U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM

84 posts, read 90,366 times
Default Going to Vancouver From Seattle

I'm moving to Seattle in August 2012. But we're visiting in June. I used to go to Canada all the time from the Detroit bridge to Canada when I had family up there and the border patrol people on that side of the country have become more strict since 9/11. I'm just wondering how much more strict, if at all, the people on the Vancouver side of the border are.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,993,835 times
Strict about what? You'll absolutely need passports.

They pulled us over last weekend because I had Canadian fruit in the car. We had to go into the customs building and there was a long line of people with foreign passports waiting clearance.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM

84 posts, read 90,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Strict about what? You'll absolutely need passports.

They pulled us over last weekend because I had Canadian fruit in the car. We had to go into the customs building and there was a long line of people with foreign passports waiting clearance.
Strict about letting people in/out. Which you answered. I already knew you needed a passport. The last time we went to Canada for a funeral they almost didn't let us in from the Detroit side because my sister is half korean (so she didn't look like my mom and i).

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,048,835 times
The border crossing is a pain in the ass. Royally. It used to be free and easy going in and tougher coming home. Now the Canadians are being prickly too.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM

591 posts, read 598,440 times
I heard it is easier to just take the train to Vancouver nowadays...

Old 03-29-2012, 05:43 PM

3,973 posts, read 6,951,317 times
Historically, it has not always been easy. Circa 1972, we could not enter B.C. from Washington because we couldn't prove our dachshund had the proper shots.

When I moved from Anchorage, Alaska back to the lower 48 in 1998, I was stopped and my car was searched at the Alaska/Canada border.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:41 PM

8,133 posts, read 14,040,209 times
Sometimes it makes sense to not use the main border crossing at Blaine, but to use either the nearby truck/car crossing or the border at Sumas. They're far less crowded. And when they ask "what is the nature of your visit?" don't be a wise guy and say things like" I'm going to Canada to sell heroin" or "I'm planning on blowing up a few government buildings", don't mutter things like " Death to America" but rather say " Just going to sample some of that fine Canadian cuisine" or make it sound dreadfully dull " Going to the software code writers association annual meeting" or " Going to the stamp collectors show."

Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,048,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Sometimes it makes sense to not use the main border crossing at Blaine, but to use either the nearby truck/car crossing or the border at Sumas. "
Generally speaking. yes. But then again, no. I crossed there routinely the past few years and there are a few Hitleresque agents there.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM

13,666 posts, read 15,649,832 times
It just takes time. We went last summer and it took 15 minutes to get into Canada, close to an hour coming back. With passports there was no hassle, just a long line of cars waiting.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,123,982 times
Weird.

I went to Canada with my Moroccan friend last year and it was smooth as silk going to Canada. Guy almost didn't look at our passports. Coming back felt like re-entering the Empire. My beat up old passport didn't help either.

Of course, had HE been driving, it might have been a different story. I don't know if they're prejudiced oh wait I mean ... "focusing on persons of 'interest' " , ... because you know ALL Arab guys are suicide bombers. Us white folks are as truthful and innocent as apple pie right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington