Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:05 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times

Advertisements

Yes to the question can you be conservative and live comfortably in NW Washington. I am pretty conservative and live just fine here. While Washington is dominated by the Democratic party, they are a little different than say, the bat-**** crazy Democrats in California, for instance.
Washington has no income tax and frowns upon much regulation of gun ownership. I don't think most Washington Democrats would favor banning happy meals. Try that in California. The Democrats here have mostly made their peace with issues like the income tax and gun control and so survive against a mostly hapless Republican Party. There hasn't been a Republican Governor in this state since the early 80s. Might be nice to have one occasionally but I don't find the Democrats here as oppressive as some other states.
However, I don't discuss much politics with my friends and co-workers anyway so those political conflicts don't happen to me.
If you are conservative, come on up! We could use more.

Last edited by Count David; 06-13-2012 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,244 times
I am a staunch Republican/conservative, I do just fine here in Tacoma. I just do as the liberals do and put my sticker in my window and say what I want. They try to stifle your opinion, or try to shut you up, but just be yourself....it's a free country (for now) and you have the right to be conservative, liberal, independent or even lethargic. We NEED you here, one more conservative vote is great by my book! Welcome!

By the way, there are a lot of Soldiers in the south sound area....so it's MUCH more conservative down here....lol

Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I am not sure about the far Northwest corner of the state, but, anywhere east of the Cascades, it's mostly pretty conservative/libertarian. The Northwest approach to politics, as stated by others, tends to be more of a "live and let live" and/or mind one's own business one, rather than the more active approach you sometimes see in the Bible Belt.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Since conservative attitudes are fear-based, I'd say you can't live anywhere "comfortably" ... but you can live in fear in Washington just like most any other place ...

Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM

292 posts, read 1,447,946 times
I used to be much more politically conservative and grew up in a conservative family. My dad commuted daily to his pubic sector job in the heart of Seattle with a "W" bumper sticker and never was heckled or keyed. There is a thriving minority conservative movement in many communities, although I think it peaked with the second Bush's first term. The more suburban and rural a community, the more conservatives you'll find. Here in the Lake Tapps area, it definitely tilts to the red side.

But the person who said you can be comfortable just about anywhere because politics really doesn't come up is right on.

ETA: And the east runs primarily conservative, no issues there.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 AM

68 posts, read 130,117 times
Idaho has quite a few libertarian/conservative folks.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 AM

362 posts, read 589,308 times
i vote republican but am sort of liberal and id say bellingham is....ok...but few conservatives

sometimes i think it causes me bad stuff

if you have a nice job and are nice ,i guess its ok

whatcom co is actually conservative and redneck but bellingham is the opposite

Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Since conservative attitudes are fear-based,
I though it was progressive attitudes that were fear based while conservative attitudes evolved out of centuries of human trial and error.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 PM

403 posts, read 867,213 times
I grew up in ea WA but have lived majority of my life in western WA. Eastern WA is definitely conservative with some liberal ideas mixed in when it comes to freedoms, such as gun control & Alcohol privatization or more closet liberals. Example of closet liberals is ok w homosexuality but wont vote for gay marriage, a bit of dont ask dont tell but their Core life & religion is conservative. Seattle & much of W WA is in your face liberal. In W WA there is more of the "99%rs" that are liberals with the bulk of liberals saying "get off your but, you control your destiny, stop looking for a hand out".

Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2byte View Post
I grew up in ea WA but have lived majority of my life in western WA. Eastern WA is definitely conservative with some liberal ideas mixed in when it comes to freedoms, such as gun control & Alcohol privatization or more closet liberals. Example of closet liberals is ok w homosexuality but wont vote for gay marriage, a bit of dont ask dont tell but their Core life & religion is conservative. Seattle & much of W WA is in your face liberal. In W WA there is more of the "99%rs" that are liberals with the bulk of liberals saying "get off your but, you control your destiny, stop looking for a hand out".
Yes, as previously noted, eastern Washington tends to be much more conservative than western Washington.

Moderator cut: off-topic, orphaned

Last edited by Count David; 07-02-2012 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: see note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington