Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:51 PM

19,100 posts, read 16,465,254 times

Advertisements

I don't want to start a fight here but I have to agree with eponabri, with regard to whether a hunter has the right to hut deer on someone else's property. Not just the legalities but what about the risks? Say a property owner is out, somewhere on his land, checking trees for removal or whatever he might be doing there and a hunter mistakes him for a deer and shoots? I know that sounds a little far-fetched but these sort of bizarre stories happen, all too frequently. I can't believe there are hunters who actually believe they have a right to trespass on someone else's land, in order to pursue their sport. And what if their rifle goes off near a house, goes through the wall and strikes a person inside the home? Is that okay, too? Surely, there are places to hunt that aren't rural residential, like Colorado. No one should be hunting in places where there are houses and residents nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,100,596 times
It is against state law to discharge a firearm in a place where any person might be endangered thereby. (RCW 9.41.230).

I'm not a hunter or gun owner, just relating facts. Many residents in the area shoot targets and varmints in their own yards, too. If you want to be safe from stray gunshots, be sure to be withing the city limits of a city where it's illegal to fire a weapon, as it is in Sequim and also here in Sammamish. It's the outskirts, in unincorporated Clallam County
where all of this shooting and hunting at homes goes on. Diamond Point is 14 miles from the Sequim city Limits.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM

260 posts, read 922,845 times
I have to agree with both of you, unfortunately, and the law about firearms isn't about to changed anytime soon. When a homeowner in Sunshine Acres (one of the neighborhoods in Diamond Point), called the Sheriff because someone was hunting on their property (just a little over an acre), the Sheriff was reported to have said, "it's hunting season, what do you expect!"

She told him she expected that they find someplace else to hunt, where there are not homes side by side and residents working in their yard. It turns out that some residents actually hired hunters to come and shoot the deer simply because they didn't like them. Jeez, what would happen if they decided they didn't like their neighbors too?

Although I have stated I haven't heard any sirens here, that doesn't mean there hasn't been any murders. I just had to learn about them from the newspaper.

I should also add that people tend to keep to themselves a lot, even though we do have a neighborhood association, but it mostly meets just to talk about the community beach. I know very few of our neighbors (although my husbands knows them all), the ones I know are friendly but not nosy.

Hope this discussion of the deer and hunters didn't dissuade you from looking into to Sequim and surrounding area. But you did ask what was wrong with Sequim. I hope you'll also go back and read the dozens of posts about what is good about Sequim too. Like any other town in any other state, it has it's good points and bad points....

Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM

42 posts, read 125,843 times
I'm must admit this talk of hunters acting like idiots in a residential neighborhood is unsettling. I'd definitely have to take that into account when looking for a house. I don't want to be way out in the boonies, but I'd also rather not be in a really crowded area. Hopefully the local real estate agents would know what activities go on in the various neighborhoods.

This is the kind of information I was looking for. It's good to know all sides before making a big move.

George

Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 PM

37 posts, read 140,993 times
hi george_seifert first let me say the whole deer hunting thing is being blown out of propshtion and exsagerated.

with this said i do not live in sequim yet but hope to be there soon.

but instead i live in woodland wa and we have the same issuse with deer hunters and hunters in general of tresspassing/shooting on private land were there not wanted.

how ever it is only a select few that do and i think you wil find it is the same way in sequim and that people that are deer/animal lovers are over dramatizing it.

further more some of the areas people are complaing about people hunting in are legal hunting areas and people just do not want to understand hunting is a natural thing and has bin going on for ever.

they instead think the deer and all animals should just be left to do as please.
how ever if we did not have hunting seasons the deer/animal populashtion would be come over run and full of deases that could in turn be transmitted to domestic animals and than tranfered to us humans.
also in certain areas the deer elk need to be check in check as they can and will devaste a crop in a nights time.
here is woodland we have an elk heard up river from me at is a good size heard and they reek havic on the local framers crops and the sawd fram we have.

as well as texas and other places have this problem with wild hogs.

here in woodland as well as many other places the farmers can apply to the game depatment and get so many kill pertmits a year to keep the elk populashtion in check so they do not intirely destroy there crops.
yet allot of people are probly not aware the fammers have this right and if they did they would have a cow and freek out and say how in human it is.

will out even considering how much money the farmer is loosing buy the elk destroying there crops.

with this all said i agree that the hunters should not be tresspassing and hunting/shhoting on private land were there not wanted.

as well as they should not be fireing a riffle are a bow in close proxsimity to homes.

yet some and again a select few bow hunters feel they have more rights than riffle hunters and that they can shoot there bows in close proxsimity to houses as well as tresspass as they feel there arrow will not cause any danger to the home owner if they miss there shot as well as there right out way the home owners as there causing no damage of any kind at all.

how ever this is not the truth as a misguided arrow can cause/do as much damage as a straw bullet.
further more them trapsing through the property/land owners property can cause more damage they they relize.

so bow hunters and riffle hunters need to follow same rules when it comes to were there firing/shooting when it comes to proxsimity of house.

also this group of those few select hunters feel it is there right of passage and not a privelege to hunt so they feel there rights are far more important and out way the rights of home owners/land owners and this leads to problems for those hunters that relize hunting is a privelege and no a right and follow the laws and respecet the land/home owners.

but again you always hear about the bad and not the good because all people want to do is complain complain and complain more know days.

contuining.
i am not a big hunter yet i do injoy hunting.
how ever i disagree with those/the select few hunters that feel hunting is a right of passage and so they can do what ever they want and no buddy can tell them what they can and can not due.

yet on the other hand i am not an animal actavist either and understand you need hunting to keep the poplushtion heathly and in check.
but there are those that feel hunting is the most horrable thing in the world and it should be band/out lawed.
inclosing to put everything in a nut shell i would be almost wiling to bet the majority of the problem with deer hunting in sequim is not the tresspassing and shooting to home but instead that people have moved to sequim thinking it was this cool little town out of the way were they could retire and not have to put up with hunting are anything that goes along with living in country/out of the way.
yet they find out it is not what they though so they want to start complaining about the way life is and has bin since the start of time when you live out in the country away from big city life.
lastly i have nothing againest any one and have only posted my thoughts/views on the whole deer hunting issuse not only in sequim but in every small/out of the big city is the united states.
restless in woodland wa

on the other hand i am not an animal activist either.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM

576 posts, read 2,251,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_seifert View Post
I'm must admit this talk of hunters acting like idiots in a residential neighborhood is unsettling.
It's not unique to Sequim. Any time you're talking about a small/rural town in a somewhat remote/isolated location (such as Sequim), you'll hear such "discussions". I've heard similar back and forth between hunters and non-hunters in small town OR, ID and MT as well. It's been my observation that the smaller or more off the beaten path that one gets location wise, the more the hunters begin to outnumber the non-hunters. Something to consider but from personal experience, I don't think too many residents find it a significant issue or problem.

FWIW, I often wake in the early morning hours and have several deer napping in my front yard. I've never had anyone try to shoot one of them. IMO, the bigger threat is from those same deer eating my garden or fruit trees. One winter morning several years ago, I awoke to see a cougar up in a neighbors fur tree. That caused quite a commotion in my neighborhood. The most entertaining part was subsequently watching the Fish and Game officers trying to coax said cougar from his perch!

Anyway, simply a potential foretaste of small town life on the peninsula George!

Last edited by Dendrite; 10-30-2012 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled word

Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM

260 posts, read 922,845 times
First of all, and I don't want to start a big argument, but if you don't live here, how do you know this is blown out of proportion???

If you read my post, I said: I haven't seen it personally, but I have talked to people have had hunters in their front yard and were told that they had the right hunt where ever they wish. I also was personally was told that!! I don't want to find out the hard way that someone is actually going to start shooting at the dozen or so deer grazing and lying in my yard (and that is not an exaggeration). So unless you actually do live out here, please don't tell everyone what is or is not happening, okay?

Secondly, and this to anyone who is moving here... as I had said before, there are good things about any town and bad things. You will find those who think their rules apply to everyone, no matter if they own property or not. I experienced that living in Seattle, living in Lynnwood (about 25 miles north of Seattle) and moving here.

I don't blame you for checking out these kinds of things before moving anywhere, and I have to admit that if I had read about these things before we moved here, I might be second guessing our decision too. But I've never regretted buying the property in Diamond Point and building our dream house. But in comparison, where we lived before, also in a rural residential area, we had a woman with six kids who was selling drugs and prostitution out of her house and her oldest son was selling hand guns in the cul-de-sac. So hunters shooting deer was at least a step up.

My request is to please post what you know, not what you think you know or have read online. I do live in Diamond Point and have lived here for nearly 12 years, except for 11 months when we lived in Sunshine Acres in the east part of Sequim, which gave us an unhappy experience with homeowners associations, which we will never do again. Fortunately, our long time renter loves the house and the neighborhood and the HOA, and bought the house from us.

The reason for this forum to begin with is to get opinions of people who actually live in the area where someone wants to move. If they wanted anything else they could just google it.

Okay, end of rant!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 AM

42 posts, read 125,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
The reason for this forum to begin with is to get opinions of people who actually live in the area where someone wants to move. If they wanted anything else they could just google it.
Okay, end of rant!
Well said. That's why I posted here in the first place.

George

Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM

37 posts, read 140,993 times
eponbri i am not doubting that there are a few selecet hunters as i pointed out in my last response that are causing problems in sequim and that you have not had issuses.

how ever in my opioion based on living in small rual towns even smaller than sequim my intire life in rual usa your trying to make it sound worse than it is.

as well as the way your wording is comming accross is that the problem is worse than it is and that all hunters are doing it and that it is a huge problem in sequim.

yes i may not live in sequim yet.

but that does not mean i do not understand the hunting issuses and the fact that people tend to make more out of it than it is in every small rual town city and not just sequim.

the reason for this is people move from big city life into rual areas and have no idea are understanding of the way rual areas are and that hunting is a way of life and has bin since the start of time.

so the problem/problems start when the city slickers move to the rual country areas and than they tend to dislike the way of life and the fact that people hunt.

so they start ranting and raving and try to make things sound worse than they are as well as try to change/take over and deystore the rual america way of life and critisize rual country life.

next you yourself have even said you moved from the big city life to the rual area(sequim) and have only lived the rual life for around 10 years.

as were i myself have lived rual life my intire life(44) years.

so even though i do not live in sequim yet that does not mean i do not understand the hunting aspect of rual town america/sequim and can give input on how people tend to over state and make it sound as hunting is this big bad thing and you will have hunters tress passing all over your land and shooting both guns and bows causing stray arrows and bullets to fly through the air and hit your house are an unspecting person.

yes this can happen and it does on rare ocashions.

but again it is not a big huge problem in sequim are rual town america in general.

with this said i have no dougt eponbri you have ran into hunter in sequim that have felt there rights out way yours as this is a problem every were and not just sequim/small town america are with just hunters.

this is a problem in general though out the world were some people feel there better than the
rest and they have more rights than any one else.

so it is not right and unfair to sterio type the hunters in sequim and say there causing a big problem in sequim when this is not in reality the 100% honest thruth.

onto your point about this forum beganing was/is to get the opioion of people who acutaly live in the aera were you would like to move/live is correct.

how ever when the issuse of deer hunting was brought up by you and others and the fact you and the others were basicly trying to make it sound as it was a great big problem in sequim changed it from basicly not just about sequim tbut to hunters in reality.

so myself and Denarite stepped in to point out that deer hunting in small rual americ/sequim is being blowen out of proption and that is is not as bad as allot of people are trying to make it out to be in sequim as well as small town rual america in general.

next my last response was to let the op know and hopefully understand that he needs to understand that there are allot of forumer big city people that have moved to rual america/sequim and they have no idea what it is like to live in rual america and when they see what it is like and that hunting goes on they get all pissed off and in a up roar and what to start causing problems and make statements about how bad things like deer hunting are when in all reality it is just rual country living and they do not like it so they do everything they can to critizies the rual/country living.

so i hope this post helps you (eponbri) as well as any one that reads this response as well as i hope you (eponobri) understand that you do not always have to live in the exact town/city to give input on every thing that there is to know about the way things are in a city/town.

also i feel that Denarites post was spot on and a great post that hopefully is and will be a huge help to the op and any one else wanting info on rual town/city life in americ and sequim.
enough of my rant.

lastly i am not hear to insulat haress are pick on any one are discredit them are anything like that and i to hope to be in living in seqium here in the nere fucture.

yet i wish the city people would just stop moving to rual america and running it just because they do not like the way rual/country living is and think every thing should be like the big city.

restless in woodland wa

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM

510 posts, read 885,481 times
It is enough of the bad trespass-hunters to give a bad taste. I have no problem with people hunting in the residential area if they go get permission first. The issue I have (and it is a state problem) is the attitude of private property/trespassing. If it is an unmarked plot of 20 acres with no fence or signs in the woods--yeah, you should make an attempt before the season to figure out what land you are on. The big problem in my opinion is that many of these lots are 1-2 acres with house/shed/garage and landscaping. Be like someone coming and having a picnic on your lawn or playing horseshoes. Should be common sense that if there is a house and stuff on the lot....go ask the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington