U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM

5,601 posts, read 12,550,030 times

Advertisements

Welcome, sees21. Yes, it's called the Guaranteed Education Tuition program in Washington.

GET | Guaranteed Education Tuition

However, each state will have at least one similar program or 529 Plan available or so it isn't necessarily limited only to the state of Washington.

529 Plan Details

Thanks for bringing it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:18 AM

74 posts, read 208,974 times
My family and I are seriously looking at Camas, Wa. I have researched the schools and they seem great. Also, there was a write up in Money Magazine as Camas being one of the 100 best places to live, largely because of the schools. I do think it could use a Thai restaruant. That sounds fantastic :-).

Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 PM

78 posts, read 307,604 times
Quote:
A few people in Washington have been shocked to find large, unexpected Property Tax increases due to the influx of Californians driving up the price of Real Estate.
Ultrarunner,

In my opinion large developers have a lot more to do with running up the housing costs than do Californians cashing in their equity from the sale of their house and buying a new one in Washington. Californians are only a certain percentage of those looking to relocate. Everywhere you go in Washington you see new housing developments going up, each one higher priced than the last. It's called greed, and those of us who just want to live and enjoy life use our one opportunity to achieve that goal, normally earning that right through a lifetime of labor. I think we may be permitted our one stab at the apple.

It was somewhat gratifying to see house prices reduced on new developments, sometimes as much as $100,000 during our recent trip to Washington. Not that I want to see any business go under, but enough is enough when it comes to exploiting the market by erecting two and three story monstrosities on postage stamp lots while demanding a premium price. Additionally, a lot of people aren't aware of the hidden costs when buying a brand new home as it pertains to upgrades and/or association dues. It's actually a much better deal to buy a used house that may have all of these unforseen costs already taken care of. In a way, it's better for the economy to keep the money in the hands of those who've really earned it, ie those private sellers who don't make a living out of flipping houses. Corporate developers tend to create more sprawl than those trading one house for another.

I'm sorry to get off topic though, and referring to the original question about which is better, Oregon or Washington for relocation, I think it's about a toss up. Both States take a sizable chunk of your income in the form of non-federal taxes of various types, which leaves climate and lifestyle. The best answer is to do your homework, and then do it again to see what you've missed. Rent first if possible to avoid boxing yourself into a situation that could be difficult to escape.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,864 times
Ok, it is 2010 now and we are looking to move back to the Pacific Northwest (We live in North Carolina at the moment). I am very curious about the tax structure in WA - Is there an advantage to buying our next home in Clark County over say Clackamas or Yamhill County in Oregon?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 AM

11,172 posts, read 18,555,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobart12 View Post
... I am very curious about the tax structure in WA - Is there an advantage to buying our next home in Clark County over say Clackamas or Yamhill County in Oregon?
Tax related:
Do you have a business?
Will you have retirement or investment income? (from other states?)
Will you need to commute?
What is your price range and taste in housing? (rural vs. urban)
What is your style in purchasing? (New car every yr., boats, motorhome, home entertainment, or are you 'buy&hold'... drive a 30 yr old car, and wear clothes you bought in High School)
Are you adamantly Blue or Red? (This is very important in OR, but not in WA)

Not specifically tax related:
Do you drive a Prius? (important in OR, but not in WA)
Do you 'garden'? (climate and soils are a bit different)
How close to you want to be to:
  • airport
  • colleges
  • downtown Portland
  • recreation
  • Columbia Gorge
  • Snow skiing
  • Seattle
  • Train
  • Bus
  • Library
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington