Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM

28 posts, read 74,504 times

Advertisements

My wife has job opportunities in each of these towns. We currently live in Colorado and haven't had a chance to visit either of these towns.

We're interested in smaller towns in rural communities. We would look for a home outside of town with a few acres of land where we can have large gardens, chickens and perhaps other animals. We like agricultural communities where where we can make friends with farmers.

Both of them look like fine towns although Yelm is a bit too close to sprawl of the nearby megacities.

Can anyone tell me about these two towns, perhaps comparing and contrasting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
There are a lot of differences between the two. Weather being one of the biggest. Yelm is warmer most of the year, sunnier, drier, but colder in the winter.

Yelm is larger and faster growing due to its proximity and Olympia and Tacoma. It is large enough to have most amenities and is close enough to Olympia and Tacoma for the rest. If Yelm is too large, live south of town in the Bald Hills area or towards Vail. There are also some lakes out that way if you like the water. Plenty of acreage out there. The Yelm/McKenna area is one of the area's bigger agricultural areas. The Pierce County side of the river also has many farms and acreage.

Montesano is smaller and has less housing options (but cheaper) as much of the surrounding land is tree farm. Montesano has cooler, more cloudy weather and more rain. More timber than farming community. For many amenities you will have to go 10 miles away to Aberdeen, which itself is Washington's rustbelt. For everything else, you'll have to head to Olympia.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
Lets see I currently rent a house in Yelm. Lived there. Hung out around Montesano years ago and have camped fished in the area. As an outsider (and a insider) the biggest worst general label I could give is in Montesano you will see banjos in Yelm you will see mullets. With that said and I don't have problem with either. More rain Montesano. More property for your $. Longer drive to say Costco or town stores. Yelm closer to Olympia (where my house is ) still 45 minutes without traffic to Tacoma 30 to Olympia. Rodeo is still fun. Team penning horse events. Rural space that will give you what your are aksing for. More people. Prices have fallen so still affordable. Yelm has a Safeway now and a few fast food places with mixed resturaunts movie theater Les Shwab tires Wallmart etc. The other just has local places and less. Montesano is very pretty however. But I still wouldn't say no to Yelm area for not being rural.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I would choose Montesano over Yelm if I was interested in a rural community. Montesano has less sprawl and strip malls and seems to have more community pride than most western Washington small towns. It has more of an old fashioned and cleaner look to it IMO. However it is isolated. If you want a rural atmosphere but still be close to big city amenities Yelm would be a better choice.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,492 times
Yelm - Pride of the Prairie was created to share information about the local community for those interested, such as you & has a wealth of information - check it out: Yelm - Pride of the Prairie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington