U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM

5,148 posts, read 3,179,626 times

Advertisements

Spent July in Bellingham to delightful temepratures while Minnesota was baking. Now having 60's in Minnesota while heat index in Bellingham is 90's. Not sure how much this is outside of averages, but I sure would have regretted the money spent if I'd had this in July when I was there. Caught a lucky break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM

100 posts, read 114,347 times
Haha.. It's miserable here and people in Bellingham don't understand the concept of air conditioning or even fans. You can go into many businesses and there is no fans and no AC and people just sit there and bake and think it is a curse from G-d and don't think about remedying it in anyway. I actually was so lucky that I purchased one of the last Air conditioners under $200 that were left in any of the stores in Bellingham. Both air conditioners and fans are both out of stock in almost all the stores in town. People don't prepare for Summer, so they all rush the stores at the last minute when they start baking and their poorly ventilated homes start hitting 100F+.

The humidity in Bellingham also makes the heat considerably worse than what I experienced in Oregon, where it could be 10F hotter, but the humidity was much less.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM

79 posts, read 123,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest7 View Post
Haha.. It's miserable here and people in Bellingham don't understand the concept of air conditioning or even fans. You can go into many businesses and there is no fans and no AC and people just sit there and bake and think it is a curse from G-d and don't think about remedying it in anyway. I actually was so lucky that I purchased one of the last Air conditioners under $200 that were left in any of the stores in Bellingham. Both air conditioners and fans are both out of stock in almost all the stores in town. People don't prepare for Summer, so they all rush the stores at the last minute when they start baking and their poorly ventilated homes start hitting 100F+.

The humidity in Bellingham also makes the heat considerably worse than what I experienced in Oregon, where it could be 10F hotter, but the humidity was much less.
You lucky brats. . Just checked the temperature there today and it was 86 last I checked, but I have been keeping up with it for months now nearly on a daily basis. It's rarely reached the 80's that I've seen, maybe occasionally. You guys call it misery how it is now, and I WISH I were there enjoying those temperatures all season long. Here in Texas, particularly where I'm at in Easten Texas it has been in the hundreds nearly every day for 2 straight months, and has been in the 90's since February.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 AM

8,932 posts, read 7,279,719 times
It's been awfully warm for the last few days, but compared to where I'm from it's practically nothing. In fact the abnormally high temps we've been having are still below the average August highs in my hometown, and the humidity there is much, much worse. Still sucks, though. But it's supposed to only be in the 60s for most of next week, which will be excellent.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:39 AM

79 posts, read 123,570 times
Want a roommate Lamplight? :P Kidding. I'd love to be there!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 AM

Yeah, but one thing you are all forgetting is these horrible places have wonderful A/C systems installed in most the homes, apartments and businesses. Here in Bellingham and most of Western Washington the homes and businesses have inadequate ventilation and no type of cooling systems. I cannot believe how so many businesses don't even provide fans for their customers. You just sit and roast in your home..

This is coming from somebody who has lived in places that were 90-100F+ every day in the Summer. I would take a place with dry heat and proper AC systems rather than one that is 85F , humid with a small fan as your only way to keep cool in a house with big windows that heats up to 100F+. Even in Africa, where it is hot and humid everyday, many of the rooms have ceiling fans and large screened windows to allow air to flow. I guess people in Bellingham forgot about how miserable one month of heat can be when you are dying in inside.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM

My apartment hasn't gotten uncomfortable at all yet and I only have one small oscillating fan. But knowing most places don't have AC here, I intentionally chose an apartment on the ground floor, that has all its large windows facing north (under a canopy of trees), and the single window facing south I have blocked up. No heat in here! And my electric bills have been even lower than in winter (when I only have to use a tiny space heater to stay comfortable)/

Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM

I have giant bay windows that don't open at my house. Ah, how nice it is when the afternoon sun comes to brighten up the house.. Where I live would make a great greenhouse, but is an utterly miserable place to live. If it wasn't for the wall A/C I put in my bedroom, I wouldn't even be able to sleep in the house. There is no cross ventilation and it retains moisture and heat.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:16 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,343,205 times
After the weekend, it probably won't even hit 70 degrees for the next couple of weeks in Bellingham. And this in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewed View Post
You lucky brats. . Just checked the temperature there today and it was 86 last I checked, but I have been keeping up with it for months now nearly on a daily basis. It's rarely reached the 80's that I've seen, maybe occasionally.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
After the weekend, it probably won't even hit 70 degrees for the next couple of weeks in Bellingham. And this in August
Yeah that's the great thing. When it does get hot, all you have to do is wait a few days. In fact, this morning it felt like autumn outside (though I think it's still supposed to be in the mid to high 70s today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington