U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in Arlington, WA
Yes 20 68.97%
No 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 24,884 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate to the northern Snohomish County area, perhap Stanwood, Camano Island or Arlington areas. While perusing the local newspapers today, an article in the Arlington Times struck a cord. The article addressed a newcomer's ordeal with destruction action to his property, new home under construction which has several acts of vandalism, and worst of all a neo-nazi graffitti tag on his front door. If that was not enough, the local police department chose to look the other way by not investigating his reports.

My questions is rather straight forward. Is this lack of action on the local police department and/or sheriff department typical if one is not "white enough"?

Are this communities filled with closet bigots or racists? I hate to generalize and condem an entire community over the action of a few misguided souls painting graffitti, however, my concerns ae raised when local law enforcement personell appear oblivious to the criminal mischief suffered by this man.

Any comments are greatly appreciated, pro or con, just no vulgarity, please.

Last edited by waltandlilis; 10-08-2007 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: typo corrected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM

309 posts, read 1,255,859 times
I think there may be other factors here to consider. Is the house especially huge (some communities oppose McMansions), is the house placed on the lot in such a way that it has ruined neighbors' views, has noisy construction been going on at all hours, is the site not properly secured (could just be teenagers acting like hoodlums)????? I'm not saying that these are the case, I would just look at all angles of it before making a judgement. Sometimes the media picks the most controversial and dramatic part of a story and pushes that b/c it sells papers. But this could just be pissed off neighbors for whatever reason.

I think the only way to know if you'll feel truly comfortable in a place is to spend some time there. If you get a lot of sideways looks I'd look for a diff. place to move....but that's just me.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Default McMansions or other factors, interesting thought

Ness,
Thanks you for replying. It never entered my mind that perhaps the gentleman was building a McMansion or had/has construction noise which may irritate his neighbours. Good point.

I was reading another thread which spoke about getting a feel for the community, etc. I do plan to spend some time in the beautiful Seattle area. My hubby and I are childless, but do want a good school district because it's reflective of the community values. We are actively involved in community service, working with seniors and children alike. We volunteer with Habitat for Humannity, Senior Citizens Meal on Wheels, raise funds for the mentally and physically challenged.

We are both of caucausim descent but that story really bothered me ... anyhow, enough about us.

In any event, I profusely apologize if anyone has been offended by this post. I would really like to know what others think and/or feel about this outlaying area in Snohomish County.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 PM

223 posts, read 1,107,540 times
The areas you've mentioned are all historically very socially conservative. Long time residents tend to have rather pink necks and there have been more than a few episodes of this sort of graffiti and even a couple of cross burnings in rural Snohomish county. By and large, such episodes have turned out to be low-life punk kids, but this stuff does happen. There also seems to be a bit of resentment among the old-line residents in the smaller towns towards the city folk that are moving into the area and making the horrible commute into Seattle.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Wythors,

Thank you for your sharing your perspective of the area. Hubby has lived in 44 states because of his work. I have lived in the Midwest, East Coast, TX and AK. Of all the places we have been, we liked the Seattle area when visiting and taking delivery of a boat purchased in Des Moises.

We loved the park like settings, the parks and nature trails. I was hoping to move to a smaller community in the northernpart of the county but do not embrace the thought of living side by side with closed-minded people. As for the old time residents, I can understand why they would be upset if a large influx of people moved in and changed the entire community into strip malls. However, perhaps, in time, they would embrace changes that are substantialy improve the quality of life in the area. We shall see.

Are there any areas in particular that you would suggest? We are looking for acreage to build our home.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 PM

442 posts, read 1,691,331 times
The thing about Seattle and its outlying areas is what wythors pointed out- rural areas tend to be conservative and a different culture than the city. The most progressive areas are in Seattle itself.

You might check out Stanwood, though- it has seen tremendous growth and is way less rural than it used to be. If you're open to an Island, Langley on Whidbey Island is an artsy town in a rural setting.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM

223 posts, read 1,107,540 times
W and L, are you going to need to commute to Seattle for work, or are you retired?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM

339 posts, read 604,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltandlilis View Post
My family is looking to relocate to the northern Snohomish County area, perhap Stanwood, Camano Island or Arlington areas. While perusing the local newspapers today, an article in the Arlington Times struck a cord. The article addressed a newcomer's ordeal with destruction action to his property, new home under construction which has several acts of vandalism, and worst of all a neo-nazi graffitti tag on his front door. If that was not enough, the local police department chose to look the other way by not investigating his reports.

My questions is rather straight forward. Is this lack of action on the local police department and/or sheriff department typical if one is not "white enough"?

Are this communities filled with closet bigots or racists? I hate to generalize and condem an entire community over the action of a few misguided souls painting graffitti, however, my concerns ae raised when local law enforcement personell appear oblivious to the criminal mischief suffered by this man.

Any comments are greatly appreciated, pro or con, just no vulgarity, please.

I would love to respond to your police comments, but it would take about 40 pages and I was told to never type angry.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 AM

255 posts, read 1,047,847 times
waltandlilis, Hi: I am pleased to be able to offer my perspective on Arlington since I lived there until earlier this year and still work out of Arlington. The city of Arlington is about an hour's drive north of Seattle in the beautiful Stillaguamish Valley. You can read the actual logistics on the City-Data page about the city so I won't go into it here. It is a very pretty, rural town, still with many small farms, although parts of it abut the interstate. There are gorgeous views of the Cascade Mountains and the Stillaguamish River flows past downtown. Quiet and serene would best describe the area (the further you go from the interstate). It has a brand new High School which opened a couple of years ago. One of my children was fortunate to be in the intake Freshman year.

My hope is that you won't judge the hard-working, decent, really nice people of Arlington by the actions of a few. Arlington in virtually crime-free. And in the main, it is composed of middle and upper income people although there are a retired folks in the area also. There are no slums. It's a great place to raise children and has so many wonderful things going for it. I have lived all over the United States and overseas and this is the nicest place that I've ever lived. 99.9% of the community are appalled by the actions such as those you read about. It is definitely not an everyday occurrence. People of all ethnic and racial backgrounds have happily found their place and made their home here.

As another post suggested, I think that some (not all) of the older residents don't care for the expansion - which as yet isn't huge - and there are people who have moved in and commute to work, whether it be Seattle, Everett or wherever. But it's difficult for some people of whatever age to adapt to change. I am out and about in the community a lot and I've never felt any older person resentful towards me for moving in. In fact, there are some very fine older people in this part of the world.

Stanwood is a very nice, older town about 5 miles off the freeway. It has distant views of Puget Sound. I think it was settled by folks originally of Norwegian descent and it was and still is somewhat of a farming community. The town of Stanwood now encompasses a huge area some of which is actually on Puget Sound. There are million dollar homes, upper income homes, middle class and farms. It has some very charming areas. My daughter and son-in-law live in Stanwood.

And Camano Island is a little further on from Stanwood. There is still only a two lane road all the way to the freeway so it is a little busy during rush hour traffic. And the nearest hospital is in Arlington. That being said, Camano is a great place to live. There are gorgeous views on both sides of the island. However the further south you drive, the longer it will take to get to the freeway for a daily commute. There is a grocery store on the island but few others so that to get to the major chains or malls, the nearest would be Mount Vernon which has major chains and a Mall and further away would be Smokey Point for large chains and Everett for the Mall and then Lynnwood for Alderwood Mall.

Any of these areas would be great for building your home.

All in all, this part of the world has a lot going for it in quality of life, beauty of scenery and just a great sense of well-being. Wherever you eventually move to, you will have to rent while you decide on your next course of action. It will give you the time and ability to get a feel for different areas and decide where you want to call Home next. Hope this has been helpful to you and sorry it's something of a short story. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,170 times
Default camano island newbie

Hi. My boyfriend and I recently moved to Camano Island (He grew up in the area but had been gone for 10 years) from San Diego/La Jolla. I read the comments from others, and would agree with much of it -- but I felt the need to second the comments about people being VERY CONSERVATIVE!!! Let's put it this way - I am of hispanic decent, but I do not feel compelled to share this information with others. I have a (tiny) facial piercing, which draws stares and seems to fascinate people. Several people have made unsolicitated comments to me. A few have suggested I remove my jewelry.
(We are talking about a teeny tiny diamond stud, on my upper lip.)

The area itself is absolutely lovely, no doubt. But not everyone has welcomed us with open arms - particularly when they find out we are from California. I think the assumption is, we are coming in with our money, and we are not necessarily welcome.

As for the police...We own a pit bull. People up here are afraid of Pit Bulls. I have seen more negative press about Pit Bulls in the three months we've been here than the entire 40 years I lived in San Diego. One day, our (friendly if disobiedient) Pit Bull and I were out for his morning pee walk. We were staying with relatives in Stanwood at the time. My puppy tugged the leash out of my hand, and proceeded to play a catch me if you can game in a local field. (Private property). After chasing him for several minutes, I walked approximately 50 yards, up the stairs, and onto our front porch. He he immediately followed. He followed behind me, passing me on the stairs. It was all a big game to him. As I sat scolding him for not coming when I called and drinking my morning coffee, I noticed a police cruiser driving around the apartment complex. About six minutes had passed since I took him out for his morning break. Eventually the policeman made his way to us on the porch. Long story short - he said a neighbor had reported my dog "running in between the buildings, showing aggressive behavior towards him". I would still like to know how a dog who is RUNNING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION is being AGGRESSIVE. He took down my name, and those of my boyfriend and his brother, since we were staying at his house, and warned me that if my dog was seen lose again it might not end well. He claimed that "more than once, he'd had to use his nightstick to ward off attacking pitbulls", and that if I wanted to keep my dog safe I'd better not let him off the leash again. I felt sick to my stomach. I am a responsible pet owner, and my dog was not bred for fighting. I won't even get into that here -- but the bottom line is, I keep my dog inside, at ALL times.

Apparently this interaction was such news, that it was actually written up in the Stanwood newspaper! I think the article said something like "aggressive Pitbull reported roaming the streets of Stanwood". And the reporter, although they had our names, never felt the need to fact check. All based on one phopne call to the police, by a neighbor who couldn't bother coming over to talk to us if they were so concerned. Unbelievable! When I recounted this story to a Camano Island resident a few days later, as my puppy and her six year old son played in the park here on the island, she told me of a similar experience she and her labradors had with local authorities.

Having said all that, I've found that almost all the people we've met, once they spend a little time with us and find out we do not eat small children or practice satanic rituals, are pleasant, even friendly.

Would I live in Arlington? Ask me in a year or so. The jury's still out on that one. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington