U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM

410 posts, read 673,347 times

Advertisements

OK...so I wanted to look for work but that is a bust now that my son is coming along.

Is it best to reserve a hotel room ahead of time? There are so many hotels here that its not really necessary.

Here is my plan...sort of:
Monday--Olympia
Tuesday--Port Angeles area
Wednesday--Seattle
Thursday--Seattle
Friday--Bellingham

He wants to take the ferry and see as much as possible. I want to spend as little as possible...lol

I still would love to look for work/apartment. I got my deposit back from the townhouse. Listened to the advice given here AND saw that it would take over an hour on public transportation to get to downtown Seattle and changed my mind. I really would love to just find a little shop somewhere and get a job. I would love to learn a new skill though. But...that is another problem (no one really wants to teach an old dog new tricks).

Anyways, the reason I am including the PA area is that I want my son to see what fun a small town can be. He saw a few pics and is excited. He also saw a few pics of Lynden and wants to go there (not sure if we will or not). He doesn't know what he wants in his life expect he has declared he will be a "world famous architect".
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM

824 posts, read 1,641,123 times
Even though it will complicate things, I think bringing your son along is a great idea. If you can get him excited about the move, that support will make the move that much easier for both of you. I still think, though, that you could look for employment even with him there.

How long do you plan on staying? The only thing I might cut out on your trip is Bellingham. Unless you're seriously considering living there, it's really out of the way and may just complicate your trip.

Your son will love the ferry. Since you're going to Port Angeles, I suggest you stop in Bremerton and ride as a pedestrian to Seattle. There's plenty to do right off the ferry and it gives you a scenic route for about 45 minutes. I think it only costs like $6 or $7 a person roundtrip.

I don't think reserving a hotel is necessary. You might want to just check prices beforehand so you have an idea of where you want to stay. But there are enough hotels where I don't think you'll have any problems getting a room.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Even though it will complicate things, I think bringing your son along is a great idea. If you can get him excited about the move, that support will make the move that much easier for both of you. I still think, though, that you could look for employment even with him there.

How long do you plan on staying? The only thing I might cut out on your trip is Bellingham. Unless you're seriously considering living there, it's really out of the way and may just complicate your trip.

Your son will love the ferry. Since you're going to Port Angeles, I suggest you stop in Bremerton and ride as a pedestrian to Seattle. There's plenty to do right off the ferry and it gives you a scenic route for about 45 minutes. I think it only costs like $6 or $7 a person roundtrip.

I don't think reserving a hotel is necessary. You might want to just check prices beforehand so you have an idea of where you want to stay. But there are enough hotels where I don't think you'll have any problems getting a room.

We will be there from April 2nd through 6/7th (open on leaving date) unless I can find an apartment and a job lead. Then we'll be staying.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM

37 posts, read 55,107 times
hi i am not sure what type of work your looking for.
how ever i can tell you that there seems to be a high demand for care givers in the state of wa.
buy this i mean there is a demand for people to take care of indavigails in there homes.
this can range from house cleaning/cooking up to as far as helping the person bath toilet and even change adult diapers.
you do not need to be a cna are a nurses degree to due this job yet you do have to go to classs and get cerified buy the state.
i know this as i am on a program throught the state of wa called copps and i have a full time in home care giver.
next you can go through agencies that hire care givers are you can be an ip which is an independant care giver and if your an ip the stae of wa pays you derectly.
so if you know any one in wa that needs a care giver you can apply to be there care giver farely easy and again care givers are in high demand in wa state at present.
restless in woodland

Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM

3,077 posts, read 2,429,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Here is my plan...sort of:
Monday--Olympia
Tuesday--Port Angeles area
Wednesday--Seattle
Thursday--Seattle
Friday--Bellingham
I would still suggest going straight to Seattle and taking the ferry to Bainbridge, maybe checking out Olympia one day but being new to the state, you'll want to check things out. It's good that you're bringing your son and who knows, you might get more done in a week than you expected. Seattle dazzles, no doubt about that but if you're looking toward the dull and practical, things like an address (even if it's a Red Lion) so you can get a drivers license and start applying for jobs, getting a PO Box, etc. can go pretty quickly. I say Red Lion because it's right there in Bellevue, just off 405 and in a really good centralized location, but there are probably cheaper places too.

Are you still planning on the bus or did you decide to fly?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,209,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
The only thing I might cut out on your trip is Bellingham. Unless you're seriously considering living there, it's really out of the way and may just complicate your trip.
Hardly. Don't miss Bellingham, it's a gem.

You do realize that Bellingham takes about the same time as from Seattle to Olympia? The 70 MPH limit, rush hour taken into consideration, they are both about the same.

Chuckanut Drive is well worth the trip alone. Boulevard Park is not to be missed. Squalicum Harbor and of course Fairhaven as well.

In fact in the same day you can drive to Deception Pass. Walk across the bridge. You will NEVER forget the experience. And time permitting, check out LaConner. Wonderful little village with shops and restaurants galore.

And come to think of it, your timing is great, the Skagit Tulip Festival may well be on when you get here. It can be amazing. Stop at the Snow Goose for Ice Cream

While you are in Port Angeles, be sure to see Hurricane Ridge. not sure if it is open yet, but it is stunning.

If I were going to Port Angeles, I would plan a side trip to Port Townsend. AWESOME town.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Are you still planning on the bus or did you decide to fly?

We are taking the bus. He's never been out of the state so this will be good for him. We'll be between Boise,Id and Pendleton,Or at sunset...get into Portland at 5am then have a 1 hour layover. That route will take us to Olympia first. If I went to Seattle first then we would have to go to Montana then back to Washington with 3 transfers and a 6 hour layover. This is also his first long bus ride. It will be interesting to see how it goes. At least it will be better than my first long ride (Utah to Florida through central Texas--swear I saw the same cactus for 2 days...lol)

I have been told not to get a PO Box because employers will automatically trash your resume. I've even seen some applications that state they will not accept a PO Box. If we really like the place I am going to try to find a place to live and hopefully hit up some temp jobs until I find something permanent. I know though when I moved to Maine the temp companies wouldn't touch me until I had a local employment reference.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 PM

14,796 posts, read 18,109,914 times
While you are here I'll be in Las Vegas at a business conference. The tourist season doesn't really get going until May-June so there should be no problem getting a hotel. I noticed this morning that the Macy's at Westlake Center has a "Now Hiring" sign. Some of the small shops around the Pike Place Market area may also be adding staff in the next month or two getting ready for the tourists and cruise passengers. On the way to PA check out Sequim, it is an even smaller town but has become very popular with the retirees, and has added new businesses recently so there could be jobs available. Most will be semi-medical retirement home related.

I bet you would enjoy working at Sunny Farms, but they are not likely to have openings very often.

Sunny Farms Country Store

Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 PM

3,077 posts, read 2,429,897 times
Interesting about the PO Boxes, I hadn't heard that but I can see it. I think you have a good chance of getting a job in local retail while you're here if you can get a local ID.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,553,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post

Anyways, the reason I am including the PA area is that I want my son to see what fun a small town can be.
Check out Port Townsend. It is the cool "small" town in that area. I would have taken the ferry from Port Townsend to Whidbey Island and then up to Bellingham (visiting Deception Pass, the driving loop in Washington Park in Anacortes, La Conner, tulips?, & Chuckanut Drive on the way), doing Seattle last.

For Olympia some of the things to check out are the Capitol, Percival Landing (waterfront), Children's Museum, and Tumwater Falls, all in or near downtown. There is a free bus service (DART) that links the Capitol Campus up on the hill with downtown and the Farmer's Market (closed on Monday). Tumwater Falls is located at the south end of Capitol Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington