U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:18 PM

42 posts, read 36,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You might consider Poulsbo, as another alternative. Not only is there land but it's close to all the shopping amenities in Silverdale 10 minutes down the freeway, and has a store I like much better than Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, called Central Market. They even have a decent pizza there.
Thanks Hemlock140, we will for sure check out Poulsbo (although we believe we may have settled, in our hearts, on Langley/Whidbey Island). We have made a list of various towns to actually visit when we come out, we will definitely add Poulsbo to that list.

Looked up Central Market on the internet and we can understand just why you have come to love it. Wow! Sounds good to us as well. It's like a cross between Whole Foods and another store out this way called Sprouts Farmers Market, where we do most of our shopping. Organic vegetables and fruit are a must for us and well, again, as I mentioned in another post, being the "foodies" that we are, a store like that is right up our alley. LOVE it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I have to say, we are so impressed (actually, blown away) by the kindspirited people that we have experienced so far on this forum. A true sense of sincerity and warmth making us feel so welcomed, unlike an experience we had with a lot of Oregonians (it was quite disheartening) About a year or so ago, we were considering various places of Oregon and well, our experience between their forum and your forum are seriously like night and day!

Thanks again for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Love Central Market. I swear, it's one of the reasons we considered moving to Mill Creek (though we ended up ruling the city out for some commute reasons).
Right. We saw the Mill Creek location on the internet and fell in love right away (well, they're actually ALL really cool!). And what's really something is that they have those summer concerts. How cool is that? Very nice, very unique!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM

8,133 posts, read 14,040,209 times
Another one of my favorite spots on Whidbey is Double Bluff Beach, not too far from Freeland. If you have a dog, this place is heaven. It's an off leash beach, that stretches on for what seems like miles. Way in the distance, looking afar, you can see downtown Seattle's tall buildings. It's pretty cool. Whidbey has a zillion beaches. But only one off-leash beach. Sealions hang out on the rocks there after you walk down the beach aways. My dog absolutely loves the place, it's teeming with sea life.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Another one of my favorite spots on Whidbey is Double Bluff Beach, not too far from Freeland. If you have a dog, this place is heaven. It's an off leash beach, that stretches on for what seems like miles. Way in the distance, looking afar, you can see downtown Seattle's tall buildings. It's pretty cool. Whidbey has a zillion beaches. But only one off-leash beach. Sealions hang out on the rocks there after you walk down the beach aways. My dog absolutely loves the place, it's teeming with sea life.

Ouch. It's funny you mention that because the whole "dog" thing is a real sore spot with us only because where we live now, we have major issues with dogs who bark incessantly. And since we work at home, well, you can imagine (and all of this in a gated community where the houses are pretty much on top of each other. Albeit nice, the barking dogs have gotten way out of control!) Trust me, it's not that we have anything against dogs, years ago my brother had a Yorkshire Terrier (Cujo, yup named after the dog in the movie, but looked more like Gizmo in the movie The Gremlins). I was in complete love with that little doggie! But since then, I've come to realize that being a dog owner would be too high maintenance anyway and well, we're more "kitty people" (I know, I know). But thanks for the info. We LOVE learning more and more about Whidbey! And really love you sharing.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preshiesgirl View Post
Ouch. It's funny you mention that because the whole "dog" thing is a real sore spot with us only because where we live now, we have major issues with dogs who bark incessantly. And since we work at home, well, you can imagine (and all of this in a gated community where the houses are pretty much on top of each other. Albeit nice, the barking dogs have gotten way out of control!) Trust me, it's not that we have anything against dogs, years ago my brother had a Yorkshire Terrier (Cujo, yup named after the dog in the movie, but looked more like Gizmo in the movie The Gremlins). I was in complete love with that little doggie! But since then, I've come to realize that being a dog owner would be too high maintenance anyway and well, we're more "kitty people" (I know, I know). But thanks for the info. We LOVE learning more and more about Whidbey! And really love you sharing.
I came late to dog owning. I was a confirmed cat person most of my life( and still am) but have owned dogs the last 17 years or so, and have to explain very carefully to the dog that it's the cat who owns the house and lets us live there... And yes, there are way too many irresponsible dog owners out there. Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I came late to dog owning. I was a confirmed cat person most of my life( and still am) but have owned dogs the last 17 years or so, and have to explain very carefully to the dog that it's the cat who owns the house and lets us live there... And yes, there are way too many irresponsible dog owners out there. Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves.

Amen to that! Yes, way too many irresponsible dog owners. —That is hilarious...that you have to explain very carefully to the dog that it's the cat who owns the house and lets you live there. ...still laughing.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Well, it looks like this thread has come to a close. I want to thank everyone for ALL your wonderful recommendations and valuable advice. Not only has this forum led us to many beautiful locations, but it has also opened our eyes to many of the vital aspects of purchasing land and the building process that we were completely unaware of (being first time builders, of course we would be). From building rights, water rights, timber rights, mineral rights, being aware of landlocked properties to access and easements, etc., to knowing the importance of having a building consultant (thanks SteathRabbit!).

Since my first post, we have researched extensively all of the towns recommended to us including many surrounding areas. We are so in love with the entire area and feel in our hearts we are already there! We feel we have stumbled upon a true hidden gem (and it is!) So again, thank you everyone...without you, we would still be hovering over our Washington map wondering where to begin. ...looking forward to planning our trip there soon!!!

Last edited by preshiesgirl; 07-23-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 AM

Default Bainbridge

Just in case anyone happens upon this, just wondering why no one mentioned Bainbridge Island? We were looking at it today on the internet and it seems like a pretty good contender. Any thoughts?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Lots of people like Bainbridge. I find Whidbey to have more character, but Bainbridge has the advantage of direct ferry service to DT Seattle. Bainbridge tends to be pricier, and it's reflected in the kind of restaurants they have, such as the Four Swallows. People say the name refers to the portion sizes, but I haven't been there.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Yes, we definitely noticed the direct ferry to DT Seattle, which could be a nice advantage. Also heard about the Four Swallows as well (oh boy). ...AND possible snooty encounters with some locals. Hmm... Well, we were just curious as to why not much was mentioned about it. I know we will get a better feel for these towns once we come out and explore for ourselves (well as much as we can without actually "living" there that is). Once again, thanks Ira500, for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington