Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,972 times

Advertisements

hey washington people!!! im looking to move back to the pnw in the next few months, but because im doing it solo this time i have some questions that i cant seem to really find answeres to after a few hours of searching. ive lived in the shelton area and commuted to olympia for work, but never lived on my own. im a single guy so i need an area that is affordable to live on one income, and where jobs are avaiable with out long commutes. im in my early 30's so the dating scene is kinda important too. i watched that movie everyone is crazy over with vampires and the town in that movie is kinda what im looking for, wet,snows sometimes and cloudy although i found it was not filmed in wa but portland. thanks for imput and what not. oh and although i didnt run into it much when i was there, but im mixed race and want to stay away from any areas where that might be an issue. i have read online that the raciszm is getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,624 posts, read 57,628,813 times
Don't go to Shelton Quite a bit of rural WA is NOT desireable for a 30 yr old single. Shelton is kind of a pit (as is Aberdeen / Grays Harbor).

Stay in Olympia area IF that is where you have a job.

If no job... FIND ONE before moving.

Bremerton / silverdale would be racially accepting (as is most of WA) Shelton might be excluded...

Personally I would go to bellingham area (but not cheap, due to College rents) Smaller towns near there are acceptable. Olympia too, tho I would avoid Tacoma. (for various reasons)

Many Many nice places for you in We_t WA. Personally, I've never dealt or seen Vampires, so no expert there, but if you want Weird, there is always PORTLAND. Expensive and NO jobs but a GOOD and desireable place for WEIRD (and Goth). Probably plenty of vampires too. Snow... You need to be at 1200' elevation... not much snow in We_t WA, but when you get it... It is WET!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
I moved to (central WA area) and regret it. I agree with SR: stick to the Olympia area and only move if you have a decent job.

Or better yet, maybe try another state or country.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,218,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjohnny View Post
i watched that movie everyone is crazy over with vampires and the town in that movie is kinda what im looking for, wet,snows sometimes and cloudy
That would be Forks.

I'm not sure there would be much in the way of employment opportunities in Forks except perhaps in the logging industry (working in the woods or the mills or driving log truck).

Also, Forks had its hottest day on record this summer and I think it was something like 81. LOL Now, maybe you would like that, but I don't think I would like it much.

If you can find work in Olympia, you can find fairly cheap rents in the Centralia/Chehalis area - about 25 miles south of Olympia.

I guess it goes without saying that if you're looking for cool and wet, you won't be interested in the "east side."

Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Don't go to Shelton Quite a bit of rural WA is NOT desireable for a 30 yr old single. Shelton is kind of a pit (as is Aberdeen / Grays Harbor).

Stay in Olympia area IF that is where you have a job.

If no job... FIND ONE before moving.

Bremerton / silverdale would be racially accepting (as is most of WA) Shelton might be excluded...

Personally I would go to bellingham area (but not cheap, due to College rents) Smaller towns near there are acceptable. Olympia too, tho I would avoid Tacoma. (for various reasons)

Many Many nice places for you in We_t WA. Personally, I've never dealt or seen Vampires, so no expert there, but if you want Weird, there is always PORTLAND. Expensive and NO jobs but a GOOD and desireable place for WEIRD (and Goth). Probably plenty of vampires too. Snow... You need to be at 1200' elevation... not much snow in We_t WA, but when you get it... It is WET!
Lol thanks. I dont care about the vampires ive only seen parts of that movie on tv. Lol i just liked the setting. So as far as snow goes would i need to go north or west. My other big thing is i wanna live somewhere where the car scene is big too. Yea im an import junkie lol.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,624 posts, read 57,628,813 times
Bremerton or Centralia is a pretty big car scene.
Sun can be found at elevation near each, BUT in We_t WA you will mostlikely be DRIVING to snow, not living in it (Unless on Stevens Pass / North Cascades / Mt Baker). That said... I had to be helped home 4 times last yr due to snow, and I'm We_tside. (Got an Obama road(8" of OPEC asphalt and Chinese Paint), so ruined our traction (chipseal, perfectly good)... first trouble in 17 yrs). It's a skating rink now, LOTS of accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington