U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 AM

13 posts, read 24,178 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I currently live in Northern California, by Redding, and I've got a job offer for Tacoma Washington. What is the weather like? How hard is it for someone from California to get along with people there? Im orignally from Minnesota, then in Colorado, and now California.

As far as weather goes, im ok with rain, though according to your Tacoma page it says you get almost 7'' of snow in January, does it really snow there, and is it a problem? I lived in Colorado and Minnesota so I can handle snow, my question is, is there egnough snow in Tacoma where a 4x4 vehicle is needed? Where would be a good neighborhood for a mid 40s guy? My children are grown now, but im not old yet, certianly not ready for out in the middle of nowhere living.

I still like a night life. As for outdoors I love fishing, and nice day hikes no rock climbing though cant do that anymore Anyways any more info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 AM

236 posts, read 542,641 times
People in Tacoma are pretty friendly. It doesn't snow much here. When it does things can get dicey due to the hills. The city does a good job of clearing the main roads but doesn't touch the side streets. A 4x4 isn't really needed but it can be nice to have when it does snow, when on wet hills or if you go to the mountains.

If you like more of active urban lifestyle I would live in Downtown Tacoma/Stadium District. If you want more of a neighborhood feel try North Tacoma or the West End.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the reply, I plan to spend a weekend in Tacoma to get a better feel for the neighborhood. So far Ive got Auburn and Puyallup in mind hows Kent or Covington? Dont want to get too far out of Tacoma though. Im already guessing I wont be able to afford living on the islands. But from what Ive heard so far from freinds, and locals from Washington that I will like it up there.

I would like to stay in Redding California, but my job will be taking me to Washington, got to go where the job is at. Im guessing there will be even more rain there, but my solution is an umbrella and rain boots, so long as the yard doesnt turn into a swimming pool lol.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 AM

5,577 posts, read 6,483,594 times
Haha... Umbrellas are dead giveaways you're a transplant.

It really depends on what exactly you're looking for. Auburn is too small and rural for a lot of people. Puyallup is an ugly, bland, sprawly place with some bad traffic for a lot of people. But they both could work as they have some nice affordable (and new-ish) homes. You can also look into University Place which would be closer to Tacoma than those 2. Kent has some bad areas... better to stay towards the east (highlands), Covington is a complete suburb with lots of trees around. If you're willing to look this far, also include Federal Way and Des Moines.

It could be possible to live on the island-- but I wouldn't want to. Its hard enough to live by the ferry schedule. But Vashon Island is a pretty funky, hippy place.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the info looking forward to the trip to Washington as Ive never been up that far,Ive been to Oregon but not Washington.I might not be coming up at the best time of the year, but I think this week will give me a more honest look as to what its going to be like. I changed it to week because instead of the weekend as they are giving me a week stay at a hotel. Im sure a week still isnt egnough, but atleast it will give me more time to look, Id really like to see Seattle. As far as umbrellas what else would you suggest would a raincoat be an overkill?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 AM

406 posts, read 576,138 times
Just go to REI , westcoast... Get a fleece, a hat, A Gore-Tex waterproof jacket comes in handy.. Heck, I just go around in my leather jacket and a cap. Rain jackets are not overkill.. There is downpours, but they last for like 1 min then back to perpetual drizzle.

Yeah, don't bring an umbrella, people will think you're a wimp.. You're suppose to get a little wet.

Let me know how you like Tacoma, once upon a time called Ta-Compton.. Yeah, I hear its getting nicer there, but still has the highest crime rate of any city in the Pac NW, although I bet Gresham, OR will surpass it soon. Maybe Tacoma will turn into the next Pearl District, like in Portland, which went from rags to riches.

I'd be interested to hear your experience.. I may be relocating to the Sea-Tac area too.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 AM

824 posts, read 1,617,950 times
Ink and Mystical are right...don't use an umbrella unless you plan on people chuckling at you and pointing as you walk by . A raincoat, though, is not necessary. Don't look like this guy:

Very seldom do you have the torrential downpours you see elsewhere. We have the constant drizzle that can be easily dealt with using a light rain fly jacket, fleece...well, really anything else. You get so used to the light rain and accompanying dampness so that being wet, dry, drenched, or matted doesn't really matter.

I second the idea to live downtown Tacoma/Stadium District. The area has really improved in recent years and is still affordable. If you're looking for an urban feel, that's where I would live. I personally severely dislike Auburn and Puyallup, but others say they're ok. If you wanted to be more suburban, I would opt for north Tacoma and University District. When you say island, do you mean Gig Harbor and out that way? The areas can be surprisingly affordable and with the new bridge traffic is easy, though you would pay a bridge toll into Tacoma. I wouldn't want to live on Vashon and have to rely on the ferry schedule.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM

598 posts, read 422,037 times
There is usually about a week of winter where you wish you had a 4x4. The one thing about rain is that it melts snow pretty quickly. The precipitation is fairly constant during the winter but it won't cause you to melt (but maybe grow a bit moldy).
I'm not a fan of Tacoma but we all have our opinions. If I had to work there, I would look at University Place, Steilacoom, Gig Harbor or maybe Dupont. Of course, I live in Olympia and have had a few friends move up to Tacoma proper and commute to Oly for work simply because they loved Tacoma.
I agree with the previous post about Puyallup - way too much traffic and sprawl.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:58 AM

Thanks again everyone for the input. As far as islands my neighbor talks about fox island, vashion island like you need a 6 figure income to live there, but he hasnt lived in Washington for 30 years now. So times have changed I would imagine.But I will defanatly keep University Place and Gig Harbor in mind. Though this neighbor of mine highly recommends Auburn again perhaps things have changed in 30 years. Hope Im not throwing too much info but my mother lives in Spokane, Im looking forward to living closer by, as well my daughter lives in Lynden Washington now, she says its walking distance to the Canadian border, so again Iam looking forward to living in Washington.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM

8,301 posts, read 14,699,835 times
While there are some bad areas in Tacoma, there are also some really nice areas that have been nice for a long time. For a 40 something without public school kids, I think the Proctor District could be a good fit. Safe area, farmer's market, places to walk and dine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington