U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM

21 posts, read 22,693 times

Advertisements

Hello all. For background: My wife and I are taking a couple weeks off work in June and flying into Vancouver to start our road trip. From there, we will be driving down the coast to So. California to visit family (stopping in Seattle, Portland, and as many sites as we can pack in). We are from the New York City area, thus we are city-slickers...I guess. We definitely want to see the beautiful nature that the Pacific Northeast has to offer, however we don't want to camp or anything like that.

This being said...since we will be staying in Vancouver for 2 days, can anyone recommend any cool attractions, great restaurants/bars to go to, neighborhoods to check out etc? We are pretty open-minded people so any recommendations would be appreciated. We like getting the local vibe of places we visit.

I know this is a Vancouver board, but if anyone has any recommendations for the "must do" things in Seattle and Portland (ie rock clubs, restaurants etc), that would be awesome!! Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,593,843 times
"Flying into Vancouver"? You mean, you're flying into Portland?

(I'm not sure if you realize this is Vancouver, WA-- a Portland, OR suburb-- forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycage View Post
Hello all. For background: My wife and I are taking a couple weeks off work in June and flying into Vancouver to start our road trip. From there, we will be driving down the coast to So. California to visit family (stopping in Seattle, Portland, and as many sites as we can pack in). We are from the New York City area, thus we are city-slickers...I guess. We definitely want to see the beautiful nature that the Pacific Northeast has to offer, however we don't want to camp or anything like that.

This being said...since we will be staying in Vancouver for 2 days, can anyone recommend any cool attractions, great restaurants/bars to go to, neighborhoods to check out etc? We are pretty open-minded people so any recommendations would be appreciated. We like getting the local vibe of places we visit.

I know this is a Vancouver board, but if anyone has any recommendations for the "must do" things in Seattle and Portland (ie rock clubs, restaurants etc), that would be awesome!! Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM

You are right...sorry about that.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,593,843 times
I am totally assuming that you meant Vancouver BC... but since it would be easier (and cheaper) to rent a car stateside... why don't you look into taking the Amtrak from BC to Seattle (it goes right into Downtown)... and maybe even Portland? Its very scenic.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,356,809 times
Either way, Seattle deserves a couple of days.

Seattle in 2 days, WA - AOL Travel

Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,211,499 times
Chuckanut Drive (Along the cliffs between Bellingham and Burlington, overlooking the San Juan Islands. Breathtaking Scenery) is a must on your way from Vancouver to Seattle. A side trip to Deception Pass is well worth the extra 90 minutes it will take in total. and if you go, you MUST walk the bridge. It's a religious experience.

While you're in Seattle, I'm sure you have been told about the Pike Place Market. That is a no brainer. Every NY'er I have taken there has LOVED it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 AM

824 posts, read 1,642,571 times
What a fun trip! My brother and I drove down from Portland to southern California on the coast and it was a blast. We camped, though. June is a great time to go along the coast because you don't have the fog buildup like you do later in the summer.

I second Deception Pass and Pike Place Market. A lot of people want to stop at the Space Needle, but I don't think it's worth the cost unless maybe you plan on eating at the restaurant on top.

If you're staying in Portland for a day or two, it's worth it to drive east about an hour to Multnomah Falls. If you enjoy hiking (or even if you just want to get out of your car and look), this area is very beautiful. Make sure to take the historic highway and go to Crown Point and check out the museum.

I also highly recommend eating at Nepenthe Restaurant when you're driving through Big Sur on the California coast. It sits way up on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. This was definitely one of the highlights on our trip for me.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,211,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post

I second Deception Pass and Pike Place Market. A lot of people want to stop at the Space Needle, but I don't think it's worth the cost unless maybe you plan on eating at the restaurant on top.
The Needle is worth every penny if you are lucky enough to time a spectacular sunset. That is the time to go.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone!!! Appreciate the advice!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM

8,930 posts, read 7,268,441 times
If you're hesitant to spend the money on the Space Needle, you can go to the observation deck in Smith Tower for less money. It's not quite the same, but it's not as expensive. And it's a really cool building in general (the elevators are awesome). Personally, I feel the Space Needle is worth doing at least once, just for the experience. Come to think of it, I'd recommend doing both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington