Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaib13 View Post
Hello!

My fiancé and I are looking for the perfect little town to move and build a home, and I have no clue where to begin. I’m an avid television watcher, and I love the small towns from shows like Gilmore Girls and Ghost Whisperer. All the lovely little shops and restaurants around the town square and its gazebo, it’s just so beautiful and homey.

My fiancé loves snow, so anyplace that gets a decent layer in the winter is great. Anywhere near the mountains or a hill, etc, would be wonderful, because I'd love a sweeping view. We’d like to purchase a decent sized chunk, a few acres at least, preferably with a good percentage of it forested. (We're basically looking to live just outside of town.)

Is there anywhere out there like this in the Washington area?
Wenatchee itself, and all environs immediately to the east and south isn't green or forested at all, it's more like desert and/or plains. You might be able to find something a bit west of there, but it doesn't get more properly green until about Leavenworth (might check there, but it is VERY touristy). Going north, between Wenatchee or Orondo isn't green either. Wenatchee is also not a small town IMO.

Colville, Chewelah, and Newport are worth checking out -- all three towns are depressed jobs-wise (not sure if this is even a consideration for you), but IMO all three fit the bill otherwise.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,809,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerideaf View Post
Camas is next to a bigger city of Vancouver, WA so it could not meet to the OP's request.
I'm not sure what you mean in regards to this. Camas is a separate town from Vancouver, with a population of less than 20K. It is small, does have a downtown core that's almost evocative of what you see in the Ghost Whisper (though the town center in GH is huge)... with all the brick work, it being the life and center of the town. It's right next to a river and the streets in the town is tree-lined. Lots of history. There is a hill that lots of residents do live on, with a sweeping view of the Columbia River. Plus... and this is key to why I mentioned it: She mentions that she wants to visit relatives in Portland. The only "issues" (where it doesn't meet the OP's request) would be the snow cover (it being more like Seattle/Portland) and the house/land. I don't know if by the time she's ready to buy if there'll be enough to look over (and if there is, it'll probably be by Lacamas Lake)... or if she has to look over to Washougal which is an even smaller more rural town next to Camas (away from Vancouver). Washougal does fit what she's looking for, but lacks the town center like Camas.

Vancouver itself can scarcely call itself a "Big City". Though it is one of Washington's big population centers, there is hardly any city feel to it at all. If the Vancouver resident is looking for a "Big City" fix, they have to go to Portland... or if they're "crazy", they can go to Seattle. It is as mentioned above... Suburban sprawl. Vancouver does have a DT core... but it leaves me very unimpressed-- I do not like the layout and it seems to be no real civil thought in the planning of the core. The only thing nice about it is the Esther Park which has cleaned up the last few years. Make no mistake... Vancouver is simply a Portland suburb. There are some benefits to living in a place like Vancouver, you can easily drive over to Portland for the big city fix, airport, plus do tax-free shopping.

Of course, I just thought it might be something for the OP to look over and consider.

Quote:
Hello!

My fiancé and I are looking for the perfect little town to move and build a home, and I have no clue where to begin. I’m an avid television watcher, and I love the small towns from shows like Gilmore Girls and Ghost Whisperer. All the lovely little shops and restaurants around the town square and its gazebo, it’s just so beautiful and homey.

My fiancé loves snow, so anyplace that gets a decent layer in the winter is great. Anywhere near the mountains or a hill, etc, would be wonderful, because I'd love a sweeping view. We’d like to purchase a decent sized chunk, a few acres at least, preferably with a good percentage of it forested. (We're basically looking to live just outside of town.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM

526 posts, read 895,283 times
Eatonville --- love that town (and surrounding areas)

Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,792,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Wenatchee itself, and all environs immediately to the east and south isn't green or forested at all, it's more like desert and/or plains. You might be able to find something a bit west of there, but it doesn't get more properly green until about Leavenworth
Just outside of Cashmere is highway 97 over Blewett Pass linking highway 2 with I-90, which is surrounded by beautiful green forest on either side. Been camping in areas along there before, very nice indeed! Of course its not like that right in town, but it's not very far at all to get there from either Wenatchee or Cashmere.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM

879 posts, read 1,720,210 times
Are you independently wealthy or do you have to work? That, in and of itself, will dictate which towns will work, and which won't.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 PM

279 posts, read 587,675 times
Quote:
Hello!

Lynden, Bellingham, and Anacortes are all places in WA I'd call home. There is a big climate and cultural difference between Eastern and Western Washington.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Anacortes! Why do I always seem to forget about it? Oak Harbor too. Both great places!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 PM

Or Langley or Coupeville! Friday Harbor and Eastsound while we're at it, too!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Actually, if OP could afford it and wouldn't mind doing the ferry when needed, Eastsound would probably be right up their alley! It is a beautiful little town and Mt. Constitution is right there. The people have always been friendly every time I've been there, though I understand that living there means having all your neighbors in your business lol. Both good and bad though I guess. If they don't want to be right in town there are many other places to choose from that are also very nice just outside of town, as well as other little towns and hamlets on the island if they so desire.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 PM

56 posts, read 142,592 times
I just bought a house in Duvall, WA due to its small town charm while still being close to shopping and cities (like Redmond, Bellevue, etc). Great view of valley, river, and/or mountains, and you can find affordable homes with larger lots and acreage. There's a cute "downtown" area with little antique shops and restaurants, and the school district is great. I'm not even the type of person who likes living in a more rural area (I'm very urban) but I fell in love with Duvall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington