U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 PM

19 posts, read 18,797 times
Default Any Japanese influenced towns?

Hi there, I really love Japanese culture, and I just wondered if there were any places in WA that had any influences of such. Architecture, historical farms, immigrant communities, restaurants....

I'm not interested in big metro areas really - such as the Seattle International district. Actually, I'm more in to moderately sized towns (small cities?).

I'm also looking around Oregon too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 PM

396 posts, read 417,367 times
Bellevue could work, but it's probably too big.

Closest thing I can think of that meets your criteria is Bellingham, WA. It has a decent amount of Japanese restaurants and it's only several hours from Vancouver, BC, which has a sizable Japanese community.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM

19 posts, read 18,797 times
Whew, up North aye? hope its not toooo cold...

Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM

224 posts, read 243,632 times
Japanese Cultural Center of Washington

Uwajimaya

**Welcome to UwajimayaVillage.com**

Seattle University - Student Activities - Japanese Student Association

Consulate-General of Japan in Seattle

see if these might have the information you're looking for....have you considered Japan? Sorry to say that so plainly.. Yet after WWII, I think most Japanese/Japanese Americans have assimilated into the american culture. Yet, keeping alive the tranditions they held dear.

Historical Overview: Japanese Americans

Center for the Study of the Pacific Northwest

Japanese-American Courier

Old 05-19-2014, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 459 times
Default Japanese History in Seattle area

[FONT=&quot]Many towns in the Seattle area had large populations until the Japanese internment during WWII. For instance, Auburn, WA was something like 30% Japanese farmers until then. Various cultural influences remain, though much of that influence has waned over the years, but some still remains. There were successful Japanese farmers in many river valleys and on islands, many of whom were in the 3rd generation by the internment (and they considered themselves American, though usually retaining a strong Japanese cultural identity). More info is available in Resources (below).

Most of the original families came from extremely poor backgrounds in Japan. The immigrants often followed the typical American model of living in extreme poverty for at least a few years after immigrating, but were able through hard work to establish their own farms. For a long time, due to prejudice against "Orientals" on the West Coast and in America in general, they were not allowed to own their own land. Many still didn't by the internment, and even the ones who did often lost their land due to not being able to pay taxes while imprisoned within what were essentially concentration camps (treatment was not as bad as the Jews under the Nazis, but still quite horrible considering American principles and its history of being "built" by immigrants). Many Japanese-American men of the second generation (Nisei) and third generation (Sansei) were "allowed" (some were given little choice) to leave the internment camps in order to join the military, and fought honorably in the European theater (I worked for one of these veterans in my teens).

After the internment ended most did not return to their homes, for various reasons. However, there were some who did, and their successful farms were sources of employment for many (predominantly Caucasian) teenagers into the early 1980s, including myself. When the Puget Sound region experienced rapid growth and real estate values soared, many sold the farms, often for the building of new homes, and retired. In my experience at that time, the younger generation had almost completely assimilated into the mainstream American culture, and had little interest in farming.

Resources:
- History (Washington State) of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Japanese immigration to the Puget Sound Region[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [URL]http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=300[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - History (Washington State) of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Japanese Americans in Seattle and King County[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [URL]http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=231[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - History (Washington State) of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Japanese Farming[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [URL]http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=298[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - History (United States) of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Oriental Exclusion Act (United States) (1924)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [URL]http://northamericanimmigration.org/223-oriental-exclusion-act-united-states-1924.html[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - History (Washington State) of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]White Supremacy and the Alien Land Laws of Washington State[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [URL]http://depts.washington.edu/civilr/alien_land_laws.htm[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - Article [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Nisei served in U.S. Army Air Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Merchant Marines during World War[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]within the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]JAVA ADVOCATE[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Fall 2012, Volume XX—Issue 3 (pub. by the Japanese American Veterans Association) [URL]http://javadc.org/media/document/java-advocate/JAVA-Advocate-Fall-2012.pdf[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- White River Buddhist Temple in Auburn, WA, founded by Japanese-American immigrant families, [URL]http://www.whiteriverbuddhisttmpl.org/[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- If you are in the Auburn, WA area, visit the White River Valley History Museum (see web site [URL]http://www.wrvmuseum.org/[/URL]; unfortunately the book references, even to the ones they used to be involved in publishing, seem to be gone).[/FONT]

Last edited by Ross-JK; 05-19-2014 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM

191 posts, read 131,589 times
Default why not?

why not just marry or take a japanese boyfriend? travel to japan and find out what their culture is really like. I've known plenty of japanese mixes who didn't prefer their japanese cultural side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasRaisedGal View Post
Hi there, I really love Japanese culture, and I just wondered if there were any places in WA that had any influences of such. Architecture, historical farms, immigrant communities, restaurants....

I'm not interested in big metro areas really - such as the Seattle International district. Actually, I'm more in to moderately sized towns (small cities?).

Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 AM

261 posts, read 107,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasRaisedGal View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington