Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM

22 posts, read 67,096 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Just wanting to put the feelers out concerning political conservatism in the NW. I currently live in suburban Washington DC/Baltimore and MD is a relatively liberal state. But generally you can find a pretty good mix in this area, which makes sense since it's so close to the political hub of the U.S. Seattle and the surrounding areas seem to have the stereotype of being purely liberal, with maybe the exception of Mark Driscoll's church up there. Obviously that is a stereotype, but stereotypes have a funny way of being accurate more times than not.

Anyway, for those conservatives living west of the Cascades or others who have an opinion, is it feasible for social/political conservatives to live comfortably up there?

*I'm actually more of a libertarian (political mutt), but generally socially conservative. Pretty much agree with Ron Paul on many core issues (anti-interventionist, anti-abortion, pro state and local rights, etc.). Economic issues aren't as black and white for me.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
There are social conservatives here but as a majority, I would say social conservatives are the smallest group in Western Washington. I would say Seattle is liberal, Eastside is a mix of liberal and socially liberal/fiscally conservative. Further into the rural areas you will find more social/fiscal conservatives. East of the Cascades that mix would be in reverse with more conservatives/mixed conservatives and fewer liberals. I don't want to upset anyone, that's just my opinion, and I believe what has been shown here when votes are shown by county depending on the type of election it was (don't have the time to search it out right now). Because the population in Western Washington is much greater than the other areas, that tends to swing elections making Washington a blue state.

As an example, even with the conservative votes in Eastern Washington, domestic partnerships were approved by election. Now the governor has approved gay marriage and it will be put to a vote in November. I believe the polls have shown to be something like 55/45 for gay marriage, I'm not sure though, we'll see. Everyone I know has said they will be voting for gay marriage but when it comes to votes, you never know. Whether it is now or later, I think it will definitely pass in Washington State with companies like Microsoft, Starbucks, Boeing, Google, etc. strongly supporting it and saying it is important for their recruiting efforts.

Gay marriage advocates gain corporate support - Abby Phillip - POLITICO.com
Microsoft Pri0 | Microsoft supports gay marriage bills in state Legislature | Seattle Times Newspaper
Starbucks, Microsoft, others support gay marriage initiative in Washington state - Last Word

Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
I agree with Seacove's geographic observations, but I would also add that in my personal experience over almost a decade living in the area, politics has little to do with "living comfortably." The subject just doesn't come up a lot in my neighborhood or workplace.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
I agree with Seacove's geographic observations, but I would also add that in my personal experience over almost a decade living in the area, politics has little to do with "living comfortably." The subject just doesn't come up a lot in my neighborhood or workplace.
I agree.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 AM

22 posts, read 67,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Interesting, and I guess good to hear. I'd be curious to know what your political/cultural persuasion is. Someone that is liberal or liberal-leaning living in a statistically liberal cultural center may have a different opinion concerning the political climate than another who is largely outnumbered in their political/social views. I don't mean that to be contentious, just putting it out there.

My guess is that my area is much more politically charged than the Pacific NW in general. Again, living 40 minutes from the Capitol probably has something to do with that. I've lived in this area my whole life, though traveled a good bit. I feel that people in this area are much more likely to judge you by the politicians and party you identify with, as opposed to your personal decisions, nuanced views and lifestyle. Maybe that's different on your side of the nation...?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
There are definitely Ron Paul fans around in Seattle. I have seen people scoff, roll their eyes or whatever at the Ron Paul signs-- no confrontations though, that's very un-Seattle-like. (If it were Portland, oh yea-- guaranteed.)

I am of a Conservative persuasion. I do get annoyed by a lot of things (like how Seattle is run, most of its politics, the wishy-washy factor, et. c)... and some of the people as well. LOL. One thing I repeatedly have experienced when they find out I am Conservative... *Gasp!* "You're Republican?" No. I'm Conservative. Then it just... become one thing after another. I've actually had to "justify" my position to a couple folks-- and it was so odd for me because they railed on about how Conservative people don't think for themselves, they just adopt their parents' belief and not "adapt" (or whatever). I ask them if their parents were Conservative-- oftentimes, they weren't (but they don't see the irony in that). I've gotten to the point I don't engage in politics with people I don't know and people who I know is so far off from where I stand. Which is normal and would apply to anywhere you live in life. The question is... would you want to live in a place where more likely your vote may not count?

Eastern Washington is known for being RED (with the exception of those small college towns). Western WA is predominantly blue, with some exceptions: Clark County (which houses Vancouver, WA)... and i5 South of Centralia. People regard Pierce County (which houses Tacoma, Fort. Lewis) as RED-- and it sort of is... Just not in Tacoma, but more out in the boonies and the base.

I have absolutely no problem believing that Gay Marriage will pass/stand in WA-- The majority has always supported gay marriage; it's relatively recent that the politicians decide to take up the cause themselves (because before they wouldn't, saying their hands were "tied by the State Constitution").

Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
While western WA and especially King County is liberal, people here are not "in your face" about it, it's actually hard to tell someone's political leanings even if you know them fairly well unless thety happen to have a bumper sticker. I do work with several people that are conservative republicans in Seattle, but they live on the eastside. I personally have no political affiliation though I tend toward libertarian, and will vote for the best person running regardless of party. The state government, Seattle City Council/Mayor and King County Council are all overwhelmingly
liberal because the conservative areas east of the mountains are so less populated.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:54 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Eastern Washington is known for being RED (with the exception of those small college towns). Western WA is predominantly blue, with some exceptions
Yes, but remember that eastern Washington did not leave the Democratic Party. It left eastern Washington.

A friend that is a political journalist said the most striking achievement of the Democratic Party in eastern Washington is that in one generation Grant County went from a county where every house had a picture of FDR to where their candidate for US Senate got 25% of the vote!!

Eastern Washington condemned the wet-side dams and set-up PUD's (public utility districts) to serve the communities. Seizing the means of production does not sound conservative!!

They even fought Governor Locke (D) to allow the PUD's to provide cable, internet, and phone services as well as electricity. However, that "right-wing" politician Governor Locke protected his corporate friends (Verizon)
and fought the communities in eastern Washington to a draw. We did get the right to wholesale rather than retail services.

So red and blue really don't mean much.

Are you with the people or the corporations? That is the question.

There are plenty of liberal, corporate politicians west of the Cascades and many conservative, people politicians east of the Cascades.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
You will be fine in WA. Oregon is very politically and socially charged and in your face. WA enables freedom of thought, but the vote is controlled by 3 Liberal counties and has shackled the state's economy and businesses. Many businesses and farms are forced to move to ID and elsewhere.

For NW WA, just live in Lynden or Ferndale (Dutch Reformed and Mennonite communities).

There are a few good churches in Bellingham and even Seattle area Bethany Community Church.
http://raincitypastor.blogspot.com/

Most of Eastern WA will be fine too.

You just have to realize WA WILL become more like CA (financially and politically), until eventually you will have to leave. AK, ND, WY and SD will survive a bit longer, but CO is about to fall (tho it took 30 yrs to bring it down). AK will be the only safe US refuge when the living gets rough. But many of the U.S. Protectorates have far more political sense, and certainly more benefits than living stateside. (should you choose to retain your citizenship at that point.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
This is the point I was trying to get across, and I really think it's true. Probably true in many other places, too, outside the DC area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While western WA and especially King County is liberal, people here are not "in your face" about it, it's actually hard to tell someone's political leanings even if you know them fairly well unless thety happen to have a bumper sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington