Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times

Advertisements

I miss having the state park system sufficiently funded out of the general fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
Ya I got a $99 ticket today for not having a discover pass at the beach at westport if I call and explain I wasnt down at the beach very long maybe they could do something if not what are they going to do when I dont pay?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Probably send the bill to collections.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:18 PM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Or deny you registration privileges.

A ticket is not a criminal citation. It's just a fine, like speeding. I think you're overreacting. You probably drove right by at least one sign that mentioned that a Discovery Pass was required.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_seattle View Post
A couple of weeks later, I got a ticket for a $100 in the mail and my driver's license was being revoked..

There clearly is more to the story. You don't loses your license for getting a parking ticket. perhaps you didnt pay or appear, perhasp you forgot the dead body? The title alone is overly dramatic to take the post very serious, but I'm willing to bet that there was some sort of signage that you missed. No big deal. As for why, its likely to keep people from camping , loitering or other criminal activities in the park at night.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
IMO, the Discovery Pass is ridiculous. Now, I understand the need to make up for lost revenue for the State Park Service, and, being an avid "park-goer...
I agree with you and couple others. Why stick it to the public again. We pay our taxes and because it is miss managed they want more. You pay, but cant use unless you pay more..and make it unwelcome for out of state folks.

I watched this process, working near a park here is my experinece if you endulge me in a short rant. Where we should be holding those accountable instead of making folks that try be "the bad guy" because "we dont want to support the parks" or how ever they want to twist the message to fit thier idealology.

When the parks had you pay $5 for parking (which I did not have that much problem with personally). They opened up many areas with pay boxes. Then when the voters repealed the fee they set bolders out and replaced the boxes with no parking signs. Then when our left wing gov reaslises that they have to force people to pay (knowing that they can not win properly by a legal vote of the people). Then the parks keep the no parking areas and start patrolling for extra revenue in tickets, usually out of state folks..way to bring in business to our state guys, bravo. I was even given a ticket once after a ranger told me where to park then ticketed me while on a hike for 'parking illegally', of course he was gone when I returned from my hike.

What happened to the days when common people, boy scouts, not to mention the Army Corps, National Guard, who are paid by our taxes also, go in to fix trails? Instead of trying to find ways to collect more revenue to waste, figure out how to save and use the services we are already paying for. Next thing you know the Fed or our Govener like Nevada will be selling our parks and resources in some dark ally to overseas corporate intrests.

Thank you for listening to my rant. God help our childrens future. Hope they have parks that they are still allowed to even look at.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:06 AM

66 posts, read 81,486 times
Default The parks have to be funded

Please buy a discover pass and help support the parks in Washington State and Oregon. I know I sound like a jerk for saying it but the fact is, that money (well part of it) does go into maintaining the amazing parks that we all enjoy. I have to buy one for my motorcycle, my wife's motorcycle, our car etc. Because the truth is, we use the parks... A lot. I don't mind it. I mean have you seen the Olympics? Yeah, don't cheap out on our natural beauty. If you want to miss out on the most incredible wild, natural beauty then don't get the pass, but this place rocks and all it takes to eat it all up is a little pass. Get one and stop crying that "you didn't know". We all know it costs to get into parks in Washington. We all also know how worth it, it is. Don't miss out. Get the discover pass. Oh and yeah, the government here in Washington will bleed you dry so bring and extra shot of cash. It is not cheap here.

Last edited by vocal1; 06-23-2015 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-23-2015, 12:16 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
When we go to Utah, Oregon, or Nevada, we pay to use their state parks. I think the price varies between $5 and $15. I do not mind paying for our state parks or any other state parks. We also have state park license plates on both trucks. Maybe Microsoft and Boeings can shell out more than the piddling amount of taxes they pay. Btw, Washington state parks has a great camping deal for seniors who are state residents: a $75 fee will allow you to camp for free from October 1 through March 31 plus Sunday through Thursday in April. Hook ups are $7 or $10 more I think. I am not sure as we have a self contained truck camper. We usually boondock but it is nice to use flush toilets and dump our tank or get fresh water. Unfortunately, unlike Oregon, showers cost money. When you camp, the daily fee is waived.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
As I posted years ago in this thread, I would gladly pay to use the state parks, but I won't give them another dime after a State Park Ranger ticketed me for parking without having a Discover Pass, when in fact I DID have a Discover Pass clearly visible, hanging from my rear view mirror.

After pleading with the State Park Rangers where it happened (Confluence in Wenatchee), and then pleading with the head honchos of the State Park System, no one gave a damn. Finally, I had to prove in court that I actually had the pass at the time.

If one Ranger had screwed-up and didn't see the Pass, it would have been forgivable, but the government "officials" that I talked to were condescending and didn't care what-so-ever.

Never again. I am sure to remove the donation conveniently placed on our car-tab renewal as well. I would rather give that money to local causes in my community. You know - people who actually care about something.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
As I posted years ago in this thread, I would gladly pay to use the state parks, but I won't give them another dime after a State Park Ranger ticketed me for parking without having a Discover Pass, when in fact I DID have a Discover Pass clearly visible, hanging from my rear view mirror.

... I am sure to remove the donation conveniently placed on our car-tab renewal as well. ....

Why they don't offer a 'discounted' State Parks Pass with vehicle registration is confounding...(rather than a 'donation'). Maybe to be able to give more tickets... It doesn't take a marketing genius to understand there is a sweet spot, where they could offer a State Parks Pass for <$15 and get a few hundred thousand 'takers'. You can't even buy a pass at DMV (which would make a lot of sense...). I live near a State Park and am surprised a 'ticketed' person has not gone postal (yet...) (they get really upset A LOT).

Not worth the grief, Make it ez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington