs you might be able to qualify for:

AWC JobNet - Search Jobs

Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM

You seem like a great person and dad.

I totally understand your frustration. I've been wanting to get out of this area forever and just haven't been able to. Once you finally make a decision to go somewhere, it becomes very hard to stay where you are. And everything you tolerated before now is intolerable.

First of all, you can find a cheaper place to live than $1,000 unless you must live in luxury. Would your son be willing to share a room with you for a while? Since you applied in Aberdeen, that makes me think you're just trying to get your foot in the door somewhere in the vicinity of the Puget Sound. If your main goal is to live close to Seattle, I would start in Tacoma. Rent can be found for cheap there--and not just in the bad areas. I lived in a historic building with bay windows and views of the sound for $500, and at that time (about 2 years ago) the 1 bedrooms there were going for $650 and the 2 bedrooms not much more. There are a lot of places in Tacoma and surrounding cities that go for this. You don't have to spend $1,000 a month for a decent place.

Tacoma is also commutable to Seattle, Seattle suburbs, Olympia, Federal Way, etc. Don't even go there with Aberdeen. I'm not shocked you didn't get a job there because there hardly are any.

Don't feel worthless based on people on here. I'm in a low income bracket, maybe you are too, and I think that allows some flexibility with what we can do. I think it's more difficult for people who have had very stable lives and are in higher income brackets to just pick up and go. So, maybe it would be worth it to you to stretch out your saved money for like 8 months to a year. If you can't find some menial job in 6 to 8 months, then maybe it's a problem with you .

Focus your resume on your work experience and volunteer work, not your education. Lower end jobs aren't going to care much about your master's degree. Then once you get some income coming in you can apply for the jobs you want.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Of course, you're the only one that can make that decision knowing what your circumstances allow. You've probably already looked here, but here's the Washington Worksource website. They have thousands of jobs in Washington listed on there, professional and entry level.

https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/worksource/Employment.aspx

Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I know you've said you're moving here and have 6 months of rent saved or something, but I will tell you that moving here without a job would be a gutsy move. I moved GA to WA last May but it is something I wouldn't have even considered had I not had a formal job offer in writing.

Good luck with the search... did you say you've applied with Amazon and Boeing?
It's a calculated risk if you have savings and a plan and have researched. I'm doing this in exactly two months and sure, it's nerve-wracking, but I'd rather go through it and fail than not try at all. It's really, really unlikely you will fail so bad that you become homeless or living on the streets - I think that's what people always seem to think will happen! Applying for jobs out of state is MUCH harder today. You really have to be there. I've had numerous phone interviews over the years, but nothing much else. I had an in-person interview with Google last week, and they told me to contact them again when I was in town. At least the interest was still there and they didn't just tell me 'we'll get back to you', so I feel I might still have a chance once I move (they are hiring for these positions through June). Companies are just much less willing to deal with you if you are not local unless you are applying for some niche job or are an executive (or just really lucky). So sometimes you have to move to make it happen.

I'm leaving a job many unemployed would kill to have today, so I see it as opening it up for someone else who needs it more than I do. It's decent money, but not really a 'great' job. It's my first job out of college and I've been there six and a half years and now I've reached a roadblock. For me, my reasons are more location-based anyway, it just happens my job is at a dead-end as well, so it makes sense to move now. I'm not happy living in Houston - it basically defies everything that I enjoy to do in my spare time. What's the point in living somewhere if you can't enjoy it? I'd rather be somewhere I like making peanuts, than somewhere I hate making lots of money. I don't think people realise how important location is sometimes. Being single has its benefits too!

In the OP's case, he has a son to worry about. I would definitely be a lot more weary of doing this if I had any one else other than myself to worry about. I feel lucky and blessed that I am able to do this and absolutely refuse to just sit still and do nothing (and have life pass me by) because I'm too scared to take the plunge...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Applying for jobs out of state is MUCH harder today. You really have to be there. Companies are just much less willing to deal with you if you are not local unless you are applying for some niche job or are an executive (or just really lucky).

I'm not happy living in Houston - it basically defies everything that I enjoy to do in my spare time. What's the point in living somewhere if you can't enjoy it? I'd rather be somewhere I like making peanuts, than somewhere I hate making lots of money.
I guess I got lucky then because I did all the paperwork, drug tests, background checks and phone interviews from GA. Got the job offer (pending background results) and started the cross country drive. I was in Montana when the background came back... no point in waiting when I knew it would be ok.

I agree about being happy where you live. That's what I like about the PNW ... it's a beautiful place to live with lots to do outside... and I have a good job that has me living comfortably.

I hope the move works out as good for the both of you as it has for me. Cheers!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 AM

Oh gosh! I'm really sorry. Someone sent me a message notifying me that you're a mom, not a dad. I guess my brain just categorized you automatically as a male...who knows what it was thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington