Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM

40 posts, read 158,569 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting and have found a couple of nice houses that are located on the Tulalip Reservation. Any insight into that? I am leery of buying a house there, but a realtor assured us that there are some nice houses there that are properly 'deeded' and not to worry about the location. Any feedback???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 PM

214 posts, read 649,536 times
Unless you are part of the Tulalip Indian Tribe I believe you can buy a home on the reservation but you cant own the land? Maybe some others on here that are real estate agents can elaborate but that would be enough to keep me away.

Also if you are on here posting questions about it.....it may be difficult if you ever want to sell to someone else later on.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Read into this thread and be forewarned at least:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...servation.html

Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Different tribes have different rules. The Nisqually Tribe has only leased land, but the Tulalips have both leased land and deeded lots.
Still, even if it's nice house and a deeded lot, it's still riskier than buying a house on non tribal land. The Tulalips have stopped extending leases on much of their leased land, I'm just not sure about how or if that will effect non tribal members on deeded lots. And I sure as heck wouldn't trust a realtor to get you the accurate information. They have a vested interest. Where are they going to be a few years down the road when you have a dispute with the tribe?
I'd either just steer clear, or hire a real estate attorney with experience working with the Tulalip tribe.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There are other issues with buying there, I know from experience with a relative that bought and left in less than two years. There is a huge drug problem and lots of crime, and there can be jurisdictional issues with the Tribal Police. The number of signs on the main road commemorating the death of someone due to a drunk driver is the first warning sign. I'd really suggest looking elsewhere.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 AM

40 posts, read 158,569 times
This thread was very helpful. Thank you very much!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times
Yeah the Tulalip area seems pretty ghetto from what I have seen. And plenty of drunk driving signs along Marine Drive. Pretty sad.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Had a buddy looking at a place to buy, and the tribe would not extend him water rights even though it was another non-tribal owner selling the house who has current water rights. Thankfully he had his offer contingent upon several things so he did not get stuck with the house or lose money on the deal.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,374 times
We've lived here in Tulalip (upper Marine Drive just past SpeeBiDah) for nearly 17 years now. It's gorgeous up here and we have had no problems whatsoever.

This is all deeded property in our area and a number of people in here have lived here even longer than we have. These are 7.5 acre wooded tracts. You do need to run it by Tribal if you're planning to chop down all the trees on your lot, which to us is a good thing, but other than that, there has been no interference from the Tribe at all. It is a beautiful, quiet area full of wildlife and though there are quite a few of us living up in here, you don't see other houses so you get the feeling of being really remote without actually being so. If we were to ever sell, the tribe gets a 1% fee of our sale price. That's it.

We would definitely do it all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington