U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 PM

13 posts, read 43,294 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the smoking laws are for Washington and specifically Clark County and Vancouver? We currently live in California and you basically cannot smoke anywhere in public.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM

79 posts, read 258,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodozer View Post
Just wondering what the smoking laws are for Washington and specifically Clark County and Vancouver? We currently live in California and you basically cannot smoke anywhere in public.
Same in WA, actually, I think it's even more restrictive than California. Socially, nothing will make you a pariah quicker in WA state than lighting up in public.

At midnight tonight, state smoking ban takes effect (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/251121_smoking07.html - broken link)

If you want to live somewhere where smoking is still an accepted lifestyle, really the only places left are those states that grow tobacco.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:12 AM

1,677 posts, read 4,226,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometricdisaster View Post
Same in WA, actually, I think it's even more restrictive than California. Socially, nothing will make you a pariah quicker in WA state than lighting up in public.

At midnight tonight, state smoking ban takes effect (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/251121_smoking07.html - broken link)

If you want to live somewhere where smoking is still an accepted lifestyle, really the only places left are those states that grow tobacco.
I find this interesting, as someone coming from CA, I'm astounded by the number of people who smoke in WA. Seems like the moment people walk out of the grocery store they're lighting up. You can't leave a building without walking through a cloud of smoke.

V. =)

Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 AM

403 posts, read 1,024,587 times
That is true!! However, you shouldn't have to walk through a cloud of smoke, as the smoking is restricted to a minimum of 25 feet from the store entrance....... if anyone were to enforce it!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,214,230 times
We've also been a little surprised by how many smokers we see in WA. It's nearly as bad here as in FL, where we used to live. I don't think many pay attention to the restrictions around store entrances.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:15 AM

117 posts, read 407,602 times
Smokers - Do you ever wonder why that warning is on the side of every pack of cigs?
Have you smokers ever figured out how much you spend a year on giving yourself a sickness?
Here in WA a pack from what I read costs between three and four dollars!! Before I quit I smoked at least a pack per day!
I quit 3/14/90 4:20 P.M. but who is keeping track?
If you want clues to stoping I can tell you what worked for me.
signed - ex and glad

Old 09-12-2007, 03:02 PM

309 posts, read 1,016,773 times
That makes me really happy to hear that the smoking laws are strict. If your preggers it practically becomes a full time job avoiding things that can hurt baby. Anything that helps remove toxins from the immediate environment is great.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 43,294 times
Default Response

Well that surprises me a little. There are a few posts here and there that are always talking about ALL the Washington smokers.

I am glad that at least there is a law in effect. I thought maybe there wasn't and I was going to have to get used to to secondhand smoke in the non-smoking section again. Everytime we go visit family in Oregon or Arizona it bugs me.

Yeah!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:16 AM

79 posts, read 258,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodozer View Post
Well that surprises me a little. There are a few posts here and there that are always talking about ALL the Washington smokers.

I am glad that at least there is a law in effect. I thought maybe there wasn't and I was going to have to get used to to secondhand smoke in the non-smoking section again. Everytime we go visit family in Oregon or Arizona it bugs me.

Yeah!!!
Then you will love it here!

These people complaining just shop at the wrong grocery stores.

Although, the more rural the place, the more smokers you see. The laws, at least, are nominally in effect statewide. Now, seeing them enforced is less a matter of police intervention and more a matter of social peer pressure.

Practice your fake coughing skills and scowl a lot and you'll get 'em to put the butts out.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:17 PM

131 posts, read 18,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earls View Post
Smokers - Do you ever wonder why that warning is on the side of every pack of cigs?
Have you smokers ever figured out how much you spend a year on giving yourself a sickness?
Here in WA a pack from what I read costs between three and four dollars!! Before I quit I smoked at least a pack per day!
I quit 3/14/90 4:20 P.M. but who is keeping track?
If you want clues to stoping I can tell you what worked for me.
signed - ex and glad
So......how did you quit-I think about it alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington