U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 AM

35 posts, read 69,813 times
Default What is a good part of Tacoma to live in?

I have applied for a job at McChord AFB (well, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, to be accurate). I've been to Washington several times years ago but don't really know much about the Tacoma area as far as living there. I would like to live somewhere fairly close to the base. I also have a small child and so would need to be in a safe neighborhood accessible to daycare. From the research I have done, the cost of living is about the same as San Antonio, TX where I now live. So there shouldn't be much sticker shock. Any suggestions or even places to definitely avoid? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM

417 posts, read 586,248 times
Brown's Point. Mainly, the more north you are the better. North of the port and downtown. Also towards Ruston, some areas can be real nice. Around water.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM

133 posts, read 105,387 times
Brown's Point would not be a fun commute to Ft Lewis.

And Brown's Point is not nearly as nice as it used to be. Sure, the houses right on the water are fantastic (and fantastically expensive) but the houses and neighborhoods behind them get worse the further you get from the water, and Northeast Tacoma has gone very, very ghetto in many areas (Drive around the top of Norpoint Way around 29th and you'll see for yourself).

To answer OP's question about Tacoma: the North End and West Side are the best parts of town. The West Side has some pockets of "meh" but if you avoid apartment complexes you will be fine. This applies to UPlace also. The North End aside from some pockets along Pearl (again, apartment complexes) is pretty good to great across the board.

Avoid the East Side completely, and while the South Side still has some "ok" areas (immediate area around Wapato, for instance), it is generally best avoided also as it has declined quite a bit in the last couple decades, and the really ghetto parts (96th and Hosmer, or 38th and Yakima for example) have spread out to once ok/middle-class areas that are now ghetto (like Fern Hill or the area around Stewart, from the earlier examples). Hilltop isn't as bad as it used to be, but I'd still not want to live there. Stay north of 6th ave, the further the better, and you will be fine.

Edit: What about Dupont? It's supposedly a nice place for the military folks who don't want to live in the Lakewood/Parkland/Spanaway/Tillicum hood. Convenient commute also I would imagine.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM

810 posts, read 1,515,964 times
VOC1 is spot on. I second not living in Browne's Point. It would be very out of the way for you commuting to Fort Lewis. North Tacoma is very nice. The Stadium District (closer to downtown) is also a nice area, though it's more apartment living.

Spanaway does have some nice areas towards the waterfront as does Lakewood but it's very spotty. North Tacoma is a safe bet.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM

13,670 posts, read 15,649,832 times
I'd look at Lacey, the nice areas of northern Tacoma are more expensive, more like Seattle prices.
On the west coast, affordable areas (compared to most of the south and especially Texas) are less desirable.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,103,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOC1 View Post
... the really ghetto parts (96th and Hosmer, or 38th and Yakima for example)
I regularly visit a friend who lives on 38th near Pacific, a few blocks from Yakima, and I don't see that area as "ghetto". It's just a neighborhood of older homes, with a cluster of Vietnamese and other Asian businesses (which is why it's called the Lincoln International District). We've wandered all over that area and eaten in lots of restaurants, and never felt uncomfortable. Are we just oblivious? Where's the "ghetto"?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM

235 posts, read 524,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I regularly visit a friend who lives on 38th near Pacific, a few blocks from Yakima, and I don't see that area as "ghetto". It's just a neighborhood of older homes, with a cluster of Vietnamese and other Asian businesses (which is why it's called the Lincoln International District). We've wandered all over that area and eaten in lots of restaurants, and never felt uncomfortable. Are we just oblivious? Where's the "ghetto"?
I lived near 38th & M Street for 1.5 years (moved 6 months ago) and it was a pretty quiet neighborhood. I know it was a "weed & seed" neighborhood at one point but when I would looked at the city's crime map it had hardly any crime. Never saw any graffiti in the neighborhood, no shootings. My car never got broken into but the housemates did once (honda with tinted windows..).

I personally like the Lincoln Biz District, probably wouldn't be my first choice to live but there are some nice neighborhoods around there (Tacoma Ave, Whitman). There are some great restaurants, grocers & shops. Its not shiny like Proctor but has potential. There is defiantly a disconnect between the mainly Vietnamese property owners in the main business district and the city for development potential. One of my good friend's family owns a few properties in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington